Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Michigan prison Visitation, Phones & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's sub-forum category.

Old 09-13-2002, 08:33 AM

Default How do Visits work?

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how the visits work in Michigan? I received my application to visit my son and I am waiting for approval to come. Apparently the facility where he is has visits every day from 10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. I bet they will probably though be behind glass? I dunno, at county they were behind glass and there were not phones or anything. Basically you had to scream at each other through a little tiny hole. You had to wait like 1-2 hours for your 10 minute turn.

I am anxiously awaiting my first visit with my son and will go on my first day off that I have after getting approval for the visits. I will let you know how that goes. I am though wondering how your visits go?

Hugs,

Jodi
The state of Michigan has 17,000 inmates incarcerated beyond their release date. Costing taxpayers 497 MILLION dollars a year. That would fund alot of education! Outraged? Contact your Senators, Representatives and Governor!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2002, 08:13 PM

The way the visits work depend on the facility. My husband has never been in Baraga so I dont know how they do it there. What level is he? Level 4 Jackson they had a big visiting room with vending machines. But level 5 Oaks, it's through the glass on a phone. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2002, 12:24 PM

Hey, Jodi!
I'm quite sure that all the level 1 and 2 prisons have contact visits unless the inmate is in disciplinary seg. Where my boyfriend is, which is a level 1, he gets 8 visits a month, doesn't matter which day of the week, in a small, crowded visiting room. One kiss/hug at the start and end. Each visitor can bring in $10 in quarters for vending machines. Visitors only get to use the bathroom once, else it counts as an extra visit.
Also, don't wait to hear from the prison on whether or not you're approved!!! Call Baraga and ask. Someone tipped me off to do this, so I called and found out I was approved, and I visited, and then three weeks later the form came to me in the mail saying "You're approved now." I was sure glad I didn't wait.
I hope you have a great visit with your son. I know you'll feel better after you see him in person again.
Hugs,
Carisa
Old 09-20-2002, 07:38 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Snowdancer,

Watch what you wear. No shorts that are over 4 inches above the knee. Sometimes no tank tops or sleeveless tops (depends on who's working guard wise) and nothing that's the least bit see thru--shirt wise. No leggings. Make sure your top does not come down low at all. Dress conservative. The prisons all have different visiting hours so call and ask. Also, ask when lock down or count is---don't arrive close to lock down or you'll be stuck waiting forever---there's no movement during lock down as they have to count all the guys and make sure no one has left or some such nonsense. Anyway, it can be frustrating waiting. Also, don't arrive close to shift change or you sit and wait. I think they all change at 2 pm. Ask the guard who answers when you call all these questions it saves frustration on you.

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 09-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,052 Posts

Jodi... I know you are excited about going to see your son. I haven't been to visit in Baraga (YET)... but I do know that the level 5's are a no contact visit. Other than that, I have no idea.
I'm happy for you.... you'll have to keep us posted on how the visit goes!

Jodygirl
Old 09-27-2002, 07:46 AM

Default Visit to Baraga

Hello Friends!

Well, I am happy that I was able to go and visit Justin. The visit went well and he was very surprised to see me since he did not know that I was coming.

The prison itself is very clean, well lit and the officers to which I saw were professional yet friendly. I did not have to wait hardly at all to see my son, maybe only 10 minutes tops and thought he visit was through the glass with the use of a phone to communicate it was nice. Better than county where we had to shout at the top of our lungs through a teeny hole in the wall.

Since there were no other visitors, I was allowed to stay for two hours which was nice.

He looked clean and had some color to his skin, unlike how pale and sick he looked after almost a year at county where he was never allowed outdoors. He gets to go out here every day. He seemed content and says he gets along with the others in his "house". He says the guards treat them well they do not put up with any monkey business but they are treated with respect and in turn the officers have the respect of the inmates.

It doesn't seem to be too bad of a place. Though it is in the middle of no where..... AND I MEAN NO WHERE!!!!!!

Hope you are all having a good day!

Hugs!

Jodi
The state of Michigan has 17,000 inmates incarcerated beyond their release date. Costing taxpayers 497 MILLION dollars a year. That would fund alot of education! Outraged? Contact your Senators, Representatives and Governor!
Old 10-03-2002, 01:10 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,052 Posts

Ahhh, Jodi.... I'm glad to hear that your visit went well! I am so happy for you... and for Justin! I'm glad he's getting along well there.
So how soon are you going for another visit?

The other Jody
Old 10-03-2002, 02:00 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Jody,

How come you had to visit thru glass? I'm glad it went well though.

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 10-10-2002, 05:32 PM

Hi Deb,

At Baraga I guess they have to earn contact visits........ Some rule huh?

