Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Oregon Measure 11 Basic Facts

Hi all-

Trying to understand Oregon's Measure 11 was what brought me to PTO. I would like to start a thread that focuses on explaining the basics of this legislation. I will keep adding info, but below is what I've got so far.......

(Information provided by Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_..._11_%281994%29)

Measure 11 of 1994 established mandatory minimum sentencing for several crimes in Oregon.

The measure was approved in the November 8, 1994 general election with 788,695 votes in favor, and 412,816 votes against.

Measure 11 establishes minimum prison terms for certain felonies. The sentencing judge cannot give a lesser sentence, nor can a prisoner's sentence be reduced below the minimum for parole or good behavior.

Last edited by javagirl; 04-10-2006 at 10:36 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Boss

Other facts: Kevin Mannix (who is currently running for govenor of Oregon) authored Measure 11.

The Oregon legisltaure has the power to ammend M11, but not abolish it.

In 1997, 3 more crimes were added by the Oregon Legislature- Compelling Prositution, Arson I (when death or serious physical injury is threatened).and Using a Child in Display of Sexually Explicit Conduct.

In 1997, The Legislature amended M11 to create exceptions for some Robbery II, Assault II and Kidnapping II cases.

In 2001, The Oregon Legislature amended Measure 11 to create exceptions for some Sex Abuse I, Rape II, Sodomy II and Unlawful Sexual Penetration II cases. The exceptions are available for perpetrators that are within 5 years of the victim.

The Following User Says Thank You to one_luv For This Useful Post:
Grolarbear (09-28-2015)
Old 04-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Boss

Here are some good web sites with M11 info:

This is our grassroots criminal justice activist's info:
Western Prison Project
http://www.westernprisonproject.org/info/or/story/631

This is an extensive report on the affects of M11, written by the National Criminal Justice Reference Service (US Department of Justice research)
WARNING THIS FILE IS 2.66 MB
Oregon's Measure 11 Sentencing Reform:
Implementation and System Impact

http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/grants/205507.pdf

And last, Crime Victim United of Oregon, our "tough on crime" neighborly national organization that is spearheaded mostly by parents and family members of murder victims.
http://www.crimevictimsunited.org/measure11/index.htm

Last edited by one_luv; 04-11-2006 at 12:46 AM..
Old 04-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Donation Award 

From the Oregon DOC web site:

http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/RESRCH/mea...is_Measure_11_

Oregon voters approved Ballot Measure 11 in November 1994 to apply mandatory minimum prison sentences to certain crimes against persons committed on or after April 1, 1995, with no possibility for any reduction in sentence, such as for good behavior. The list of Ballot Measure 11 offenses currently includes the following:

Murder
Attempted Murder
Attempted Aggravated Murder
Assault I
Assault II
Manslaughter I
Manslaughter II
Kidnapping I
Kidnapping II
Rape I
Rape II
Sodomy I
Sodomy II
Sexual Penetration I
Sexual Penetration II
Robbery I
Robbery II
Sexual Abuse I
Arson I
Compelling Prostitution
Use of Child in Display of Sex Act

It has been modified by legislation several times:·
House Bill 3439, passed June 1995, added Attempted Murder and Attempted Aggravated Murder. ·

Senate Bill 1049, passed July 1997 and effective October 4, 1997, added Arson I (when a serious physical threat is involved), Compelling Prostitution, and Use of Child in Display of Sex Act; it also allowed for departures from the mandatory minimum sentence for some Assault II, Kidnapping II, and Robbery II convictions, including those already sentenced. ·

House Bill 2494, passed August 1999, allowed for departures from the mandatory minimum sentence for some Manslaughter II convictions committed on or after October 23, 1999. ·

House Bill 2379, passed July 2001, allowed for departures from the mandatory minimum sentence for some Rape II, Sodomy II, Sexual Penetration II, and Sexual Abuse I convictions committed on or after January 1, 2002.

