Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:08 AM

Default AIP/How long is the wait to begin program in Oregon?

My boyfriend took a plea deal for 54 months last Thursday, & he plead guilty to 2 Attempted Assault 1 charges w / a firearm. With time served it brings his sentence down to 44 months, and we just found out yesterday that he qualifies for the SUMMIT AIP program, which I read about, & they must have less than 46 months left on their sentence to be able to apply. He still hasn't gone up to Coffee Creek & I'm not sure if they will accept him, but (if all goes well) does anybody know how long the wait is to be able to begin the program? Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,259 Times in 3,227 Posts

From what I have heard, the wait is dependent on the institution. One friend of mine has a little under 3 years to go (his M11 sentences have fallen off, so he's now eligible - he's been in for over 15 years now). He was accepted to the program, then the day *after* he moved his stuff to the AIP dorm, they changed their minds and made him move back to the normal dorm (this was at Santiam).

I know most places have at least a 6 month wait to see if he gets in, and DOC tends to prioritize people who have had enough time in that folks can get to know him, and little enough time left that they won't forget what they learn before they get out. My friend supposedly got bumped for another person who had less time remaining. He was told that 3 years is too much time left remaining to take up a slot over someone with less time remaining (which is dumb since the whole idea is to take time off the sentence, but ...).

So I would say start applying as soon as he's eligible, but don't get your hopes up too much until he's actually taking classes. Different institutions have differing amount of room in their programs/different number of programs available, and all of that, plus staff's opinion of him all come into play in determining when and if he will be accepted.