Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,719 Times in 3,037 Posts
Default New to Oregon DOC: What you need to know V.2

Revision 2, as of October 2012.

Cheat sheet for first timers on the outside: This information has been compiled from the many here who have posted their experiences. Thank you to all of you who have gone before me and are riding this ride with me right now for all the information you have been willing to share.

The official “cheat sheet” may be found on DOC’s website as a .pdf here: http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/OPS/PRISON...al_jan2009.pdf Note that it is a ‘general’ instruction manual, and some of it is somewhat out of date.

How do I know when my loved one is at coffee creek?

[Coffee Creek is where all inmates start out; this is where intake processing is done and where the powers that be decide which institution to place the inmate in. The inmate will be at coffee creek around 4 weeks, possibly up to 6, before they find out where their permanent home is. Initially, they won’t be able to call you, so mail is your friend. They will not be allowed any visitation at all during intake, but will be able to make phone calls. If your loved one is female, she will serve the remainder of her sentence at Coffee Creek, which doubles as the Women’s Prison as well as the DOC intake center.]

Go here: http://docpub.state.or.us/OOS/intro.jsf
Click “I agree”

Type your loved one’s name into the boxes. A table will come up listing all the people with that name. Look at birthdays and click on the SID number until you find who you’re looking for. If you don’t find the person you’re looking for, they have not yet gotten into the system.

How do I write my loved one?

To write to any DOC inmate, address the envelope to:

[Name of recipient] [Recipients SID number (see ‘how do I know when my loved one is at coffee creek?’)]
[Name of Institution they’re housed at]
[Address of Institution as found on the DOC website for that particular institution]

So writing to someone in Coffee Creek would look something like this:

John Doe SID 123456789
Coffee Creek Correctional Institution
24499 SW Grahams Ferry Road
PO Box 9000
Wilsonville, OR

Make sure to put your return address, including your full (first and last) name, on the envelope or it won’t get to the addressee. Don’t put anything on the envelope aside from the address, your return address and postage (no lipstick kisses, glitter, kid’s stickers etc.) You can draw on the envelope using colored pencils or non-toxic markers. Address labels are allowed as long as the label has a full name on it.

You can have up to 10 pages of paper, as long as the envelope is no more than ¼ inch thick. They do accept big envelopes (like the manila kind). If you’re as verbose as I am, you can print double-sided (20 pages of letter on 10 pages of paper). You can also send 10 “photographs”; they define a “photograph” as one sheet – so you can send 10 pages with 4 or 6 pictures per page (40 – 60 pictures). You can have 10 of EACH inside one envelope (10 pages of letter, plus 10 pages of pictures).

You can include drawings done in colored pencil or non-toxic markers (no crayon), but quite a few people have reported that it seems hit-or-miss as to whether drawings get rejected or not, even when they follow all the rules. A couple of people have had good luck with making a color photocopy of the drawings first, then writing clearly "This is a Photocopy" at the top of the page. Drawings count as one of the "photographs".

Your mail will be returned if it’s overly sexual (especially pictures, even comic/anime pictures) or if the people reading the mail consider it too likely to upset the inmate, if they believe it is written in code, contains information likely to lead to the commission of another crime, or contains gang-related material (insignia, pictures, etc).

Send mail only through the US Post Office (no FedEx/UPS etc).

If you want more detail, this link takes you to the Oregon Administrative Rule on inmate mail. It’s a dry read. http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/...1/291_131.html

Can I send him/her something?

The link immediately above this section for the OAR on inmate mail applies to packages as well.

Oregon does not allow care packages to be sent to inmates like some other states do.

Magazine subscriptions can be sent to the inmate, as can books. I have not been able to find any limitation on the number of subscriptions an inmate may have.

For magazines, give the subscription in the inmate’s name with the inmate’s mailing address, including SID. If you send them a magazine subscription, ask them to send you back the mailing label with the name of the magazine written on it – that way if they get transferred, you can change their mailing address for them fairly easily.