For more details on the current law, see ORS 137.700, 137.707, 137.712.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Donation Award 

I am looking for any and all oregon petitions, groups against Measure 11 or against Kevin Mannix. I was on the repeal measure 11 committee and haved a loved one locked under measure 11. I am looking to get involved again soon seeing as Kevin Mannix is running for governor, that is just what we don't need here. I am willing to make calls, type letters, gather signitures, anything that can help get rid of this stupid law and stop Mr. Mannix from gaining more power. In my oppinion, measure 11 is a horrible thing and it is locking up too many young people. let me know if you know of anything in Oregon that needs some help. thanks

You can keep us apart for now but you will never take away our love for each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKali For This Useful Post:
Alexgirl (06-03-2011)
Old 05-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Boss

The Western Prison Project http://www.westernprisonproject.org/, is the most active criminal justice grassroots organization in Oregon. They are based in Portland, but have members throughout the state. If you are serious about dedicating time, I'm sure they'd love to have you on their team.

Last edited by one_luv; 05-08-2006 at 03:00 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Donation Award 

Great!! Thanks for the heads up, I don't know why I didn't think of them. I am in Portland and it would be so easy for me to volunteer. I will contact them this week. Thanks again.

You can keep us apart for now but you will never take away our love for each other.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Boss

Wonderful. I hope you keep us updated on anything we can do to help!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Donation Award 

I will keep you all posted. I just shot them off an email and will be waiting to hear back from them soon. Thanks again for the lead. {{Hugs}}

Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Another Organization Worth Noting

HAVE BEEN OUT OF POCKET THE LAST FEW MONTHS AND AM GLAD TO SEE THERE IS AN EFFORT MADE HERE TO IDENTIFY, EXPLAIN AND HOPEFULLY RECRUIT PEOPLE TO HELP REPEAL THESE HORRIBLE MANDATORY SENTENCES THAT THE VOTERS WERE DUPED INTO VOING ON IN 1994. I HATE TO ADMIT IT BUT I VOTED IN FAVOR OF THEM AS WELL. IN ADDITION TO THE ORGANIZATIONS MENTIONED ABOVE I FOUND ANOTHER ONE I JOINED LAST YEAR AND PROVIDED LOTS INFORMATION TO. IT IS FALLED FAMM (FAMILIES AGAINST MANDATORY MINIMUMS).
http://www.famm.org/index2.htm
IT WAS FOUNDED IN 1991 AND CURRENTLY HAS ABOUT 35,000 MEMBERS NATIONWIDE. THEY LOBBY LEGISLATORS AT BOTH THE FEDERAL AND STATE LEVELS AND DEVELOPE LOCAL CHAPTERS WHEN INTEREST IS STRONG ENOUGH. HERE IS LORRAINE HELLERS' CONTACT INFORMATION FOR ANBODY WISHING TO JOIN OUR OREGON CHAPTER:
Lorraine Heller
9601 NW Leahy Rd., #301
Portland, OR 97229
503-292-5364
lorraine@trillium-hollow.org
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Boss

Thanks for the info Doug. We have got to do something to change these laws, because if not us, then who? We ARE the people.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Any word on whether or not discussions regarding M11 made it to the Agenda for the 2007 Legislative session? I can't find any details on this.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 AM

Measure 11 needs more public opinion. I have found most voters..know very little about the law. It is un-fair, Cruel and gives the DA's way to much power.
Does anyone know if it is common to have 3 judges for a plea bargain with measure 11. I don't understand why the Judge was there period? Other then to look good.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 AM

I believe the many people against Oregon's measure 11 needs a blog, maybe a lobbiest would stumble on it ...and help support reform. I have posted a few posts on Oreon Live...they are brutal..they accuse anyone who is against it "soft on crime" The father(mannix)of bm11 I hope is history in his career. Westlund is against bm11.
I know very little about computers..anyone out there interested in a blog?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:51 AM

Question oust bm11

[quote=oustmb11]Measure 11 needs more public opinion. I have found most voters..know very little about the law. It is un-fair, Cruel and gives the DA's way to much power.
Does anyone know if it is common to have 3 judges for a plea bargain with measure 11.? I don't understand why the Judge was there period? Other then to look good. HElp
Thanks
Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 PM

I really like the Western Prison Project/Safety & Justice.
Has anyone found more links on M11?
I was just looking for more info.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 AM

I believe the entire crime and punishment model of maintaining social order is fundamentally flawed and measure 11 is nothing more than an exstension of the mindset that created it.

