Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Failed drug tests while on parole

my husband is in county waiting to see what the parole boards choice is for him since failed 3 drug test. that is all he has done wrong. does anyone know what could happen? his p.o. recommened safp. will they go with what his p.o. says or do they decide?even his p.o. told the board at the hearing that he is a modle parolee but he cant leave marijuana alone. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 03:55 PM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

It will ultimately be up to the same judge that sentenced him the first time. I'm sure he will take the PO's suggestion into consideration, but he has the final say in what happens next. Honestly, I'm surprised that his parole was revoked after that FIRST dirty ua!

It does sound like he NEEDS to enter a rehab program.

Good Luck with the safp!
Old 05-10-2006, 05:15 PM

My son was on probation and had dirty ua's. With the help of his lawyer the judge can him SAFP, instead of doing his time - 2 years. There are some horror stories about SAFP, but in my son's case it worked and now he is doing his time at the halfway house after his 6 months at SAFP. He is working and working his 12 step program. He has made many strides towards a clean life.

I wish you luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 PM

jessnkat he didnt revoke. they said he willbe released, safp/isf or revoke and go back to prison. we r wating for the choice the palestine board made
Old 05-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Thanked 11,099 Times in 6,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnkat
It will ultimately be up to the same judge that sentenced him the first time. I'm sure he will take the PO's suggestion into consideration, but he has the final say in what happens next. Honestly, I'm surprised that his parole was revoked after that FIRST dirty ua!

It does sound like he NEEDS to enter a rehab program.

Good Luck with the safp!
The judge has no say in parole/mandatory supervision revocations. It is solely up to the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

The general rule of thumb on a regular caseload is that the first dirty UA will result in a case conference although sometimes they wait until the second to do that. By the third, especially in such a short period of time, the decision by the Parole Division to issue the warrant is a no-brainer.

Realistically, I would look for a decision for an ISF placement with the imposition of Special Condition T (Electronic Monitoring) and a confirmation that Special Condition S is in place.

As others have noted, the releasee in this case obviously does not give a damn about his freedom in the community or he would not have gone straight back to crap like drugs.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 AM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

Thanks for the correct, Lynn - I was thinking of "probation" violation - which does go before the original judge.

Thanks for clearing it all up - as usual!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
awaitn Sept 2nd!!!

My man caught a misd theft charge and a tech violation while on parole and he got ISF(the PO recommended 60 days)so we're hoping he'll be out in june. He says just about all the guys are going home after 60days are up. I'm so happy!! Hope he's learned his lesson!! Goodluck w/ yours!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:48 PM

well he got safp.6 months with that putting him hom in jan. 07
Old 06-10-2006, 11:09 PM

does anyone know if safp for parolees is the whole 6 months or do they have a chance to get out sooner
Old 06-11-2006, 12:47 PM

I don't know if it is different for parolees, but I do know that my son was in violation of his probation and it was a 6 month program. He did get released to the halfway house about 2 weeks earlier than the full 6 months. I hope someone who know about parolees will come and answer your question.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:28 PM

A little off topic, but when my hubby was up for revocation on his probation for getting his 3rd DWI and then looking at going before the judge on the 3rd DWI, or attrny actaully told him that he would get out faster by taking the offer of 3 years to run at the same time on both counts!! Well, I can tell you now that hubby has been there 6 months now and I doubt he is coming home in the next month. He did say that there would be a half way house after SAFEP. The attrny was pretty honest in dealing with us, but I think he was way off the mark on the SafeP advice, not to mention the attrny should have not discouraged treatment, since in my personal opionion, 3 DWI's indicates there is a problem. Anyway, best of luck with your parole problems.....Here's sending positive vibes your way!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:21 PM

thanks
Old 03-01-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
As others have noted, the releasee in this case obviously does not give a damn about his freedom in the community or he would not have gone straight back to crap like drugs.
Maybe I read this wrong or missed something but if I got it right, I'm shocked, disturbed, saddened by the above. I have been an addict my entire life, been in recovery for decades, failed, succeeded for short times, eventually went to TDCJ, released, was doing the deal and doing well. I got the job, go to meetings, have that new outlook, stayed CLEAN.

Yet I picked up Friday as if blindsided and without warning. I felt some strong pain and using is the life I've always known. If I wasnt
on parole it'd be no big deal. I'm acutely aware of my decision, my mistake, my disease, my intention, my recovery and lack thereof... yet I do give a damn about my freedom.

I don't know. The part of me that is so gifted at sabotage and self-destruction showed up right on time. I am not surprised. Yet I do give a damn! On the contrary, maybe it's easier inside. Maybe it's hard out here. Maybe I feel my outcome doesn't matter. Who really cares if I'm inside or out? Failure is par for the course.

Things have been great but we use for any reasons whether because things are great or terrible, when we are happy or sad. We use when we want to use. I don't even care if I get away with it. I'm not stuck in the inescapable trap from my years past that once it begins I'm down for the count. All isn't lost. Things might be lost but not a done deal just because I relapsed. Not yet anyway.

Life was so good, promising, I was succeeding despite being a felon, slowly but surely. It was so great that GD IT of COURSE I'd destroy it all. There's still hope. I used because I wanted to and not because of any other reason. It really hasn't been difficult to stay clean for the first time ever. The time I put together clean is more than I've ever had by far. It's nothing. It's everything. It's meaningless now. Normal folks do it standing on their heads. It wasn't that hard for once and NOT because of consequences as they never kept me clean. I don't fear consequences! In fact I worry I force them such as the prospect of going back. And? Bring it! Losing the job? Sad but not why I have stayed clean. Wanting to live? Maybe more so than ever before. Freedom? Like some far off dream that's never quite wthin reach? For sure.