Books must come from a retailer or reseller, such as Barnes & Noble, Amazon or Powell’s. Books can be shipped via FedEx and/or UPS (Some county jails do not allow anything except US Post Office; prisons allow for other common couriers – for county jails, check with the individual county jail’s website). Each institution, or even each unit within an institution may have a limit on the number of books an inmate may have at any given time. For instance, Unit 13 at OSCI limits books to 5 books at any given time. The limit seems based on storage space availability. Prior to sending more books, check with your loved one to see if s/he has a limit and if so, if s/he’s got enough “room” for more books.

For emergency medications or other emergency information, contact the prison directly for prior approval before sending anything. Some items may be sent with prior approval and a package pre-authorization form. Usually this is for religious items, but may also include things like orthotic shoes and the like.

How do I call my loved one?

You may have already dealt with the local jail phone system. The rules (and provider) have probably changed, either way, you have to go through the process all over again.

First, you can’t call your loved one. Your loved one must be the one to call you. When s/he enters Coffee Creek for intake, s/he will be taught how to set up their phone account.

Types of calls made:

Collect calls: these aren’t actually collect, they still charge the inmate a “connection fee” ranging from $2 to $4 to place the call. Then you get charged the collect call fee and they get charged a fee. This is the most expensive way to stay in phone contact. And? Some phone companies don't allow collect calls. Some cell phone carriers do and some don't, some local phone exchanges do and some don't. Collect calls really should be considered a stop-gap measure.

Prepaid calls: TelMate serves all Oregon Prison systems and calls are a flat fee of 16¢ per minute anywhere in the US. Overseas calls are more expensive. You can set up your account online at www.telmate.com or you can call their customer service line at 1-866-516-0115.

Online:
1. go to telmate.com
2. in the pull-down menu under "friends & family", choose "send money"
3. Click on Oregon on the map
4. click on "Oregon State Penitentiary" in the menu under "DOC"
5. a new screen will pop up telling you to log in; log in
6. click "I agree, log in" on their terms of service page
7. on the lefthand side, click "invite resident"
8. type in your loved one's name and choose Oregon State Penitentiary from the pull down menu
9. Find your loved one and add him to your contacts.
10. Go to your contacts and choose "Prepaid" for phone or "Commissary" for his commissary account.
The rest is pretty self-explanatory. Somewhere in there they will have a screen that will say "verify phone number" and on that screen it will say "call now" or "call me now" or something like that. Use that button to get your number in the system.

Money may be put on an inmate’s account either online, by phone or by snail mail. The above information will work for doing it by phone or online.

For snail mail, first you need to purchase a money order.

On the money order in the "To" section, you put "Telmate." In the "From" section, you put your name and your "account #" which is your phone number.

In the envelope, put a separate sheet of paper which has the inmate's name and where they are located. (i.e., John Jones, Oregon DOC, Oregon State Penitentiary). Write on that sheet of paper "General Account" if you want it to go to the inmate's account where he can call anyone. Put "Designated Account" if it's for an account where the inmate can only call you.

Then mail all of that to: Telmate LCC, P.O. Box 1137, Fruitland, ID, 83619. Make sure you do not send a money order in which has been given to you by someone else to send unless you know and trust them well because there are a lot of fake money orders out there.

There is no fee to put money on an inmate’s PHONE account no matter which way you do it.

How do I put money on their books?

Every inmate has what is officially called an “Inmate Trust Account,” otherwise known as a “Commissary Account.”

The least expensive (and slowest) way to add money is described on the DOC website here: http://www.oregon.gov/doc/Pages/index.aspx If you look around enough, eventually you will stumble onto this:

Funds may be placed on an inmate's Central Trust account with either a money order or cashier's check. The Department of Corrections cannot accept cash or personal checks.

1. Make the money order/cashier's check payable to: "DOC" with the inmate's name and SID number.

Example:

Payable to: DOC for John Doe, SID #1234567.

You must write the name and mailing address of purchaser, including city, state, and zip code on the money order/cashier's check AND in the return address area of the mailing envelope. PLEASE NOTE: This information must be current and legible or your item will be returned.

-and-

Mail the money order/cashier's check to:

Central Trust, Inmate's Name and SID Number
Oregon Department of Corrections
PO Box 14400
Salem, OR 97309-5077

The money will be put in the inmate's account upon receipt through the mail.

Slightly more expensive, but much faster , is to add money to their account using TelMate ($4.50 per transaction no matter how much money you add). It’s the same process as adding money to their phone, except you specify that you want to put the money in their “commissary” account instead of the “prepaid” account.

