Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Alabama that do not fit into any other Alabama subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
amarie

Default Parental rights and help in Alabama

My fiance has recewntly surrendered to a prob violation and I still have no news yet. We are expecting our first child, I'm 4 months now and he's trying to do the right thing, but there's a possibility he can be gone up to 5 yrs. So scared. Meanwhile I'm expecting, attending school and am currently unemployed. I'm having to live w family and have very little of my own. Does this effect his parental rights if he's not here when the baby is born and is there anything I can do to receive help while he is gone without it going against him? We are not married and I'm in desperate need of some advice so I can provide for me and the baby
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Hi amarie89,
Best wishes with your pregnancy and please take care of yourself right now try not to allow what he is going through to affect you. The hard part is not knowing how much time he has to do it will work out. Allow him to do the right thing now while the baby is young and will not have much of a memory. No it will not affect his parental rights. Call down to your social services in your area and they can help you or tell you were you can go to get help now that he is away. remember that if you get money from the state they can go after him for back child support when he gets home if he is named as the father.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondtimer For This Useful Post:
amarie89 (07-14-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM

yeah your best bet would be to call the socail services department...good luck wiht your financial sitch...
The Following User Says Thank You to missMBC For This Useful Post:
amarie89 (07-14-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 PM

also its good that hes doing the right thing to clear his name and what not...because heaven forbid down the line he gets pulled over and arrested while u are with the child or something else upsetting you know?...keep your head up and come here often for support...
The Following User Says Thank You to missMBC For This Useful Post:
amarie89 (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
amarie

Thanks you guys... its just really confusing and lonely without him and i am definately gonna need advice and the support.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM

I dont know if it varies by state or is everywhere but I know here if you go for any public assistance other than WIC then they will go after the father... they will establish paternity and then he will owe child support and then it will get backed up and if he doesnt get a job and start paying it off at a reasonable pace after he gets out he can actually get a probation violation

WIC shouldnt affect that though at least you can maybe get help with that stuff (And you can do it now while you are pregnant.. milk, cheese, cereal, eggs... not sure what else.. I know after baby is born its formula or if you are breastfeeding they give you extra food to help keep you healthy too... I have a good friend on WIC)

My ex was served in jail by social services because as soon as he went to jail his ex filed for welfare even though he has full custody and she just has her for the 2 months hes in
Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM

you are correct mamaprincess also with WIC here in CT, she would need some to have some sort of income to apply.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:53 PM

I'm going with mama2princesses... it depends on the state every state is different. Most of the time if you try to get any kinda of assistance like welfare they will go after the father for child support and if they are incarcerated they will just get backed up like whats said above.Then when he get home he will have back rears that he would have to pay. I know that they will go after the father because my husband son's mother went to get assistance last month and Social Services served him with a child support letter. He was pissed because shes a dead beat she only has the child as of right now because hes in there anyways he spoke with the judge over the phone the judge thru the petition out lol. I know that you can get WIC with no problem. I hope that all goes well for you
Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM
amarie

Thank you and I have applied for wic thru my local health dept, have been approved. Now time to job search, its so tough 2 get a job here being pregnant, a full time student and leaving time open for his visitations. Boy oh boy, thanks for help and jus wish me luck. Gonna be a long process for sure. And its driving me crazy bcuz this is my first child and everyone is looking down on me bcuz of our situation. But no matter what anyone says I still love my baby, jus hope he can come back 2 us soon.