Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Default I wrote a letter to State Representatives today and would like to share.....

This is the letter that I wrote to 2 State Representatives regarding the budget and early release program. I have removed personal names in info but will share the rest with you.......

Dear Representatives Ash and Konopnicki,

Once again I come to you with pleading and with questions regarding the Arizona deficit and an early release program.

Basically, most inmates locked up in Arizona prisons are non-violent offenders that are there for mostly drug crimes. The majority of the rest are there on probation violations, minor felonies and DUI’s. I don’t need to tell you this as you know from your deliberations and your research into this matter.

Again, I write to you regarding our loved one, ********* at ******* Unit. He is there from Tennessee and will gleefully come back…saving the State of Arizona approximately $22K+ per year of his incarceration. He is there on a probation violation that he has served his time on and a ******** charge that doesn’t pertain to him. You may Google him and find his appeals and case notes online. I will spare you the details of his case in this email.

I would like to spare another thing for you and the State of Arizona, if you will. It is no secret that Arizona is looking for donations for the deficit. One effective way of saving $22K+ per year is to add ****** to an early release and send him home to us that need him here in Tennessee. That is approximately $100K that Governor Brewer can add back to the budget. Yes, a measly $100K isn’t much when talking about one person. But, multiply this by 10,000 + other inmates and now the numbers start to make sense including the cost per inmate on food and medical care. Ok, so there is now an mandate to send immigrants back to ICE because the Federal Government is not paying for their incarceration. How about taking stock of those inmates from out of state and sending them home on early release, probations or even home arrests? In the case of *******, why should he mandatorily do time for a crime that does not pertain to him? This is the question we have raised with the Arizona Supreme Court and while waiting for *********to be added to the agenda to be heard on a Petition For Review, I will continually ask for help as he is a non-violent, no ticket, no disciplinary action, non SO inmate that is a 3/1 class only because he requested such for his own safety and protection and to be eligible for the current yard he is in. You may check his record which shows him as a 2/1 class. He is no threat to society and has a paid position waiting on him with ********* as a Music Minister/Worship Leader. This position will start him at $30k+ per year. He also has the family ministry-******** Music Ministries—that he will be recording selected songs from the 41 he has written for Christ while incarcerated. This makes him an excellent candidate for coming home!

Incidentally, contact with our loved ones is becoming harder and harder as the mail is now slower than ever. It is now recommended to put the Pod and Bed Number of the inmate along with the address when sending any correspondence. This may sound trivial, but letter writing is all many inmates have to any life line from home. On an average now, letters from home are taking approximately 2 weeks or better. An early indication of what is happening with short staff and a precursor for more problems to come.

There is no mystery that the cost of incarceration is $22k+ per year versus the $3K per year it costs for custodial release to family or for probation. No one wants to see the privatization of prisons and especially the loss of employment of ADOC staff. But with the overcrowding and the increase of max sentencing resulting in longer sentences with the 85% rule…where does this leave Arizona in 6 months?! In a complete mess that puts thousands at risk in our prison systems including the skeleton staff that remains there. Not only does this put the ADOC and inmates/staff at risk, but puts the prison communities at risk more so than an early release of non-violent offenders.

Where are the discussions on raising revenue and not borrowing to make the budget work? Budget cuts, full sweeps and borrowing seems to be the order of the day…but still no revenue discussions?

Something’s got to give here….the budget outlined in this fashion, again, puts our each of our loved ones at risk. Then what? Sentence reductions, early release, more than 90 days for TR and out of state prisoner releases need to be carefully reviewed and implemented.

How long will the recommendations of qualified analysts, department heads and of others be ignored in this situation? The expected hint for FY11 is a forecasted deficit budget of $3.4 Billion meaning if cuts alone are used for Arizona, then the amount of deficit equals the amount of budget. Again, why is revenue not a part of the discussions? Moreover, the Parks Department is the only avenue for making any kind of consistent revenue and now most of the parks will be closed. Perhaps this contribution is minimal at best, but again, a consistent revenue.

What will happen when the State’s assets are leased, sold or leased back? What happens if there is no follow through? What happens when the $325M is due to the public schools February 1st and that payment isn’t made? Will the public schools need to borrow to continue operating? With the National Economy the way it is, will giving the State staff an IOU good for 90 days be an acceptable practice? What will happen when the banks stop cashing those IOU’s?….Look to your neighbor California-- whose municipal bonds are worth anything. Is Arizona right behind them? Is rolling borrowed funds an acceptable practice now?

Why is a prevailing belief at the Legislature that all these cuts can still balance the budget?

In closing, why should I be so concerned with the State of Arizona when I live over 1800+ miles away in Tennessee? Because our ******* is there and while he is…the budget of Arizona is my business. If I recognize disaster from this far away and review the issues in an unbiased manner, then what is it really like to reside there? Does anyone think of the many citizens that will look for employment, housing and business opportunities in other states?

Please, please….assist us in ****** return home. We implore you to examine his record and his time while incarcerated. We ask once again for his release early or any assistance with a sentence reduction.

Thank you for your time and for your help in this matter. I understand and know that Arizona is a place you love and will stand for what will put Arizona in the black again.

May God Bless you and your families in this new coming year,

******** and Family

1Corinthians 2:5 “….your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the Power of God.”
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrsJamison For This Useful Post:
13MmeHomard13 (01-26-2010), B's~Queen (01-01-2010), BJ2010 (12-29-2009), briandi (12-30-2009), ENSWHITED (12-29-2009), mandymoo (12-29-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Ash just held a hearing on sentencing reform - you can listen to the video of the session online by going to the legislative website and clicking on the video 2009 section.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conovember View Post
Ash just held a hearing on sentencing reform - you can listen to the video of the session online by going to the legislative website and clicking on the video 2009 section.
Thank you so much! This issue is so important to all of us in so many ways! Happy New Year to you and God Bless you and your family!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:36 PM

For some reason, I can't find this video...perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? Thank you for the help!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:10 AM

I found it and watching....very informative...thank you!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Your welcome - you can contact Ash's office and ask to be added the the list to be notified of upcoming hearings/sessions regarding sentencing.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 PM

I have done that. In fact, I have requested to attend at my own expense and hope to give public opinion regarding this. I will let you know and if I go, I will be glad to gather information regarding sentencing and public opinion. I will keep you posted. Have a Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM

You can sign in to speak and submit a written response if you are not able to attend.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM

Again, good to know. Thank you for the help!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Forever His

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by conovember View Post
This may be a dumb question....but does this sentence reform apply to state or federal. Or maybe even both?