Even more expensive (and still on ODOC’s website), but not any faster, is to use JPay or Access Corrections. JPay is more expensive no matter what. Access Corrections is $2.95 - $3.95 if you add less than $20, but over that amount, and TelMate is cheaper.

What about visitation?

While a person is in the intake center at Coffee Creek, you will not be allowed to visit. The intake process may take up to 6 weeks. From what I can tell, it usually takes roughly a month, give or take a week or two.

The first step, which YOU can do, is to get a visitor’s application submitted. The approval process can take up to 2 months, and can be started while your loved one is in Coffee Creek, even though you won’t be able to visit there. Click here for Printable Visiting Form (word document).

Fill out all the information, and follow the rules at the bottom for how to submit it. You do not need to sign the form. The process, in a nutshell, goes like this: submit application, DoC looks it over and decides whether you’re eligible or not. If it’s approved, it goes to the inmate for his/her signature. So approval is really two steps: 1) DOC has to approve you and 2) The person you want to visit has to approve you as a visitor.

If you’re not approved, you can appeal the ruling, but that’s a bit long for discussion here. See here for more information on the appeals process: http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/OPS/visiti...Appeal_process

How do I visit someone?

First you need to find out what prison they’ve been sent to as their ‘home base.’ See the instructions above for “How do I know if my loved one is at Coffee Creek.” Enter the persons SID if you know it, otherwise, search by name.

Next, unless you live very near to the prison, you’ll need to find out how to drive there and where to stay. You can check here for the “official” listings: http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/OPS/PRISON/index.shtml

Now that you have a place to stay and a way to get there, you need to show up to go visit. Weekdays tend to have the least number of people. They also cost the inmate fewer visitation points. Each inmate gets 24 visitation points per month. Weekday visits use 1 point per person per visitation session (two sessions per day). Weekend visits cost 2 points per person per visitation. A “person” is defined as anyone between the ages of 18 to 65. Anyone under 18 or over 65 doesn’t cost any points no matter what day they visit. If you want to read the full rules, see here: http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/...1/291_127.html

Again, depending on the institution, your best bet is to arrive 30 minutes or so prior to the opening time of visitation and get your name on the waiting list (or take a number or whatever that particular institution is set up for). This will speed up the process and give you more time to visit, especially if you’re there on a slow day.

While the state issues rules, each different institution has its own internal rules. You can get more information by clicking on the specific institution here to find the phone number to call with questions: http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/OPS/PRISON/index.shtml

What to do and what not to do:

Parking: don’t leave any valuables visible in the car. This may be blatantly obvious, but don’t leave children or pets in the car when you go inside. You will only be allowed to take your ID card, one car key and (depending on the institution) $15 - $20 in quarters into the visiting room with you. No cell phones, no wallets, no feminine hygiene products, no paper except for pictures, which the guards will look at. If you need to make yourself a list of things to discuss, you can write it on the palm of your hand.

If you showed up early to get your name on the list (again, depending on the institution), you may find yourself sitting in your car again. Bring a book. Be prepared to do some walking, depending on the institution you’re going to. Most of them, the parking lot is a fair hike from where you will be entering the facility.

Wear clothing that has as little metal on it as you can (ladies, please note: underwires are not allowed). This will help you get through the metal detectors. Take a second set of clothing with you in case the guards don’t like what you’re wearing. Generally, you want to stay covered up (no tanks tops, spaghetti straps, shorts, short skirts etc.) Do not wear blue jeans, and in some places light blue shirts are prohibited (inmates wear blue jeans and light blue shirts, they don’t want you looking like an inmate). Dress conservatively. Best bet is to not wear any color vaguely resembling blue, no matter what the material is.

Don’t wear a lot of jewelry or anything that makes you look wealthy. This will not help you get through the metal detectors, and it may cause your loved one problems later on. If you have multiple piercings, you may want to remove as many rings/studs/gauges as you can before entering, unless they’re made of some material other than metal.

You may also want to bring $10 - $20 or so in change with you for the vending machines. Refer to the specific institution for what’s allowed and not allowed. You are allowed to buy items out of the vending machines to give to your loved one, but you will not be allowed to share (e.g. eat chips from the same bag, drink from the same bottle/can/cup, etc.) Anything you buy from the vending machines must be either consumed fully or thrown away – you won’t be allowed to take it with you when you leave.

