Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison & Jail Specific Discussions > Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Region III Prisons and Camps Topics & discussion specific to these facilities: Cooper Street CF, G. Robert Cotton CF, Gus Harrison CF, Huron Valley Center, Huron Valley CF, Macomb CF, Mound CF, Parnall CF, Parr Highway CF, Robert Scott CF, Ryan CF, Southern Michigan CF, Thumb CF

Old 01-21-2009, 05:54 PM

My son started at Egeler, was sent to Kinross in the UP, was there 2 weeks and they just sent him back to Jackson to Cotton facility. He is only 19yrs old but this is his 2nd time there as he was just out for 5 mnths and got pulled over with his Dad's antique rifle in the trunk...they sent him back on felony firearm and parole violation. He was doing so well too...he too hates Cotton, says the place is disgusting, he needs to be very clean and the food is terrible. At Kinross he was all excited and called me to tell me they had "real" biscuits for dinner, so the food was good. The problem with Cotton is that it has very limited training for those wanted to learn a trade of some sort so it is hard for them to stay busy unless they are allowed to work. He says the guards are very hard on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to blondie64 For This Useful Post:
Heather7908 (06-03-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Hi All,

My son just went to Cotton, he is 19yrs old. I am trying to get information on filing a motion from inside the prison. He was sentenced without being allowed to read his pre sentence report and when he did, I did too, it is ALL false. The problem is that this will be used when he goes before the Parole Board and I want to get it corrected before then. He went to the Prison library and asked for help and was basically laughed at. They told him he couldn't file a motion or post sentence review...I don't think this is legal as they have a right to do that. Does anyone have any information on where to go or what to do to file a motion or get PSI report corrected? I would appreciate any guidance.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:47 PM

I don't know how or if he could get a PSI corrected but I know if you are on parole and have a firearm or even a pseudo firearm in a house you are in or a car you are riding it it is automatically five years in prison.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Why do they move the prisoners around so much? My son was sent to Egeler, I knew he would be there first..then sent to Kinross in the UP for a whole 1 1/2 weeks then sent back to Jackson to Cotton. It doens't make sense to me unless they are just trying to waste taxpayers money. They said they needed him back there because there was medical (yeah right) and he was on meds. They moved him back and took all his meds away!!! He is bi-polar and has to be on meds but they said he doesn't need them... I am flabbergasted at the way things are run in the prisons.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Danny's 1 and Only

Cotton is a medical facility... but if they took him off his meds I dont have a clue.

until my Aunt gets her 1st chance.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM

Lavender,

Yes, I know that is what confused me. He was on meds at Kinross and doing well on them but Cotton has now taken him off everything which is not good. It seems to be difficult to get any help on anything in there, even just seeing the doctor or psych to ask about his meds. I sure hope he has learned a life long lesson here, he is so young you always hope they gain an understanding of the need to follow all rules in society to stay out of the system.
Has anyone heard anything on this new legislature, trying to move non violent prisoners out of they system quicker?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM

PositiveParole,

Hi there.... It is good to have someone from the "other" side to get a better understanding of how the system works. What made you decide to post on here? I have a question..I was wondering how difficult it is to receive assistance on the inside as far as information on how to file motions, etc. My son is trying to get is pre-sentence report corrected and we are not sure how to do this. He wasn't allowed to see it until he was sentenced and the whole report is false so we are hoping to make corrections before it ever goes to the Parole Board. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks again for being on here to help
Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Danny's 1 and Only

So do anyone have a clue what went on at Cotton today? Danny wont tell me anything and I dont know why... all he said is it didnt involve him. But I heard him talking to someone else when I first answered the phone and it sounded like he said something like "they really opened him up..." Yeah that makes me worry and with him not telling me anything about it it makes it seem so much worse.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 PM

No...But if you find out please let me know!!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Danny's 1 and Only

Seems that a few guys jumped another guy with padlocks... and the guy that was jumped was "rolled" past Danny on his way to dinner... he didnt want me to worry about it so he wouldnt tell me anything. He says it is more of the stuff I do not need to know.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks. My boyfriend told me that today. But he also told me the other day some guy got his mouth cut from ear to ear for running his mouth. He told me not to get worried or anything they already transferd the guy that did it. I was really worried when you said that also. But thanks for letting me know.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Danny's 1 and Only

