Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:43 PM

Smile Do other inmates in Oregon know what you're in for?

do all inmates at coffee creek know what each other did to get sent to coffee creek
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,693 Times in 7,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly-jo View Post
do all inmates at coffee creek know what each other did to get sent to coffee creek
Charges are usually something you keep to yourself. I'd recommend staying out of those conversations as a general rule, or really anything that amounts to gossip.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,745 Times in 3,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly-jo View Post
Eventually, yes, everyone will know what your charges are. In some prisons, inmates have to wear a badge, in others they have to carry papers on them, in others they use a card on a lanyard, but in all cases, an inmate will have some form of ID on them that will list what they were convicted of.

And rumor/gossip spreads fast. Once one person knows something about you, assume everyone (staff & inmates alike) know it. You do not have the right to privacy in prison, and even the staff will gossip.

Some inmates, when you're new, may ask you to "show your papers" - even if you have only an ID badge, they're asking you to show what you're in for. The "worst" thing you can be in for in the eyes of inmates at a women's prison is anything having to do with a child - which could be anything from child abuse to sex abuse. Drugs, alcohol, theft, these are considered "normal". Remember that every single inmate you meet will be in there for committing a felony, so everyone there was convicted of something. Depending on your charges it may be easier on you to show your papers and be done with it, or you can try to not let them know, but eventually everyone will know anyway.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Um...no. There is no requirement to "carry papers" and their badges do not list their charges on them. My husband is at OSP and most people do not know what other people did except in very general terms, it is considered invasive to ask and people don't talk about it. I've looked up various people he knows and he was surprised at the charges. Some people it is known are sex offenders from gossip, but for the most part you are either in that category or you are not. That is mostly known, but as for specifics they won't be known if you don't disclose them.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:52 AM

Trust me on any yard in Oregon if they want to know ur charges they will find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
safran (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 798 Posts

How do you make it so they don't want to?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,249 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
Trust me on any yard in Oregon if they want to know ur charges they will find out.

I think this applies to any prison nation wide; it is a fact of prison life.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I think this applies to any prison nation wide; it is a fact of prison life.
I would agree. I only have personal experience with two states on being Oregon.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,745 Times in 3,045 Posts

Quote:
How do you make it so they don't want to?
The short answer is "you don't". From what I understand, prison is a pretty boring place. Anything or anyone new is subject to interest simply because it breaks the monotony. Thus, anyone new will be checked out. It's not at all difficult to get information - they ask someone to check at visitation, and that someone comes back with a reply. Then everyone knows.

My Dad was told by the warden to not disclose certain information about himself to anyone. He did as he was asked. It was, in my Dad's words, "the best known secret in the entire place."
Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanked 11,098 Times in 6,006 Posts

Always presume that the conviction(s) can and will be discovered. Criminal proceedings are public record. In some States, they are even listed on the online locator page for the agency. This still does not mean one needs to be discussing their history with anyone who is not in a need-to-know position...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
GingerM (10-10-2017)