You can take in pictures or drawings to show your loved one, but you can’t leave it behind. You’ll have to take it back out with you when you leave.

State rules say that you can only have 2 people in the visitor’s room at a time; however, some institutions allow more than that. Again, calling the institution in advance is a good idea. Young children don’t count as “visitors”. Visitors over 65 years old count towards the number of people in the visitor’s room, but do not count towards visitation points.

And finally:

This is a trying time for those on the outside as well as those on the inside. Stress levels can run high; anxiety and agitation can be severe. Breathe deeply, take things one step at a time. You’ll make it.

Disclaimer:
This post is up to date as of 10/24/2012. While I have put every effort into ensuring its accuracy, ODOC may change rules at any time and with little or no warning. Please refer to the official DOC rules. I am related to an inmate housed in a DOC institution; I am not a representative nor employee of ODOC.

As of this writing, ODOC is rolling out new MP3 players which inmates will be able to purchase through the commissary. The MP3 players will be capable of playing music (available from kiosks), getting text messages and receiving photographs. The MP3 player data (texts, pictures etc) will be handled through TelMate. As of this writing, the MP3 players are not fully online in the system and DOC is still working the bugs out of it.

TelMate has also offered video visitation, but that is in the very early stages of adoption as of this writing.

Last edited by GingerM; 08-21-2018 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: updated broken link
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
georgio (11-08-2013), Graciethebeagle (06-27-2013), Kimimi (03-20-2017), Okasan (11-05-2012), oregon mother (11-25-2014), PoppySeed (11-08-2017), Scarytimesmom (02-08-2016), TLAn4ever (11-03-2012), victors1girl (01-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Addendum:

Video visitation started going live on 11/1/12. It began with Snake River and Warner Creek and as of 11/3/12, is slowly rolling out to the rest of the institutions.

Video visitation is set up through TelMate's website or by the inmate.

I will update the above when the system is fully online and the bugs are worked out of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Okasan (11-05-2012), TLAn4ever (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 AM
lost without my love

One thing I would add about when they are in reception at Coffee Creek is that they are only given 5 envelopes while they are there and have no way to get more, so do not expect more than maybe a letter a week if they ration them out. It does not mean they aren't thinking of you and you can write them as much as you like, which they will probably be extremely grateful for. They also can only make phone calls when they are out of their cell, and that is only for an hour a day. Patience, and try to keep your letters and calls upbeat because most people in reception, especially if it's their first time are normally feeling a little shell shocked just like those left at home. Just remember this too shall pass....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TLAn4ever For This Useful Post:
GingerM (11-03-2012), Okasan (11-05-2012), victors1girl (01-24-2013)
Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Addendum:

There is a $100 maximum on adding money to an inmates commissary account through TelMate's website. I'm not sure if that same limit applies to adding funds to the commissary account by phone. Using JPay online, the maximum is $300.
Okasan (11-05-2012), Scarytimesmom (02-08-2016)
Old 11-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Addendum:

The easiest way (IMO) to find a hotel nearby any prison:

1. go to google maps
2. type in the address of the institution into the big search bar at the top of the page
3. hit the little button that looks like a magnifying glass
4. on the left, the address will be displayed next to a large letter "A"
5. Underneath the address from #4 is a small link that says "search nearby"
6. click that link and another text box will appear - type in "hotel"
7. click the "search" button to the left of where you typed in "hotel"

That should show you a bunch of hotels in the area near the prison's address.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Okasan (11-05-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM

Telmate has a higher limit then 100 i was able to add 215 at one time.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM

Through the website that is.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Was that to his phone account, or his commissary? It won't let me add more than $100 to commissary. I haven't tried phone yet. If I try to add more than $100 to his commissary account, a pop-up box appears saying "You must enter an amount between $10.00 and $100.00".
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

addendum: problems are still being worked out with the mp3/email/photo issues. See here for DOC's official announcement of their ongoing efforts to get it all straightened out: http://www.oregon.gov/DOC/GENSVC/doc...Nov2012_FF.pdf

(with thanks to TLA for finding/posting this gem - credit where credit is due)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