No problem... I have found the PTO is usually a good place for finding out what is going on.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:42 AM
orlyfan

my father is being transferred to Cotton on Monday July 27th and I was wondering what information you can give me about visiting and such. He is coming from Hiawatha which seemed to be alright for him. I know he will not like the fact that is is dirty and the food situation but I hope he will not stay there too long. They seem to be moving people around since the prison closings. Does anyone have a word of wisdom for me?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 PM

I'm wanting to visit a friend who's been in Cotton for about 3 weeks now. If I go on a Saturday how long do I get to visit for?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Default carpooling

Hi im Kate, Im trying to carpool with someone to Cotton in Jackson or even in that area. I can help with gas money and Im cool to talk to all the way there....lol. I live in warren

Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnm View Post
Share gossip, info and just chit chat among others with a loved one in G. Robert Cotton Correctional Facility here.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM

A few things..You have to get on the visiting list first and it can take weeks or more..And for the one who said he dad is being transferred..they usually wont tell you when the transfer is going to take place for security reasons..how did you find out?
Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
orlyfan

My mother told me. I think they told my father up in Hiawatha. I am not sure how or why he was told. Anyway he is there now in Cotton and has been there for a couple of weeks. He is in a class. I hope he get's moved when that is over. He says the food is not as good as Hiawatha.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate815 View Post
Hi im Kate, Im trying to carpool with someone to Cotton in Jackson or even in that area. I can help with gas money and Im cool to talk to all the way there....lol. I live in warren

Kate
Hi Kate, I would carpool but I won't be coming anywhere near Warren. I'm coming from Mackinaw City and staying with family in Albion. Sorry! Hope you get a ride.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppino69 View Post
A few things..You have to get on the visiting list first and it can take weeks or more..And for the one who said he dad is being transferred..they usually wont tell you when the transfer is going to take place for security reasons..how did you find out?
I know I'm already on the visiting list and I filled out one of those forms like a couple of years ago but I don't know if it's still good or not. I never received anything in the mail saying that they had even received it. Should I just call Cotton and ask if I'm okay to come visit? Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM

What's it like visiting someone at Cotton? I know that you can buy them stuff to eat out of the vending machines but how expensive is it? I just want to know how much cash I should bring, unless they'll take my debit card lol
Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Danny's 1 and Only

Visiting isnt that bad at Cotton... as long as you are polite and dont dress like a clown or a hooker you should be fine... There were basically the same 2 people in the VR most of the time and they were really nice but they loved to comment to each other about what visitors were wearing...

As for how much money... take about $20 and buy a few photo tickets before you go in...

Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 AM

Been there and done the whole thing..Spent a few months living on the other side of the wall and let me tell you, the experience is what you make out of it. When my wife came to see me in the prison, whether it was Cotton, Straits, Chippewa, Carson City, or Mound just before I got out, I didn't care about the guards or what they were doing, I cared about my wife sitting there with me in my arms and looking into her eyes knowing that I had a woman who I love with all my heart and soul sitting there right in front of me. When she was there, everything else just disappeared and I went into another world, a world that had nothing to do with prison and everything to do with loving her. I LOVE YOU LAV!!! Keep your head up and know that I will be home as soon as I finish this 23 months that I have left...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM
orlyfan

my dad called my mom last night and told her that a man had a heart attack yesterday and died. They did nothing to help him. It took about 20 minutes for anyone from a hospital to make it. The man fell into a coma and died. My father is pretty shooken up about it. My prayers go out to the other man's family. I dread for the day that this happens to me.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate815 View Post

Kate
Did you ever get to Cotton? I would carpool with you cuz I live in the area, but I havent had the time to get out that way, plus my friend will be home in January.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Default my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyNites View Post
Oh yes please do..... I want some info my husband just got there!!!!!!
My son just got there this morning. Please give me info too. thanks in advance

Missing my son so much!!!