Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 PM
new felon

Default Aliceville, AL

I just found out that the BOP first assigned me to Dublin, Ca (The judge requested I stay close to home due to my sons mild disabilities, he has cerebral palsy mild, brain damage from his two brain bleeds and weighed 1 pound born at 24 weeks) so the BOP issues my institution as Dublin on 3/27/13 & then on 4/23/13 they sent another e mail that has designated me to go to Aliceville, Al women's camp. I am fearful of my incarceration because of my son and being without me for 42 months which is my sentence time. Can anyone give me any information on the camps at Dublin or Aliceville? I'm freaking out and just can't stop crying!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,095 Times in 12,761 Posts

You will find quite a bit of information about the federal minimum security camps for women in the Federal camps for women sticky in the fed forums.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50568

The differences between them are mostly due to the physical buildings, since the restrictions in all of them are as relaxed as anything in the federal prison system. Just about everyone there knows they are lucky to be in a camp, and they are reluctant to act out, which will end up with being sent to a higher security, and thus much harsher, prison. (like the medium security FCI next door).

The A&O handbook for the Aliceville FCP explains the inmate rules at the camp.
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...aohandbook.pdf

Last edited by fbopnomore; 04-30-2013 at 07:54 AM..
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM

If you look up helloirene here on the forum her granddaughter will be transported there soon. I am hoping to be placed there after sentencing on July 1. It is a new facility and you can see some pictures of the location if you google it. Right now they have 141 campers. They can take a total of 256 or so if I remember correctly. Because its a brand new facility I am assuming that it should be pretty decent facility wise. According to what I have read it is the first "green" facility, which is interesting as far as energy consumption and recycling. The handbook posted above is pretty general and I can not see any specific information that is particular to Aliceville, just general prison expectations. I reviewed their commissary list, and right now it is kind of sparse compared to other female facility lists I have reviewed (I guess this is due to Aliceville being a brand new facility). Overall it looks like if you have to do time, this place seems more than doable. It will take some time for your mind to adjust to the situation regarding leaving your family and what all that means and the adjustment can't begin until you are there and starting the process. Good luck. This site is really helpful in preparing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtoles For This Useful Post:
Abolitionist (01-21-2014), fbopnomore (05-01-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM

The handbook I was referring to above is on bop.gov website under Aliceville. It explains a lot about what to expect but it reads just like all the other handbooks, no specific info for Aliceville facility. When do you report?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 AM

If any have air cond is got to be good...lol
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 PM

I know it's tough to come to grips with, but you'll endure anything if it means you get more visits from your family.

Last edited by bigpappy; 05-03-2013 at 10:13 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpappy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-04-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
new felon

My SS is June 14, 2013 but that's a Friday so I'm going in on 6/13/13. I've read NEVER surrender on a Friday. Hopefully I'll see you there, I'll be the one in green : )

If you get there my name is Denise Browning
Old 05-08-2013, 08:47 PM

What is this of not to SS on a Friday? I SS ON A FRIDAY.....shouldn't I not?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

My guess it is because of a worry about not being able to complete your processing-in before the weekend. Weekends in the bop operate differently than the normal work week. Processing takes a few hours at R&D, and if the SSs are scheduled for Friday, I'm sure it won't be a problem. That doesn't mean your arrival will go smoothly either, but I doubt that the day of the week is a major factor.

I went directly from R&D to the shu a number of different times because of a lack of available beds in the housing units. Planning ahead is not a strong suit of the bop. Example, I was on a prison transport bus that left about 15 inmates off at Morgantown, WVA minimum security camp. A CO got on and told them that they were all going to the shu until a bed opened up for them.