Hugs,

Jodi
Old 10-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Closed

Well I just got back from a wonderful visit with my James. I saw him Friday from 3:30 - 8 and Sat and Sun 10-8. As far as how the visit worked. I of course had to be on his visit list first off, and I mention that cause everyday I went there, there was someone who had been bumped or taken off a prisoners list and was in tears or mad as hell over it. I phoned and checked the day before I went to make sure everything was cool as far as my name on the list. From what I understood, you can get bumped off a list without a prisoner even knowing it, if he adds too many people.
So you fill out the book and give them your drivers licence, buy your photocards from the vending machine, make sure you pee before you go in cause if your staying for a long visit you can only pee once and after that its counted as a new visit. Make sure you wait to get your drivers licence back before getting your locker.
So once the prisoner is located and brought down, they call you up, and you go threw a metal detector, get searched, etc. They write on your hand to identify you and then you go threw into a middle room where your hand is looked at. By then you can see your loved one in the next room waiting for you.
So then you go in for your visit. You can have one kiss (long) and hug but dont move your hands around, they dont like that. The prisoner can get written up for a serious sexual misconduct that will be shown in their parole hearing if its coming up anytime soon. So you can do this at the beginning and at the end of the visit.
So you can bring in 10 bucks worth of quarters to use the vending machines to eat for both of you, you can usually slip in more cause they dont count them, but dont go over board, and they need to be in a clear bag of some sort with your locker key, they have baggies if you forget. The prisoner can't touch the quarters, or go to the vending machines so you have to pick their food and microwave it for them and you can get pop too. You can sometimes get playing cards and a pen and paper from the "guard" on duty. They have cameras on you, plus the guard watching you and there is a two way mirror high up in one corner where they watch you from the back. You all have to face forward all the time and you cant get carried away with your affection. For example, I was told on the Friday to stop caressing his forearm. You can't talk to the other prisoners or their visitors while your in there either. A guy comes in for you to take pictures, and they wont tell you this but you can kiss for the pictures too, but make sure you stop after the picture is taken. You can also sit on their lap for the picture on a chair.
So if you have to pee, you will have to get a pass from the guard and go all the way back out to processing again. On the way back in you have to be searched again. According to the visitor handbook there, they have the right to completely seach you if you know what I mean. Remember your loved one gets completely searched when he leaves always.
As far as what you wear, be really careful. On the saturday, I had a long sleeve round necked top on with a zip sweater over it. They made me have the sweater zipped up to my neck for the whole visit and the top didnt show cleavage, it wasnt low. So they can be picky, and I saw them turn someone else away cause her pants were pretty tight.
If anyone wants to know about the Kinross/Kincheloe area let me know. There are 4 prisons at least all around there. Basically that is all that is there pretty much. The one hotel is pretty alright, and I think all their business comes from visitors to the prison pretty much. Otherwise the whole place is really remote, but I do have a shuttle bus schedule to the prisons there from the Sault if anyone is interested and it costs 1.50 each way. Much cheaper than a cab. Be prepared to be on a bus full of prison guards though, I didnt expect that but I guess its primary use is to get guards to and from work though its a public shuttle.
Oh yes, also dress in layers when you visit at least Kinross, the visiting room is either boiling hot or freezing cold it seems. The lockers at the prison for your coat and purse and stuff cost 50 cents. Photo tickets are 1.50, hotel is around 56 bucks a night but pretty much walking distance to the prisons and it has free breakfast in the morning. There is an IGA there right behind the hotel where you can buy food etc and the hotel room will give you your own coffee machine and it has a frig in each room.
The visiting rooms were never busy, considering there are over a 1000 men just at Kinross. So there arent any line ups, Im assuming its cause its so remote up there. But I do have a number from an organization in Michigan that does trips for visitors from southern michigan and surrounding areas if anyone wants it. Its from the prison newspaper.
As far as my visit, it was soooo very wonderful. He had already asked me to marry him, but I brought an engagement ring on my finger of my other hand, and he was able to ask me properly during our visit on Friday. We have made plans to marry the first week in July in Detroit, or in Kinross prison if he doesnt get paroled next year. I cried almost all the way home, cause I miss him so very much. But I know its worse for him. I know even though I feel like Im doing this time with him, its nothing compared to how he feels. I'm an ex myself, so I understand how he feels in there, but I can't do anything about it no matter how much I wish I could rescue him and bring him home.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Thanks witchlinblue for your information. Carl gets sentanced on 1-21-04, so he hasn't made it to reception yet. I'm still wondering how visits will go for him, especially since I have no idea where he'll be placed. Some of the guys inside have said that you can get all day visits or something like that. I also wonder if all contact visits are like yours. I hope your honey comes home to you soon. My journey is just begining so my road is still a long one to endure. Thank you again.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:34 PM

Dear LadyStarfish,

Good luck on the sentencing. When he is in reception they will determine the "level" facility that is appropriate for him. Depending on the level he is placed in that is how the visits whether they are contact or through the glass are decided.

Initially my son was incorrectly placed in a Level 5 facility. He was supposed to go to a Level 1 secure but since there were no openings in a Level 1 he was at Level 5 for five months. He was then moved to a Level 2 (still no openings in Level 1 secure). At level five visits were "through the glass". When he was moved to a Level 2 our visits then became contact visits. Both facilites have visitation daily but only a certain number of visits per month at level 5 (four visits per month). Now he is at a Secure Level 1 and the visits can only be a certain number on the weekend per month. And I beleive the max is seven visits per month... ??? Someone help me out.

I am going to see Justin next week and will pick up another copy of the visitors packet I can then post more current informtion for you... Anyone know what level is through the glass and what level is contact? I am not sure at what level it changes only that 1 and 2 are contact and 5 is non-contact...

Hugs,

Jodi
Old 01-20-2004, 07:09 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

lol Jody it depends on the facility... Bill's secure level 1 and we can visit 8 times per month and it can be any days we want not just weekends!

Deb

September 10th 2009