Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum Please use this forum to discusss all news and information relating to Hurricane Katrina

Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,188 Times in 496 Posts
Default Brown Says He Should've Sought Aid Sooner

WASHINGTON - Former FEMA director Michael Brown said Monday he should have sought help faster from the Pentagon after Hurricane Katrina hit, and accused state and local officials of constant infighting during the crisis, according to congressional aides.

Brown is continuing to work at the Federal Emergency Management Agency at full pay, with his Sept. 12 resignation not taking effect for two more weeks, said Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke.

Brown spoke to congressional aides from both parties a day before he is scheduled to testify in front of a special House committee investigating the government's response to the Aug. 29 disaster. He did not respond to several calls for response Monday.

Story here:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050927/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Wage Slave

Once again, can anyone explain how the appointment of Michael Brown was anything but a display of incompetence on the part of the person making the appointment and a betrayal of public trust?
Old 09-28-2005, 03:53 AM

Techie - Gotta admit that he probably was not the best person for that job. Whom ever did his background check didn't do his job! I listened to some of his testimony and I agree with him on some points. However, I disagree with him on some things as well. LA officials were deficient (to say the least), but in a dire emergency, he should have stepped up to the plate and responded properly and much faster and been more aggressive (and found a way to get around some of that red tape). Sounds as if he may be a scape goat in this situation. Will follow it for the next few days and see what happens. Maybe more heads will roll??
Old 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Wage Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Sis
Techie - Gotta admit that he probably was not the best person for that job. Whom ever did his background check didn't do his job!
You have to be kidding! His background was absolutely well known. None of the questions about his background are particularly in doubt. It was why he was appointed to the position. His resume was not particularly padded. He had next to no qualifications for the job other than being a Bush loyalist. BTW, the process of getting becoming FEMA director involves going before a panel of the U.S. Senate for approval. His appointment was all politics and no substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Sis
I listened to some of his testimony and I agree with him on some points. However, I disagree with him on some things as well. LA officials were deficient (to say the least), but in a dire emergency, he should have stepped up to the plate and responded properly and much faster and been more aggressive (and found a way to get around some of that red tape). Sounds as if he may be a scape goat in this situation. Will follow it for the next few days and see what happens. Maybe more heads will roll??
He also flat out lied to Congress yesterday, claiming that Orleans county (where N.O. is located) was not included in the disaster declaration. That is absolutely untrue, the Governor specifically named the New Orleans Metroploitan area in her disaster declaration of 8/27. Why should we believe anything that he says?

There were many failings on the part of the Governor and Mayor. No one denies that. But they pale in comparison to not even knowing that there are tens of thousands in the Convention Center without food and water four days after Katrina left.