Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Question about how inmates are placed in NYS DOC

I’m hoping someone here knows. Are inmates placed in a facility based upon the charges they’re convicted of? And let’s say someone has a non-violent conviction, bu for then they get in trouble at a medium facility... could they essentially “work their way up” to max? Does a violent offence, or multiple violent offences automatically mean you go to max? Could someone in a max facility eventually go to a medium facility?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2018, 05:51 PM

Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuliya1991 View Post
I’m hoping someone here knows. Are inmates placed in a facility based upon the charges they’re convicted of? And let’s say someone has a non-violent conviction, bu for then they get in trouble at a medium facility... could they essentially “work their way up” to max? Does a violent offence, or multiple violent offences automatically mean you go to max? Could someone in a max facility eventually go to a medium facility?
I believe it is done by a point system. There are many factors: crime, behavior inside, and length of sentence. Some violent work their way down over time. All minimums are sent to medium prisons.

My brother started in max A, then max B, and now in medium after 12 years. He has 3 until parole hearing.

My guy is minimum, but sent to a medium facility.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
yuliya1991 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I believe it is done by a point system. There are many factors: crime, behavior inside, and length of sentence. Some violent work their way down over time. All minimums are sent to medium prisons.

My brother started in max A, then max B, and now in medium after 12 years. He has 3 until parole hearing.

My guy is minimum, but sent to a medium facility.

What’s max A and max B? Would both just be in max but then designated A or B? I know someone in Attica, they have a life sentence.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuliya1991 View Post
What’s max A and max B? Would both just be in max but then designated A or B? I know someone in Attica, they have a life sentence.
I think max A and I could be wrong is for the most serious. After 6 months and good behavior, they can put in for a transfer.

Those with the longest sentences are risks for escape.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I think max A and I could be wrong is for the most serious. After 6 months and good behavior, they can put in for a transfer.

Those with the longest sentences are risks for escape.

Ah got it, thanks!
Old 05-25-2018, 06:03 PM

Lifers can go to mediums eventually.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 PM

My guy is in with lifers and my brother has life as his max sentence.

For those with life, it will probably be based on behavior and programs/classes they want to take. Certain prisons offer associate degrees and others offer bachelor's. Certain trades are in some places. Those with medical needs may go to others. A lot of factors.

Someone maybe medium, but needs a specific program and could be sent to max to complete it if there is space. Then, sent back.

If they are medium and get new charges inside, they could be reclassified. There are a lot of things that could happen.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 AM

My husband started as medium classification and then overdosed and was sent to the box for 16 months. Because of all his dirtys while in the box, they upped his classification to max and now is in Clinton.