Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 PM

Default What is "protective custody"?

What does being in "protective custody" mean?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2018, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,128 Times in 3,178 Posts

"protective custody" is the official name for where they put people who are in danger of being killed. In reality, it's solitary confinement, aka "the hole". They use the same cells for "protective custody" as they do for "disciplinary segregation". It's still solitary confinement. It's also been shown through numerous psychological studies to do severe and sometimes permanent psychological damage. After 30 days, some people become catatonic.

It is not a good thing.

[edited to add: I made a new thread from your question because it really stands on it's own in terms of subject material. You didn't do anything wrong, but this makes it easier for other people with the same question to find the information]

Last edited by GingerM; 04-12-2018 at 05:42 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
GrannaSAnne (04-12-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 07:45 PM

My son is in El Reno disciplinary Seg and once he's released, they're transferring him to another unit. All I do is pray for him daily and send letters every other day. I ask God to keep his mind sane and remind him of whose he is. God will put them in a place of solitary to get their attention. We must pray and trust that God's will is done. It hurts so bad, but then I remember.... God's will be done. Hope this helps. God bless and keep you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShelishaB For This Useful Post:
GrannaSAnne (04-13-2018)