Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Looking Forward Always

Default Private prisons .. just pondering

I have been reading how they are getting land permissions etc for the new private prison that is being built in Florence and considering who is going to be running it .. there is no surprise that it is being pushed through.
my guy hates private prisons and the idea of going to one is repulsive to him big time..
sooo I was wondering of some of the opinions of those who are familiar with the prison systems as to their thoughts on private prisons.. as well with this new one being built to handle overcrowding ... what is the thought of more.. AZ has serious issues with overcrowding as we all know but seriously this is a real threat that there can be more private prisons as none of the legistlation is passing to lower the time etc.. and this is the same state Joe keeps being reelected in so they are not going to be voting to help those inside..
I am seriously worried about more private prisons as this is a reality with the new one being pushed through..
sooo just curious if anyone else is wondering what they plan on doing with the overcrowding and the privatization?
just was wondering peoples thoughts if they are even thinking of it ..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Missing_My_Friends

My thoughts on the private prisons....at first I didn't like the idea of my husband being sent out of state and housed in the private prison in Oklahoma...however since he has been there for almost a 1 1/2 my thoughts have changes somewhat....what I am about to say is based on one persons opinion and I cannot speak for others who have loved ones in privates prisons...but my husband likes where he is...he said that the COs treat him much better than they do in Arizona. He has also mentioned that several other inmates as well like where they are, with the exception of the ones who have loved ones in Arizona and loose out on the contact visits.

Second thought about privitization...at first I thought this was a attempt at relieve some of the overcrowding issues as well as budget issues...however with reading the last article about the newest private prison that is being built it has nothing to do with saving the DOC and the state of Arizona any money...it will cost $60 a day compared to the state cost of $50..so I don't think it is necessarily anymore about saving money.

The latest attempt is that this prison will be able to better rehabilitate the inmates...however my thoughts about rehabilitation is that it is something that comes from within the individual himself... that you have the desire to want to better yourself and having the resources to do so.

I don't think that Arizona has any intentions of passing any laws that will allow our loved ones to come home any sooner...as long as the legislature and the state provide funds to the DOC they will continue to build more prisons as a solution to the overcrowding and not consider other avenues.

Of course this is only my opinion but I am curious as to others thoughts as well.................
Old 08-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Immanuel-God With Us

The flip side to private prisons is they are not held accountable. With state prison, rules and regulations have to be followed and inmates must be maintained according to set standards. With private prisons there is no check and balances.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Looking Forward Always

thanks all for posting your thoughts...
it is interesting... my guys cellie was just returned from a private prison and he was not pleased there based on treatment there .. he was actually happy to be back in adoc facilities..
but there are more then one side to each story so that was why I was curious about thoughts on them..
I still have reservations about them and they do serve one purpouse to adoc and that is with all the understaffing issues they do not need deal with all that and save money on wages etc..
they are actually doing job fairs at lewis prison .. wow
Old 08-27-2005, 03:52 PM

This is my person op and for what it is worth, I have a loved one that was moved to a private prison. With in two months he lost a lot of weight and said it is awful. They feed them poorly and the medical is less. We are praying that he will soon be moved the paper work has been filled out, it is just a waiting game now

A private prison has their own set of rules far different from the state run prisons.

Peace, love, hope and prayers

~jesuschick~
#11 WRONGFULLY CONVICTED CLUB
Old 08-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Looking Forward Always

I have also heard that store costs are higher at the private prisons then the state ones... which is harder as often they take longer to get a job...
Old 08-28-2005, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuschick
This is my person op and for what it is worth, I have a loved one that was moved to a private prison. With in two months he lost a lot of weight and said it is awful. They feed them poorly and the medical is less. We are praying that he will soon be moved the paper work has been filled out, it is just a waiting game now

A private prison has their own set of rules far different from the state run prisons.

~jesuschick~
My husband has said the same thing since going back to the private prison. He has been there less then a year and has lost a noticable amount of weight.

Personally I find pros and cons with both of them. There are some things we like better about the private prison and some things we dont. There are things he misses from the state facility, but for me the private works better
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 PM

Yes they are, and with them being less feed they are in need of more money to buy food with. And the jobs do take longer to get, and they can't get rich from their jobs....Mine would rather be any where but a private.

~jesuschick~

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriana
I have also heard that store costs are higher at the private prisons then the state ones... which is harder as often they take longer to get a job...
#11 WRONGFULLY CONVICTED CLUB
Old 08-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Looking Forward Always

keefes is taking over the com at tucson... the guys are happy as it means new products but they are also worried about the fact that keefes is known for raising prices etc...
they have faced serious boycots in other states due to the high costs they have and the fellows and ladies do not get a raise to be able to afford it... umm on that note they really need a cost of living increase..
they get the new store lists soon.. so I will let you know if my guy says the costs raise.. as he buys most of his meals from there.. as the chow sucks...
keefes does the private prisons I beleive ...