Jail is easy. Hard but easy. I know how to do that. Being happy? All I've ever dreamed of? Then I start feeling it and it's so typical that I cannot allow me my own happiness. When no one else now blocks my path to freedom, faith, peace, love, hope, it is I that steps into my path creating a roadblock that turns into a dead end that has become a one-way street which seemingly has no exits.

I've been SO HAPPY and sure people use for that reason too. It feels unnatural to feel so decent after decades of using to stop pain, to stop feelings, to stand the unchanging hopelessness or the decades I was trapped in using unable to stop. Yet it's been so long since I remember life being good or so right or straight and narrow or too promising that in order to 'celebrate' I use.

It's sabotage. If I can f*ck it up, even if I don't even seem to KNOW it, some part of me is crying for failure. I can't reason with that part of me as it's hidden from my awareness. That behind-the-scenes me is running the show and it's torn into shreds my attitude, my faith and positive outlook. I feel disbelief and not at mistakes I feel I made but rather at this thing that had to attack what was just fine and going well, this thing that had to attack life. I tasted living and it is beautiful. The idea of life is filled with visions of hope and glimpses of dreams that can be reality if I just stay the course.
Recovery says we use because of no other reason than we want to use. I made the decision to use. Why? I wanted to. It's just baffling, though, as it's not like I had any belief it would be soothing, fun, escape, like old times since I can't even remember glory days since that was a lifetime ago, literaly. I never thought I wouldn't regret it yet I never thought I'd not regret it. I never for a moment thought of any single possible thing I would get from it other than misery. I never doubted that the staying clean thing wasn't not only the only way to be, I knew it's the only way.

What I discovered not too far back and that I do know is that through using, I cannot find that which I seek. I had it wrong my entire life. All the peace, serenity, happiness, joy, love and all that is good in life does not exist in drugs at all. All I seek is anywhere but in using. Figuring that out, I truly believed would keep me clean for the rest of my days. Finding out that all that is perfect, good and right is so far from being high, I thought would make ever using again absolutely not even possible.

"As others have noted, the releasee in this case obviously does not give a damn about his freedom in the community or he would not have gone straight back to crap like drugs."

That hurts. It's so unfortunate that drugs have stolen loved ones, family members, friends. Those in the grips also are acutely aware (years after the party is over) of the devastation as they live it, day in and out. It just struck me to read someone say that someone who got out and used doesn't give a damn about freedom or they'd not have gone straight back. Drugs put most inside and simple abstinence is in no way recovery. And recovery is a lifelong process that takes vigilant, daily maintenance. There isn't an easy answer by any means. Rehabs, recovery houses, hospitals, institutions all exist but none ensure recovery. It's a process and it can be introduced to an addict by exposure to these forms of intervention - recovery groups, churches - an opening must be made somewhere to start the process. Just going to TDC does nothing for an addict who has not been introduced to recovery. Without recovery, so many count the days to use again - not days until freedom - but until they can use.

in TDC the entire time I was there, I had the opportunity to attend 3 meetings only - tiny AA meetings. If one was lucky they could find a space in the Chaplain's Celebrate Recovery or similar program meeting once a week. Recovery literature was nonexistent - not in the libraries - the only copy of an AA or NA book was a cellie's single Big Book and my own Basic Text that I had to request from friends/family for many months. The literature states that we tried religion and psychiatry but none of these methods were sufficient for us. We go on to the bitter ends. It's a problem of such epidemic proportions with completely inadequate resources. Simply imprisoning an addict solves nothing. The disease lays in wait strengthening.

Prison did allow enough time for the mind to clear at which time an addict is MOST receptive to hearing a message of recovery. With a clear mind a prisoner generally has enough time for drugs to completely leave their systems and even deal with much 0f Post Acute Withdrawal. Yet with no real recovery being offered or provided inside then nothing is changing. Nothing can change. It's simply hurrying up and waiting. The disease is not being arrested and treated. And the drug prisons terrify inmates. Addiction can't be punished or beaten out. Addiction is treated through recovery and recovery is found in the programs of AA, NA and other 12-step based recovery programs.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeBonesHeart For This Useful Post:
burnyswife (03-03-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

LeeBones, I have a lot of sympathy for your struggle, but the essence of recovery is that it's inside you. Always has been, always will be. If you don't want to stop using, all the meetings in the world don't help. The best rehabs don't help.

You can work a lot of the steps on your own....but it has to be honest. Some help from someone who knows deeply how we lie to ourselves is never amiss, but the answers are still inside.

Meanwhile, you slipped on the outside...did you decide not to call your sponsor? Did you attend all the meetings you could while you were out? Did you give yourself a clever reason to relapse? Most do.

It must be hell....and I speak only as the sister of an addict, the wife of an addict, friends to heaven knows how many addicts, not as an addict myself. One brother went to one rehab and has never relapsed in 35 years. The other has been through interventions and rehabs and still hasn't managed to hold tight to reality. The ex-husband turned into a Fundamentalist Christian to get away from his habit (although I don't think he really did, just traded drugs for pulpit pounding). The friends? Some made it out the other side, most didn't, regardless of how much they were loved, how many times they were rehabbed. It's got to be a great big grizzly bear of a problem...
Old 03-03-2016, 12:00 PM

LeeBones, I am sorry to hear of your relapse, I just had 6 months on Sunday, I grip my key tag tightly, fearful that it will be ripped from my grip. Or I might just ley it slip through my fingers, its usually not this huge monumental thing. I hope you jumped back on your program, don't beat yourself up to bad "put down the bat" Thanks for sharing