Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Topics and discussions relating to current and past events dealing with the Arizona Prison and Criminal Justice Systems, political corruption, etc.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:04 PM

Exclamation AZ Prison Conditions Town Hall 7-31-19 6PM

There is a Town Hall scheduled on 7-31-2019 at 6:00pm to discuss Arizona prison conditions. (See below)

A panel of lawmakers and community leaders, including Arizona State Reps. Walt Blackman (Snowflake) & Diego Rodriguez Arizona State House Representative District 27 (Laveen), Daniel Howe, owner of Tucson’s The Earnest House, and ACLU Smart Justice advocate and Miss Maricopa County Laetitia Hua will hear from people from across Arizona who have been directly impacted by the mismanagement of our state prisons and discuss their plans for fixing this broken system. Representatives for Gov. Doug Ducey and ADC Director Charles “Chuck” Ryan were the first to be invited to participate and hear the very real concerns of their constituents.

Code of Conduct:
We understand that these issues are deeply emotional, and that many of us have a great deal of anger and pain. Your feelings are legitimate and valid. At the same time, it is vital that we maintain a civil and respectful discourse so that we can be heard.

Guidelines and suggestions:
• Limit testimony to 3 minutes;
• We strongly suggest that you write it out ahead of time to be sure that you cover all the key points;
• If you think 3 minutes will not be enough, we welcome you to submit testimony in writing;
• Keep your language and tone calm and respectful;
• Focus on the problem, not the person.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 AM

This should be aired on TV!
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (08-13-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 10:48 AM

Sorry, here's more info.
Here is a chance for you to speak out on issues with DOC:

After months of media coverage of crisis after crisis inside our state prisons, formerly incarcerated people, their families and loved ones will get a chance to tell state lawmakers what’s really going on inside the Arizona Department of Corrections (ADC).
On Wednesday, July 31, American Friends Service Committee-Arizona (AFSC-AZ) and Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA) will host the Arizona State Prison Town Hall event at First Church UCC in Phoenix.

WHAT: Arizona State Prison Town Hall
WHEN: Wednesday, July 31, 6 p.m.
WHERE: First UCC Church, 1407 N. 2nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85004

PANELISTS: Rep. Walt Blackman (Snowflake), Rep. Diego Rodriguez (Laveen), Danny Howe (Tucson’s The Earnest House), Miss Maricopa County Laetitia Hua (ACLU Smart Justice advocate)

Panelists will hear from people from across Arizona who have been directly impacted by the mismanagement of our state prisons and discuss their plans for fixing this broken system. Representatives for Gov. Doug Ducey and ADC Director Charles “Chuck” Ryan have been invited to participate and hear the very real concerns of their constituents.
The Arizona State Prison Town Hall event follows a continuing investigation by ABC15 that revealed cell doors at the Lewis state prison complex in Buckeye that did not lock and resulted in assaults and deaths. State prison complexes in Yuma and Douglas left incarcerated people without water for days in June. In the same week, KJZZ’s Jimmy Jenkins reported that pregnant incarcerated women are giving birth alone in their cells and suffering miscarriages.

Clearly, there is ample evidence of a consistent pattern of mismanagement, abuse, and neglect that stems from an organizational culture of dehumanization and disregard for human rights. Though Gov. Ducey convened an independent investigation into ADC’s practices in April, led by two former state Supreme Court justices, nothing has been done to address the immediate threats to the safety and well-being of more than 42,000 incarcerated people across the state or to ADC staff.

The public is begging our State leaders for action -
and we want you to be there!

Attend in person to learn about the issues from those directly impacted, or share your experiences of mismanagement and abuse from the Arizona Department of Corrections. Two microphones and a "Story Station" video recording option will be set up for attendees.

Code of Conduct for the event:
We understand that these issues are deeply emotional, and that many of us have a great deal of anger and pain. Your feelings are legitimate and valid. At the same time, it is vital that we maintain a civil and respectful discourse so that we can be heard.
Guidelines and suggestions:
Limit testimony to 3 minutes;
We strongly suggest that you write it out ahead of time to be sure that you cover all the key points;
If you think 3 minutes will not be enough, we welcome you to submit testimony in writing; Keep your language and tone calm and respectful;
Focus on the problem, not the person.

Want to be involved but can't attend in person?
1) Follow AFSC-AZ on social media platforms to spread the word before and day of:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

2) Write your story/testimony and submit it to AFSC-AZ to include at the event:
Email afscaz@afsc.org
The Following User Says Thank You to Kernwgo For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (08-13-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 06:54 PM

Did any one go? How was it ?
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
kari dunn (08-13-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 01:12 PM

It was good and very interesting. I know it was live streamed by a few outlets. It won't allow me to post the link but if you go to ABC15's facebook page and look under videos it's listed as "Townhall on prison conditions"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kernwgo For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (08-02-2019), kari dunn (08-13-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 11:35 PM

Default Link to Video

It is difficult to hear, so earphones or loud speakers might be needed.

https://www.facebook.com/ABC15/video...location=group
Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 PM

Default Phoenix New Times Article on the Town Hall Meeting

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...eaths-11335773
Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Ex-Inmate-Here to Help

Default Arizona DOC is not acceptable living for humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Did any one go? How was it ?