Melbo you have made some very good points and I agree with you that the government will not be hurrying to let them out sooner.. tho one point I thought on.. if they do not need to pay officers and give benefits and retirement.. then the ten dollars extra a day becomes a savings long term...
I do wonder just how many private prisons will be made in AZ>.. or maybe they will just hand over the current ones... wanna save up and buy one .. jk
Old 08-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Mom of federal prisoner

just to bring you up to date on info i've gathered. click on my name on your screen and then on all threads posted by bluemama...i got a LOT of information recently about private prisons vs public/state/fed...and some great links
best of luck!
mary
bluemama
Old 08-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Looking Forward Always

thanks bluemama
I am trying to keep this regional which was why I posted in AZ as I have noticed that each state is a law unto itself and they run by their own rules.. my guy when busted though he was going federal and was very sad to learn he wasnt ... in truth had he been in another state he would be home by now... it is wild to see the different rules by state.. some states offer better sentecning conditions where others offer better prison conditions..
amazing to me where a lot of these fellows if in canada would not be in prison.. so thanks for oyur input and I will check that out but I would love more AZ people to share their thoughts.. there are no right nor wroung answers here..
Old 08-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

Oh my....when it comes to private prison's that's a can of worms for me. I won't even post my opinion in public forums. I will say that I am more than willing to talk to anyone about the facilities that are owned by CCA as my fiance has been in 2 of them. I will say one thing....I am VERY MUCH against them. You can send me a PM and I can discuss my experiences with them. :X

Patti
Old 08-31-2005, 12:24 AM
Looking Forward Always

they are building a new private prison in florence so some of those recently moved from there might end up back near when this opens.. so dont fret if your loved one is moved too far just yet..
Old 08-31-2005, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

Is the new prison going to be opperated by CCA?
Old 08-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Missing_My_Friends

CSC will be operating the private prison, related article here:

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136679
Old 08-31-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arriana
I would love more AZ people to share their thoughts.. there are no right nor wroung answers here..
My stepson's sentence is federal, not state, but each time he's been arrested for violating the terms of his supervised release (three times), he's spent some time, ranging from ten days to several months, in a private prison in Florence.... and he's now in a private prison in another state finishing out his federal sentence. I think both institutions are run by CCA. He does complain that the private institutions "don't follow the rules," although the only concrete example of that he's provided is very minor: he lost his store privileges for a month for going into another housing unit. He knew it was against the rules and he doesn't deny that he did it -- his only complaint was that they waited too long to write him up for it, and therefore he wanted to contest it.
Other than that, our experience with mail, funds, visiting, etc., has been that there is very little difference between the government-run and the privately-run facilities. It does appear that there are cut-backs everywhere, but that is happening in both types of institutions from what we can see.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Looking Forward Always

thanks white duck.. that is what I was hoping to hear.. it is hard to understand why AZ is opening new private ones when they are in a mess with the state system.. i do fear my guy can end up in a private one and the "don't follow the rules" is what worries me most..
for men and woman who are just trying to do their time and get home it makes it harder..
thanks for sharing all
Old 09-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Long ago and far away....
Donation Award 

My two cents, for what it's worth, talking to inmates that have returned from private prisons is that they are ready to kiss the ground of DOC. (well, almost). They tell me that costs are higher, jobs fewer, and private staff are unable to handle day to day situations. Most are glad to be back in Arizona...............
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Account Closed

Default Newton

My pal at Newton prefers it there and this is his 3rd yr. there. He doesn't like the rundown buildings, late dinners and plumbing that goes out when it rains but feels he's treated with more respect and satisfied with his job and pay. I think it may have to do with the fact that the warden listens to inmates and it's a much smaller place. They did have an inmate work strike a few months ago and I think things have been rectified since then.

Then again, my friend doesn't want me to worry and probably doesn't tell me everything. He has mentioned that the staff tends to throw people in the hole a lot. Those in the hole seem to be the ones who get transferred back on the next bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Limey
My two cents, for what it's worth, talking to inmates that have returned from private prisons is that they are ready to kiss the ground of DOC. (well, almost). They tell me that costs are higher, jobs fewer, and private staff are unable to handle day to day situations. Most are glad to be back in Arizona...............
Old 09-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Looking Forward Always

it is hard for sure to be certain what happens with private prisons
my concerns come since the previous head of doc does have a financial stake in the new private prisons.. there is an ole boy network at doc which is well documented so it makes me think there will be a lot more private prisons and a lot less state run as it does save them money in the long run on wages and benefits ...
I appreciate everyones response in this .. Limeys statement is intense as I know my guy isnt happy with adoc so to hear they come back happy to be in adoc says a ton.
this is something we all need to watch and speak up on
Old 09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Looking Forward Always

Ok ... so I am reading my email and poof there is an article about Indiana ( ok yes I know this is AZ) but they are PRIVATIZING STATE prisons....
I have include a snippet of the article here via Fed X's instructions and as I do not have a direct link you can PM me and I can send you a copy of it.. but guys we need to listen to this as seriously.. AZ is seriously understaffed.. they are overwhelmed with inmates.. they can not recruit new officers.. heck my guys unit still doesnt have a CO III ... this is something that can happen here and listen to our loved ones they do not want private prisons... ok 98 % dont... we need to watch and talk to those in charge to say nooooooooo way.... seriously...
this freaked me out.. as if another state thinks they save money and there are statements shwing az saves with private prisons they can follow suit...
ok I will remain calm.. but seriously it needs to be considered and we need to email the local politicans who are supportive..

Private prison control
The Indiana State Prison in Michigan City is still run by guards employed by the state. However, Indiana is moving toward a more privatized prison system. Gov. Mitch Daniels has chosen a Florida contractor to operate the New Castle Correctional Facility.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Donation Award 

latest rumor on the yards, inmates and staff, going private.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Looking Forward Always

I have read that on other sites as well... it fits if you follow the changes in the health care arrangments.. and other changes the doc are putting into place..
they are paving the way for privatization
follow the trail you can see it
I fear that for our mens sake
Old 10-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Donation Award 

Latest "rumor", Perryville going private as of January and Tuson soon to follow............... Three months will tell the tale
Old 12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Donation Award 

Canteen just won a new contract for DOC. They had to outbid Keefe's. Who knowes what the future holds.................