Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 AM

Default sassymarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nice View Post
I believe the entire crime and punishment model of maintaining social order is fundamentally flawed and measure 11 is nothing more than an exstension of the mindset that created it.

That Kevin Mannix has been able to stay in office shows just how intellectually lazy most voters are. I am very willing to actively campaign against this moron in a business suit and anything he tries to pass off pass legislation.
I sure agree with that statement, Measure 11 is definitly flawed, it leaves what to do in the Da's hands,then he tell the PD of inmate he needs to plea like this or bad things will happen. So PD tells inmate u must agree if u want to or not, then bad things happen.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

PD's don't tell their clients they "have to agree if you want to or not." PD's are required to take any plea offer to their client that the D.A. offers. Then they lay out the client's options and gives their advice or assessment of the case - and then the client decides. A lot of defendants feel backed into a corner but it's M11 that puts their back against the wall - not the PD. And ultimately, it's the client's decision. If a client tell his attorney he wants to go to trial - he's going to trial. So don't believe anybody who says his attorney "made him take a plea."
Old 11-20-2010, 01:01 PM

i was just wondering if anyone has heard nething on ne good time given to measure 11 guys... i know there has been some talk about getting at least 15 % good time

Old 11-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlezwifey View Post
i was just wondering if anyone has heard nething on ne good time given to measure 11 guys... i know there has been some talk about getting at least 15 % good time
No, no and no. This is pretty much a dead issue. The Oregon Voters would show up at any legislators doors with pitchforks and torches if they even suspected someone was going to propose it.

This does not mean that some legislators, and many others, may not privately think it's a good idea, but in Oregon's mindset, letting anyone (especially Measure 11 folks) out early just isn't in the cards.

Last year, when they proposed an additional 10% good time for non-violent offenders, and it passed, it only took a couple of months to get repealed because of the public outcry against it. We have short memories sometimes.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Measure 11 or any manditory minimum sentencing is just moronic. To think that every crime and violator are exactly the same it ludicris. Allowing the jury and the judge to determine sentencing on the facts of the case is the only way to do it. My girl committed a Measure 11 crime that got her sentenced to 70 months. She committed her crime while intoxicated to a girl who she wanted out of her house. This girl had just smoked pot with my girl's 12 year old daughter while she was out of the house. Yet there was another case a few months after hers where a woman had beat her boyfriend in the head with a hammer because she caught him cheating. They both got 70 months. The boyfriend spent several months in the hospital and nearly died from his injuries. Also the woman had been in and out of jail and prison most of her life. My girlfriend's victim received a few stitches at the emergency room, where the attending doctor stated they were not life threatening, has never had as much as a speeding ticket. Yet they received the exact same sentence. I am not saying my GF deserved no sentence, because she did and she knows it, but 70 months for a non-life threatening injury.

THIS CRAZY LAW NEEDS TO BE REPEALED!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ILOVEAMBER For This Useful Post:
mothersharon (04-14-2011), TLAn4ever (04-06-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Default Oregon Criminal Justice Report on Measure 11