That Kevin Mannix has been able to stay in office shows just how intellectually lazy most voters are. I am very willing to actively campaign against this moron in a business suit and anything he tries to pass off pass legislation.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,378 Times in 4,637 Posts

Actually, Kevin Mannix has not been in office for years. He's run for office but doesn't get elected (thank goodness). Mannix has made a career out of introducing and campaigning for ballot initiatives, which are passed by the voters, much to the dismay of many legislators. Mannix is funded by Loren Parks, multi-millionaire, who lives out of state now. Mannix is running for Congress for Darlene Hooley's position (Portland area). Hopefully, he'll lose there as well as we don't need him mucking around with the federal sentencing/prison system. Though he might just get tromped on and lost in Congress, which would be a good thing. Z.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 AM
He is AWESOME!!!
Donation Award 

Default i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKali View Post
I am looking for any and all oregon petitions, groups against Measure 11 or against Kevin Mannix. I was on the repeal measure 11 committee and haved a loved one locked under measure 11. I am looking to get involved again soon seeing as Kevin Mannix is running for governor, that is just what we don't need here. I am willing to make calls, type letters, gather signitures, anything that can help get rid of this stupid law and stop Mr. Mannix from gaining more power. In my oppinion, measure 11 is a horrible thing and it is locking up too many young people. let me know if you know of anything in Oregon that needs some help. thanks
I 100% agree with you! A fight got my friend 6 years w/Measure 11
Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM

Also this year on the ballot the Oregon government wants us to vote on adding drug and property crimes to measure 11. What they don't want us to know is that if this amendment is passed then we are also authorizing the building of 3 more prisons in Oregon and 4,000 to 6,000 more Oregonians going to prison on mandatory sentences. I have spoken with several inmates on this matter and they all say to get everyone to vote "NO!!!" on this. It seems like the Oregon government isn't going to be happy until they have all or most Oregonians in prison or behind bars somehow
Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Donation Award 

Unfortunately there are two measures on this years ballot that if voted in in November will continue to lock up our young people, take money from schools and continue to fund the building of more prisons which is what this state doesn't need. The statistics of what measure 11 has already done to our state is outrageous. The campaigns are misleading Oregonians into thinking they are voting in something "good" and that is really hurting any chance that there is of fighting measure 11 and Kevin Mannix. Thank goodness that he is not going to be elected into any office this year, that could have mad a bigger mess out of the one we already have.
Here is an article to help everyone see the financial impact of this on Oregon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mannix's tough-on-crime measure will be on Oregon ballot

Voters will get to choose from two public safety plans in November,
with very different costs

Friday, April 11, 2008 ASHBEL S. GREEN

The Oregonian Staff

An initiative that would set three-year mandatory minimum prison sentences for first-time drug dealers, burglars and identity thieves has qualified for the November ballot.
Elections officials on Thursday said measure supporters collected 84,169 valid signatures, 1,400 more than needed.

It's the first initiative to qualify for the November ballot. Another dozen measures targeting taxes, unions, lawsuits and more could end up before voters in what is expected to be a busy election.

Sponsored by Republican Kevin Mannix, the anti-crime measure would increase Oregon's prison population by an estimated 4,000 to 6,000 inmates and cost $128 million to $200 million a year.

Oregon voters will have another, less expensive, crime-fighting choice on the November ballot: a measure backed by the Oregon Legislature that would send an estimated 1,600 burglars, car thieves and drug dealers to prison at a cost of about $50 million a year.