How to set up mp3 texting (note: until your LO has mp3 player set up on that end, you won't be able to buy any credits or send any messages)

1. Go to AccessCorrections.com
2. Register
3. Find an inmate (find state, pick Oregon Dept of Corrections, type in name of LO)
4. click the "allow inmate to use my credits" button if you want your LO to be able to send messages back at your expense instead of our of their commissary account (until s/he gets his mp3 player set up, you won't be able to buy a package)

I strongly recommend purchasing a "package" - here's the prices:

Text– 5000 character restriction, text messages must be sent through the AccessCorrections website, can't be sent direct from your phone.
1 = $0.44
4 = $1.53
20 = $6.04
40 = $10.44
60 = $13.74 (~$0.22/message)

How it works (straight from DOC's website):

Many people thought that SecureMail™ messages would be same day delivery to the inmate. This is not true. Even if a message is sent and approved by mailroom staff on the same day, it will not be available for pick-up until the following day. The way that the system works to exchange information from the Music Warden kiosks does not allow same day delivery of SecureMail™ to your MP3 players.

Institution mailrooms generally close around 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Any SecureMail™ or photos received after 4:00 p.m. cannot be processed until the next day, and will not be loaded to the Music Warden kiosk until 10:00 p.m. that next night. Just like regular mail, no SecureMail™ is processed on weekends or holidays. So, the following is the worst case scenario for SecureMail™ or photos that do not contain matters requiring investigation.

1. Your loved one sends a SecureMail™ message or photo on Friday evening before a three-day weekend, when Monday is a holiday.
2. The SecureMail™ message or photo waits for review until Tuesday morning and is approved.
3. The SecureMail™ message or photo is uploaded to the Music Warden kiosk on Tuesday evening at 10:00 p.m.
4. The SecureMail™ message or photo can be retrieved Wednesday.

Some other factors besides institution schedules and investigations that may delay delivery are electrical work, internet connection problems, and equipment failure. SecureMail™ is not like an instant message, a text message, or even e-mail. It is another type of mail that, in most instances, is faster, more convenient, and cheaper to send than regular mail.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Athena26 (01-06-2013), TLAn4ever (01-06-2013), victors1girl (01-24-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Maximum number of visitors allowed on the visitors list is 15.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

With thanks to tslittlesister:

How to do video visitation:

signing up for the visit was really easy. there were no instructions given about what to do to start your visit at the allotted time. I called and they explained it to me. log into your account 5 minutes before your visit. at your appointed time, a green start visit button will appear on the side bar of your Telmate calendar page. click on that link and you will be taken to a screen with two black boxes. my camera and my brother's didn't load and I ended up leaving the chat a few minutes after the visit was supposed to start and signed back into the chat and the cams worked.
tslittlesister (02-26-2013), victors1girl (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

A note on video visitation: I've seen more than one person mention this, so I think it's a TelMate issue, not a particular computer issue.

Make sure you do your visitation using Firefox, NOT Internet Explorer. Many people have had issues with no sound/video using IE.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
victors1girl (02-22-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Donation Award 

just to add a little more information about my video visit.

if you enter the chat and all you see is two black boxes instead of seeing your webcam and your LOs, exit the chat and enter it again. I am not sure WHY the chat didn't load properly the first time, but I wasted about 5 minutes of our visit looking at the black boxes waiting for something to happen. As soon as I left the visit and then started it again, the images were there properly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tslittlesister For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-26-2013), Graciethebeagle (06-27-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Some of the major credit card companies are now charging cash advance fees for payments made through JPay.

So far I haven't been charged a cash advance fee for putting money in accounts through TelMate ($100 max deposit per transaction) or through AccessCorrections ($300 max deposit per transaction)
Old 12-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Default Re: Telmate Voicemails

On Telmate's website, they say that you get X number of free voicemails when you deposit $Y amount of money.

You only get the free voicemails if you make the deposit by calling Telmate. Putting money on their account via the website does not give you the free voicemails.

Also, the free voicemails will expire after 60 days, so they don't accumulate over time.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Default Telmate Website "timed out, try again later" problem

This morning, when attempting to add funds to my dad's phone, the website came up with the "timed out, try again later" error.

I tried again later, got the same error.