I’ve been out of AZ DOC for about 2 years now and had been on every level yard from Max down to Min. In my 6 years I saw conditions in many different AZ facilities and I also saw the way inmates were treated by both peers and staff. I am an educated man and also tend to get along with almost anyone you throw me in with so I was able to get by without any major issues along the way but I’m also fairly young and in good shape.
I can only tell you the Arizona DOC is not a place that is correcting anything for anyone and the lack of educational programs that might actually teach someone something is just the beginning of the problems with the system.
There are no safe yards and there is no way for a struggling young drug addict to get away from even more drugs then you would see on the streets. The lack of recovery meetings and lack of overall classes designed to help these young addicts is only part of the problem. The yards are so flooded with drugs that it literally makes it impossible for someone with no recovery back round to stay away from.
Of course the next thing that happens is the drug debts and the getting beat up for these young guys and then getting in trouble with the prison.
DOC is not the place for people with non-violent crimes and drug problems... there has been 0 evidence that DOC has succeeded in lowering its 85% plus recidivism rates and this is because they aren’t trying to lower them.
I can name a dozen programs on the streets that have much, much higher success numbers and actually give people a chance at a real life again. I kept quite and didn’t have any issues while doing my time but the the horrible conditions on some of the yards I was on and the many deaths that occurred while I was there that could’ve been avoided made me sick to my stomach.
If you have a loved one in AZ DOC And YOU WANT THEM TO HAVE THE BEST CHANCE AT SUCCESS when they get out I WOULD RECOMMEND TRYING TO GET THEM TO WRITE on a regular basis and give you updates on the positive steps they are taking in bettering themselves while there.
Ask them to write some short term goals while they will be incarcerated and Try and hold them accountable to those goals. If you can afford to Send self help books that are geared toward successful living and find out if there are any books about careers they are showing interest in and letting them know that they can accomplish anything they want “even after going to prison if they take the proper steps.” It will go a long way. I am a business owner and am in recovery myself and I can assure you that no matter how bad things seem for them now there are endless possibilities for them if they want to live a good life when they get out.
I would recommend to all parents forcing your child into a halfway house that requires them to get a full time job and a sponsor that will take them through the 12 steps of AA or NA is the best chance for they’re success. It’s much, much better than trying to help them by allowing them to come home when they get out.
Although you mean well and just want to help you are not equipped like a recovery home and you will end up enabling them at some point and feeling guilty if they don’t do well. A halfway house that allows 0 prescription drugs and forces a 12 step sponsor and meetings will be the best thing anyone with a child that is an addict can do.
I would also watch for your loved ones asking for large sums of money while in prison. Wanting good I sent to random places is a serious warning sign that he is using drugs in prison and if this happens let them know that you know what is going on and you are very saddened to find out he/she relapsed in prison. Let them know that this will be the 1 and only time you will bale them out and if they ask for any help like this again there will be 0 money sent the remainder of their stay. Make it clear that they will need to go to the Cops and beg to be put in the hole if they get into debt again because you simply won’t allow them to use you for drug money while they are there.
I hope and wish the best to anyone that haas a loved one in prison and I feel for you and your loved one. It’s a tough road but together you can actually strengthen your relationship if your both trying to do thee right thing. Having an addict for a SON is extremely hard and the disease is very powerful and as art. It can be overcome through a spiritual experience and the 12 steps of AA.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AMFBiz1 For This Useful Post:
itl51 (09-25-2019), kari dunn (09-18-2019), lizlizzie2 (09-15-2019), patchouli (09-10-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 08:25 AM

Smile One Day at A Time At Whetstone Unit

"The yards are so flooded with drugs that it literally makes it impossible for someone with no recovery back ground to stay away from. "

So true. Son just returning to Whetstone after transferring out to a 3 yard for possession tickets. His property was not returned with him, lost or stolen? One never knows for sure. No money to replace so Son will just have to stick-out his last remaining months (less than a year now) with the basic necessities needed. Losing his personal items were very upsetting because there seems to be nothing he can do about it but accept the loss. It could be a lot worse.

Words of encouragement are key but trying to maintain a positive focus in a very difficult environment is most difficult when you have struggled 30+ years with addiction issues. Drug debt may or may not be an issue going forward, but it has certainly been one in the past.

Day by day concerns are a nightmare for a parent, especially knowing the realities of prison life. Your words of wisdom regarding transitional housing, and a sponsor after release have already been discussed and is the plan for my son after release. The real concern he has is being able to find sustainable work after prison life. He is practicing "One Day At A Time" but even with lots of prayer and daily Bible reading the temptations surround him on a daily basis. Peer pressure is 100% greater for those serving time.

Sending words of encouragement and setting goals is solid advice and I will certainly implement more of that.

Thanks again for your post. Helpful and Encouraging,