The legislative proposal, which targets repeat offenders, also includes $20 million a year for drug treatment and local jails.

The legislative proposal also includes a key clause: If voters approve both measures, only the one with more votes goes into effect.

Mannix touted his plan.

"This mandatory minimum sentence measure guarantees accountability and justice," he said. "And we shouldn't be patsies and let drug dealers and identity thieves and burglars get a free pass on their first convictions, which is what they get on the legislative referral."

Sen. Floyd Prozanski, D-Eugene, said the legislative measure was widely supported by prosecutors, police and jail officials who know a lot more about fighting crime than Mannix.

"What's really faulty about Kevin's measure, besides not having any treatment, is that he treats everyone the same no matter what their criminal history," Prozanski said. "He's just completely out of step with dealing with the issue."

The Legislature passed its measure in the February session. Although some Republicans attacked it for being weak, it received wide bipartisan support, despite efforts by Mannix to cast it as a soft Democratic counter-proposal.

Dueling ballot measures are unusual in Oregon, and it almost didn't happen. Mannix and legislators had tentatively agreed on a compromise proposal, but he later pulled out, saying he didn't like some of the provisions.

Prozanski accused Mannix of reneging on the deal when he decided to run for Congress after Rep. Darlene Hooley, D-Ore., made a surprise announcement in February that she would not run for re-election.

Prozanski accused Mannix of planning to use the initiative to skirt federal campaign finance laws.

"This is another way to get his face out in front of the voters," Prozanski said.
Mannix said he had no idea Hooley was going to retire when he put the measure together in 2006 and will not run the measure's campaign if he is the Republican congressional nominee.

He said he's backing his initiative for the same reason he wrote Measure 11, the 1994 initiative that set mandatory minimum sentences for killers, sex offenders and armed robbers: "To put predators behind bars."

Ashbel S. Green: 503-221-8202; tonygreen@news.oregonian.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue to get the word out on how bad these measures are and to vote NO on them in a few short weeks.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Always Rocky's Girl

It would be wonderful to be able to vote no on both of these ballots, however, voting a no/no campaign would be like not voting at all. Both of these ballots will pass...let me say it again....both of these ballots will pass! We do not need 61 to pass as it is a terrible terrible measure! Measure 57 is not so great either, however, it does allow good time earned, AIP for those eligable and has funding for rehabilitation. 57 is better then 61....however, I wish neither one was being presented. 57 will cost half of what 61 does. These measure read that the higher of the two votes will be the one they move forward with. We already know from polling that 61 was going to win by a landslide which is why 57 was put together to give voters a sense of "getting the criminal off the streets" and do it with less cost to all of us. With 61 we believe there will be an increase of about 6500 men and women entering the system including first time offenders. With 57 there will be an increase to the population of 1400 to 1600.

Please think carefully but know this...if you vote no on both will be like not voting at all because of how it reads....the one with the most votes win!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:30 AM

to me it seems like the government in Oregon has already made up it's mind the only reason they are allowing us to vote on the issue is to give the appearance that we actually have a say in the matter...
Old 11-14-2010, 12:17 AM

Default sassymarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oustmb11 View Post
Measure 11 needs more public opinion. I have found most voters..know very little about the law. It is un-fair, Cruel and gives the DA's way to much power.
Does anyone know if it is common to have 3 judges for a plea bargain with measure 11. I don't understand why the Judge was there period? Other then to look good.
Thanks
I feel the same way in Sept.2010 my son was sentenced on a measure 11. His record is not even sorta bad, but because of this measure he got 6 yrs. the asst. DA got a notch in his belt for putting someone away that could have gotten maybe a year an help if the DA didn't have such a ego. Thanks So I don't understand either but know we know we have to do something.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 AM

I need to know if anyone can tell me how to get this back in the news an back in peoples faces. I mean Measure 11 it's a BAD MEASURE. Also how do the moms out there deal with there son/daughter locked up. It's hard I know that
Closed Thread