The recent Oregon Criminal Justice Commission's report on Measure 11 was way overdue and confirms that Measure 11 laws are flawed. The report concluded that the certainty in sentencing promised in 1994 by Kevin Mannix, chief petitioner for Measure 11, hasn't occurred. "The predicable sentence is only arrived at in the minority of the cases where a prosecutor, not a judge, decided it was appropriate and necessary" the report said. "In only 28 percent of the cases indicted did Measure 11 accomplish the goal of assuring the judge imposed the sentence the chief petitioner claimed was the minimum necessary." As a result of this shift in power prosecutors have become the real judges in our Counties and the judges just "rubber stamp" whatever the prosecutor decides at sentencing. In the few Measure 11 cases that ever make it to trial the judge is just a figure head the oversees the trial proceedings. Prosecutors/Judges in many cases drive defendants to take plea bargains that are in reality not justice. Once a plea bargain is accepted there is no opportunity for appeals. There is a reason our Founding Fathers created an independent judiciary. You have a magistrate who decides who to believe, what to believe and what to do about it. With Measure 11 you have largely done away with that system.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyanide360 For This Useful Post:
mothersharon (05-17-2011), swooden (04-12-2011), TLAn4ever (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide360 View Post
The recent Oregon Criminal Justice Commission's report on Measure 11 was way overdue and confirms that Measure 11 laws are flawed. The report concluded that the certainty in sentencing promised in 1994 by Kevin Mannix, chief petitioner for Measure 11, hasn't occurred. "The predicable sentence is only arrived at in the minority of the cases where a prosecutor, not a judge, decided it was appropriate and necessary" the report said. "In only 28 percent of the cases indicted did Measure 11 accomplish the goal of assuring the judge imposed the sentence the chief petitioner claimed was the minimum necessary." As a result of this shift in power prosecutors have become the real judges in our Counties and the judges just "rubber stamp" whatever the prosecutor decides at sentencing. In the few Measure 11 cases that ever make it to trial the judge is just a figure head the oversees the trial proceedings. Prosecutors/Judges in many cases drive defendants to take plea bargains that are in reality not justice. Once a plea bargain is accepted there is no opportunity for appeals. There is a reason our Founding Fathers created an independent judiciary. You have a magistrate who decides who to believe, what to believe and what to do about it. With Measure 11 you have largely done away with that system.
About time they start to realize this law is only working a very small amount of the time. Nothing will probably change before my GF gets out, but hopefully other families will not have to suffer these barbaric sentences in the future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ILOVEAMBER For This Useful Post:
mothersharon (04-14-2011), Rachel011 (03-02-2014), TLAn4ever (04-07-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Buddy loves Shar

we shouldn't give up hope....

The Following User Says Thank You to swooden For This Useful Post:
mothersharon (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:19 PM

never never give up hope..
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM

my daughter was charged with bank robbery, they gave her 70 months for each teller. so she received 14 years 10 months for four tellers. First offence. she has already done 7 years 2 months.There is no justice in that, measure 11 does need to be repealed. 14 years 10 months is a harsh punishment for stupiedity dont you think ? I get so angry sometimes over this ,crimes should not be lumped together, EACH should be judged and sentenced ,that is my feeling. I hate measure 11
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 PM

One of my bfs was charged 4 years ago with rape that was not rape she called rape when her bf walked in. my bf was given 22 years and now he wants to clear his name and come home. this b**** got away with telling police and courts lies then she had the nerve to admit she did it to get even with a black man based on what another black man did to her. she is the one who should be behind bars not him. I hope M11 will now get him home.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Default second look and judges descression on sexual assult1 My son has 2 accounts

My son has 2 accounts for asotomy first degree and 2 counts of sexual ae DA is offering a plea bargain to drop the charges of asotomy. he still will havssault. The to serve 6 years 3 months in oya. its sad because us as parents turned him in so he could get help and now I feel the legal system craped on us. i am so scared for my son. He is only 15 and he does not have the mentality of an adult to make decisions. he is sentenced under the horrible Measure 11 in Oregon. Any advice. I read about second look measure. does he qualify under that and also I read the judge has dicresion over the sentencing on sexual assult 1? when he commited the crime he and 2 girls were playn a game I touch you, You touch me and made bad decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_luv View Post
Other facts: Kevin Mannix (who is currently running for govenor of Oregon) authored Measure 11.

The Oregon legisltaure has the power to ammend M11, but not abolish it.

In 1997, 3 more crimes were added by the Oregon Legislature- Compelling Prositution, Arson I (when death or serious physical injury is threatened).and Using a Child in Display of Sexually Explicit Conduct.

In 1997, The Legislature amended M11 to create exceptions for some Robbery II, Assault II and Kidnapping II cases.

