Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum Please use this forum to discusss all news and information relating to Hurricane Katrina

Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietype

Frankly, I do not buy the idea that taxes are too high. In my opinion the problem is that we do not get enough for our money. The money to at least help with some of the problems that I've mentioned is available. This is the wealthiest country on earth. It's time that we acted like it.
GREAT POST!

I agree 100%
Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Frenchy Member

What do you mean exactly by "lack the drive" ????

Kat, I honestly think that the citizens of the "wealthiest country in the world" shouldn't have to work 3 jobs to get a decent life...

Just my opinion of course...

Phil
Old 09-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Glad to be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT
Still not saying it was easy. He is an American Indian and does know racism.
He knows ethnic prejudice and possibly classism, not racism. They are completely different things with different precursors, affects and originate for comepletly different reasons. The majority of Italian Americans were not brought to this country against their will and forced to work for no wages...and yes, the dynamics of slavery are still alive and well in the USA.

Last edited by MiaBellaAngela; 09-21-2005 at 03:05 PM..
Old 09-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Glad to be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Paris
Kat, I honestly think that the citizens of the "wealthiest country in the world" shouldn't have to work 3 jobs to get a decent life...

Phil
I agree...but the country is wealthy, not the majority of the citizens. I have a masters degree+ and I also have to work three jobs. Why? Just to pay my student loans! Unfortunately that is just the way things are here Phil. Don't know about France, but here it is not cheap to live (depending on what part of the USA you are in).
Old 09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

Just another tidbit on the causes of "lack of drive" - there was a study done several years ago - and you'll have to forgive me for being vague here but I don't recall the specifics - that showed that one of the effects of poverty was to cause diminished brain development from poor diet. Literal loss of IQ. Same thing happened to kids exposed to mercury and lead - loss of intelligence.

It's not true for all, but when you add it to the constellation of poor schools, poor housing, poor transportation et cetera, you begin to understand that some people really can't rise.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Donation Award 

'He knows ethnic prejudice and possibly classism, not racism. They are completely different things with different precursors, affects and originate for comepletly different reasons. The majority of Italian Americans were not brought to this country against their will and forced to work for no wages...and yes, the dynamics of slavery are still alive and well in the USA.'

Racism, as defined in the dictionary: hostile attitude or behaviour to members of other races, based on a belief in the innate superiority of one's own race.

You don't have to have been a slave to know what racism is and not all slaves were from Africa!! My own people were born, bought and sold into slavey before the first African was taken from those shores and were still being born, bought and sold into slavery after slavery was abolished for the rest of the world.

Rose
Old 09-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Glad to be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rostonhall
'He knows ethnic prejudice and possibly classism, not racism. They are completely different things with different precursors, affects and originate for comepletly different reasons. The majority of Italian Americans were not brought to this country against their will and forced to work for no wages...and yes, the dynamics of slavery are still alive and well in the USA.'

Racism, as defined in the dictionary: hostile attitude or behaviour to members of other races, based on a belief in the innate superiority of one's own race.

Rose
That is correct. Italian is not a different race from other Caucasion of different ethnicities, therefore it is not racism. (this is what my post referenced)
Old 09-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Originally Posted by LAT
Still not saying it was easy. He is an American Indian and does know racism.

Native American is a race and therefore it is racism that he experiences....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 09-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Donation Award 

Yes, deb, and it was the reply to that by MiaBallaAngela that I was referring to, not anything to do with Italians!!!

Rose
Old 09-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Glad to be alive.

I responded to a post that said "Italian American" at the time I replied to it. Therefore my comments were addressing "Italian American," because that is what it said.

I am Native myself so if the case is of Native American then yes that is considered a race.

Last edited by MiaBellaAngela; 09-23-2005 at 08:39 PM..