Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Question Was there a change to second degree robbery in California??

Does anyone know anything about a change with second degree robbery not being a crime of violence anymore. My lo was trying to tell me about it today. He told me to look up something about the ninth circuit and robbery. I actually found something about it but don’t understand it of course. Just thought I’d ask maybe someone on here knows.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,139 Times in 16,654 Posts

You're welcome to post a link to what you've found so we can take a look at it

In California's Penal Code, I've found the following:

Quote:
(c) For the purpose of this section, “violent felony” shall mean any of the following:

(9) Any robbery.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...fender+robbery

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
qwerty (08-22-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Thanked 1,571 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie_blank View Post
Does anyone know anything about a change with second degree robbery not being a crime of violence anymore. My lo was trying to tell me about it today. He told me to look up something about the ninth circuit and robbery. I actually found something about it but don’t understand it of course. Just thought I’d ask maybe someone on here knows.
I "believe" robbery or at least some forms of robbery are considered non-violent under Federal law. Ninth circuit is Western district Federal court of appeal and wouldn't have jurisdiction over state law.

Robbery is violent under California state law. I suspect the guys are hearing of some recent case in California based Federal appeals court and conflating it with State law.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-21-2019), patchouli (08-21-2019), qwerty (08-22-2019)