In 2001, The Oregon Legislature amended Measure 11 to create exceptions for some Sex Abuse I, Rape II, Sodomy II and Unlawful Sexual Penetration II cases. The exceptions are available for perpetrators that are within 5 years of the victim.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Donation Award 

You and he should talk with his attorney about whether the Second Look statute would apply. I believe it may not apply to sex offenses. He will get more help in OYA than he would in adult prison - that's for sure. At some point, if he makes progress in OYA custody, he may be able to transfer to a less secure facility and eventually to community placement. The legislature just cut funding to OYA so they will have a lot less beds in the locked institutions. If your son can follow the rules and cooperate, that will be helpful for him making progress toward coming home. Don't beat yourself up about turning him in - what's done is done. You are not alone in that. If it really was mutual, then it's really important that, before your son takes a plea bargain, that the attorney get a really good investigator to talk with the alleged victims and their acquaintances and teachers. On the other hand, if you were not there, you may not know what really happened and it's the attorney who has access to the interviews with the alleged victims, etc. If the lawyer has the video taped interviews, he should be having your son view those also. If your son doesn't trust his lawyer, he needs to ask for a new one.

Last edited by Zelda50; 07-02-2011 at 08:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Scott (07-02-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM

I don't know if anyone read the story on the Aloha couple who were charged with I think 47 counts each and then got sentenced in WA, does anyone know why that is? I know that it was a federal case maybe that's why? I am just wondering because my man's trial date is coming up (I am freaking out) and I don't know anything about all this stuff, but his charges are m11 and the state is pressing charges what makes a case a federal matter? Also, I don't know if anyone has gone through a M11 trial involved with SO but any information would be appreciated a lot!
Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_will_be_here View Post
I don't know if anyone read the story on the Aloha couple who were charged with I think 47 counts each and then got sentenced in WA, does anyone know why that is? I know that it was a federal case maybe that's why? I am just wondering because my man's trial date is coming up (I am freaking out) and I don't know anything about all this stuff, but his charges are m11 and the state is pressing charges what makes a case a federal matter? Also, I don't know if anyone has gone through a M11 trial involved with SO but any information would be appreciated a lot!
That case consisted of some of the most serious and horrible sex-abuse charges I have read about. What made it a Federal Case was that the photos the couple took of their children were sold, traded, downloaded and generally offered on the internet (across State lines) - they also had State charges, which I believe they pled guilty to, but they will serve Federal Prison time first. Probably a good thing for them considering the publicity around the case.

The determining factor is most probably whether the incident or behavior occurred in MORE than one State - For example, if a minor is involved and the person drives the minor across State lines - even Portland to Vancouver, it makes it a Federal Case. As long as the incident in question took place in one local jurisdiction (i.e. within the State of Oregon), it's probably a State case. Also, Measure 11 wouldn't apply to Federal Cases...
Old 07-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Oh okay, thank you Scott. Wow... I had no idea what all was involved in that case, I was just shocked and maybe I read it wrong, it said that they were being charged for the same things in WA and OR and that in OR the man was going to get 50 years for 47 counts and then they were sent to WA. Idk I am just looking at all the cases in Oregon right now to trying to get an idea of what it's going to be like. Anyways thank you for answering my questions! In one way I wish that it was a federal case so that this stinking m11 thing wouldn't apply. Thanks again Scott your always so helpful.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Donation Award 

Some crimes are federal. Some are state. Some are both. If both, it really depends on whether the feds want to pick up the case or not. Usually they will if it's high profile, particularly serious or the offender is a chronic offender and they want to make sure he does a lot of time. Some crimes can be prosecuted (like bank robbery) in BOTH courts for the same offense.

If someone has federal and state charges, they should always have the two attorneys coordinate - and it is advantageous to serve the federal sentence FIRST or else they will end up being consecutive for sure.
I_will_be_here (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM

It is all so confusing! agh. Does anyone know if setencing for M11 has any kind of guidlines as far as first offenders? And I am sure that it's not something anyone can give advice on but, if the person who is being tried really is a good person, who needs therapy/treatment etc will it help them at all to tell the court that and show pictures and letters and let them know that they really are a good person? I am just wondering... He is so young and to lock him up for 50+ years, they might as well just be giving him life... I am so worried.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
It is all so confusing! agh. Does anyone know if setencing for M11 has any kind of guidlines as far as first offenders? And I am sure that it's not something anyone can give advice on but, if the person who is being tried really is a good person, who needs therapy/treatment etc will it help them at all to tell the court that and show pictures and letters and let them know that they really are a good person? I am just wondering... He is so young and to lock him up for 50+ years, they might as well just be giving him life... I am so worried.
Measure 11 has no provisions for first offenders - everything completely depends on whether the crime fits into one of the M11 guidelines. It's all mandated by law... not really a lot of serious wiggle room once it becomes a M11 crime.