I called them, and the customer service rep said that they showed two deposits for the same amount having been made this morning while I was trying to get the deposit to go through.

Heads up: if you get the "timed out, try again later" error, DON'T! Call them instead unless you want to discover that you've made multiple deposits.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Default Visitation link changed

DOC changed their website - for links to filling out visitation forms, see here
Old 12-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
DOC changed their website - for links to filling out visitation forms, see here
I notice the new photo but is anything else different?

I see they still don't tell people that they won't process their applications until the individual has been transferred from Coffee Creek to their "home" prison. Larry Bennett from Coffee Creek told us that we could submit our applications anytime, which is technically true, but they won't even BEGIN to process them until AFTER the individual has been moved, according to Ricky Walling the lady who handles the applications. The 60 days starts after the individual agrees to accept you as a visitor once they have reached their home prison, or when they turn in the application themselves with all your data.

Also thought I'd mention that if anyone gets denied visitation there's a whole section on the site for the Appeals process with the forms, etc. If you need help appealing a denial I'm willing to try to help since I've been there done that, just PM me. My friend was denied visitation of her son in a case similar to ours and didn't know she could appeal and didn't see him for 3 years.... Don't want that to happen to anyone else.

~First we crush people to the earth, then claim the right of trampling on them forever, because they are prostrate.~
Lydia Maria Francis Child

The Following User Says Thank You to Karamella For This Useful Post:
TLAn4ever (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Nothing else is different that I'm aware of. When I submitted mine a couple of years ago, they said they would do the background check before my dad left Coffee, but no other processing. But that doing the background check sped up the process by a week or two. Dunno if that's true then or now. It was about a month between when I submitted mine and when I could go visit.

The main reason I posted this was that the old link was broken and I wanted new people to have a link that worked.
Athena26 (12-27-2013), Karamella (12-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

I strongly recommend that all 'outmates' register through Oregon VINE. While I hope that no one will ever need to use it for this purpose, death is considered "release". Your loved one will be technically "released" in the system, which will trigger the VINE automated system to alert you of their "release". It may be the fastest way to find out if your loved one has died.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM

I agree with Gin on VINE registration being a good idea. Minimum custody inmates seem to get transferred more often, and the VINE system will notify you of a transfer faster than your LO can let you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Athena26 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (09-06-2014)
Old 12-12-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

12/10/15

I don't know when it was changed, but as of this date, DOC Central Trust no longer allows deposits into an inmate account "in person" at the dome building. They only accept deposits via post office mail.

In addition, Access Corrections now charges to deposit funds into an inmate account as if it were a cash advance (on my credit card, that means a $20 fee for the cash advance, with interest accruing daily until the balance is paid off, at which time the interest gets charged to my Visa the following month. For a $50 deposit, I paid a $20 fee and around $1.25 in interest).

JPay is still charging a cash advance fee.

I do not know if TelMate is charging a cash advance fee or not at the moment.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Dated 12/15/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliahnamarie2 View Post
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet or not.. but apparently Telmate raised the fee's considerably at the beginning of December for depositing money onto an inmates trust/commissary account. The fee used to be a flat $4.50 for any deposit up to $250 (which is the limit), but now they have a step fee structure just like the other sites. Merry freaking Christmas right?

Telmate
deposit $100 and under, fee is $5.75
deposit $101-$200, fee is $7.75
deposit $201-$250, fee is $9.75

JPay
deposit $20 and under, fee is $3.95
deposit $21-$100, fee is $6.95
deposit $101-$200, fee is $8.95
deposit $201-$300, fee is $10.95

AccessCorrections
deposit $19.99 and under, fee is $2.95
deposit $20-$99.99, fee is $5.95
deposit $100-$199.99, fee is $7.95
deposit $200-$300.00, fee is $9.95

I called Telmate to verify that this raise was correct and not just a glitch in their system, and it is unfortunately correct... Just in time for the holidays...
Old 12-16-2015, 09:13 AM

Default Beware access corrections!

BEWARE ACCESS CORRECTIONS! I deposited $50 using my credit card. I was aware of the $5.95 fee, but what I didn't know is they submit the transaction to my credit card company as a cash advance, and my cc company charges $20 for cash advances. So it cost me $75.95 for a $50 deposit!
Closed Thread