Of course everyone recognizes that there are problems with any "one size fits all" sentencing alternative. The the Oregon voters seem to love it. The emphasis in Oregon really isn't on rehabilitation of the offender, but keeping him/her off the street so there are no further victims.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Donation Award 

With Measure 11, the most important part of the case is in the preparation. All that information about age, motivation for treatment, lack of prior convictions, is information that the defense attorney can use to talk to the prosecutor and perhaps arrange a plea agreement to a charge that is NOT Measure 11. Or a charge for an Attempted (what the charge) which would be eligible for a Second Look for a juvenile. Once someone has been convicted of a Measure 11 charge, then that's the sentence which will be imposed - all the other info doesn't matter. So the earlier the better in getting positive (what is called "mitigating") information to the defense attorney - and documentation from professionals is helpful also. If your child was learning disabled, gather the documentation from the school. If he has mental health problems, gather the documentation from therapists, medical doctor, etc. You get what I'm saying...
I_will_be_here (07-24-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 AM

Well the weird part about this case was that we didn't know what he was even being charged of until he was arrested and in jail and they charges him with a major SO which is a M11. So I don't think I can do anything at this point, which is really $hitty... I have done everything that I know of to do (which really isn't alot) I was just looking for info. Plus not to sound like a broken record but the P.D is really not doing anything, I have gathered more information than he has and it makes me mad that he isn't doing crap, he isn't even fighting for any kind of plea's the DA said the plea she'd give him was 50 years. I just think that is totally f'd even for an SO... Maybe I am wrong.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Well the weird part about this case was that we didn't know what he was even being charged of until he was arrested and in jail and they charges him with a major SO which is a M11. So I don't think I can do anything at this point, which is really $hitty... I have done everything that I know of to do (which really isn't alot) I was just looking for info. Plus not to sound like a broken record but the P.D is really not doing anything, I have gathered more information than he has and it makes me mad that he isn't doing crap, he isn't even fighting for any kind of plea's the DA said the plea she'd give him was 50 years. I just think that is totally f'd even for an SO... Maybe I am wrong.
It's not a question of being "wrong", or "right". You are entitled to your opinion and, as for most people who have "issues", treatment is almost always more effective than prison. Our system, however, isn't really built around the needs of the offender as much as it is the needs of the victim and community. There are many who consider that a short-sighted view.

Measure 11 really does tie the hands of the courts. That is certainly a fact. I am sorry your friend made the choices which have embroiled him in this mess - and I certainly hold out hope for him, and his family and loved ones, that whatever the resolution turns out to be, it will be a resolution everyone can maturely come to deal with.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Measure 11 really does tie the hands of the courts. That is certainly a fact. I am sorry your friend made the choices which have embroiled him in this mess - and I certainly hold out hope for him, and his family and loved ones, that whatever the resolution turns out to be, it will be a resolution everyone can maturely come to deal with.
Thank you, we are definitely not giving up hope. And I am going to stand by his side till the end of our lives and make sure that he does get the help he needs. Thanks again Scott,
Old 07-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Donation Award 

If HE doesn't trust his public defender, he needs to ask for a new one. That said, he is the client - not you. And the lawyer doesn't always share all the information with anyone but the client.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Buddy loves Shar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothersharon View Post
my daughter was charged with bank robbery, they gave her 70 months for each teller. so she received 14 years 10 months for four tellers. First offence. she has already done 7 years 2 months.There is no justice in that, measure 11 does need to be repealed. 14 years 10 months is a harsh punishment for stupiedity dont you think ? I get so angry sometimes over this ,crimes should not be lumped together, EACH should be judged and sentenced ,that is my feeling. I hate measure 11
That is so messed up. It's different out here in Colorado. But I heard Oregon is no joke when it comes to the law. Keep your head up!

Closed Thread