If you do get locked up on Friday, count on being there at least until Monday though.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:15 PM

I hear that they are understaffed. I hope that changes by August. If you get there in the morning on Friday maybe checking in wont be so bad. They probably will still have plenty of camp spaces by then. The numbers for the camp have not been going up hardly any since they opened.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee9876 View Post
What is this of not to SS on a Friday? I SS ON A FRIDAY.....shouldn't I not?
If you show up early will they go ahead and process you? If you do that I guess you take all your court papers. I would search to see if that has occurred on here.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:53 AM
new felon

Default Ss on friday

i have read a lot of books and researched camp & Aliceville extensively. I also took a free class put on by the pre-trial PO's in my district and the expectation of SS on a Friday is you run a high risk for going to the SHU aka the hole. Because the admin of entering a prison (camp) is tedious and requires a lot of paperwork before you even get your uniform and taken to the camp building you could end up in the SHU. Your first day will be the hardest (or so I've read from released campers) & you dont want to add to your apprehension, fear, stress of the unknown so to avoid the POSSIBILITY I am going in a day early. It's your personal preference.
Since I SS before you I will try & get some info on this forum about my experience & it will either ease your mind or add to your anxiety but at least you will know. See ya in camp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Newfelon For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The first day in prison will definitely be the hardest, shu or no shu, because of the fear of the unknown. Try to remember that things will get much better, quickly, with familiarization over time.

Any new situation, job, school, whatever, has some frightening aspects, but with prison, they are definitely magnified because of the power differences in play. It's like arriving at military basic training, with the added stress of being locked up too.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfelon View Post
i have read a lot of books and researched camp & Aliceville extensively. I also took a free class put on by the pre-trial PO's in my district and the expectation of SS on a Friday is you run a high risk for going to the SHU aka the hole. Because the admin of entering a prison (camp) is tedious and requires a lot of paperwork before you even get your uniform and taken to the camp building you could end up in the SHU. Your first day will be the hardest (or so I've read from released campers) & you dont want to add to your apprehension, fear, stress of the unknown so to avoid the POSSIBILITY I am going in a day early. It's your personal preference.
Since I SS before you I will try & get some info on this forum about my experience & it will either ease your mind or add to your anxiety but at least you will know. See ya in camp.
Either way, would appreciate the info.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Has anyone heard anything else about Aliceville? I hear it's a low not medium facility. I also heard it's camp is not full yet and there is barely any low inmates housed there. I looked at last week census and it was 36/197.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The bop facility locator says the FCI is a Medium security prison with an adjacent minimum security camp.
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/ali/index.jsp

It isn't even shown on the bop's "facilities housing females" page, so maybe they are both incorrect.
http://www.bop.gov/locations/female_facilities.jsp
Old 07-25-2013, 05:58 PM

Actively Hiring: The BOP's standing register for correctional officer (CO) positions has reopened. These are accessible through*USAJOBS.FCI Aliceville (for females), a low security institution with a satellite prison camp located in the city of Aliceville in west central Alabama, has come on line. Interested parties may read about employment options available in the Bureau by visiting the Careers section.*

Here is how BOP list it in the careers section.
fbopnomore (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 AM

The main prison has now opened according to the BOP census. The camp is almost at 200 and the Medium Security has 35 inmates as of last week. So I guess hiring is going fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtoles For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-26-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 PM
wandering into the sunset

By next month, women will start to be moved out of the Danbury FCI, and many of them are headed to Aliceville.
fbopnomore (07-28-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingtourist View Post
By next month, women will start to be moved out of the Danbury FCI, and many of them are headed to Aliceville.
I saw a newspaper article about the transfer. They are changing it to a mens facility. There are a lot of people, including congress persons who are really upset because this will place a lot of people so far away from their people.

The move will not affect their prison camp, so the campers will not be going to the Aliceville camp.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtoles For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-09-2013)
Old 06-23-2014, 05:30 PM

i got a call from my daughter about an hour ago letting me know that there had been a big change in plans.
instead of going to alderson wv as she was told she is going to aliceville al. this is a huge kick in the butt for us! alderson would have been a 3hr drive, aliceville will be a little over 7hr drive. as i am on SSD i will be basically unable to afford to visit her.
is there any new info on aliceville? what little i have been able to find hasn't been much at all. i can't even read the handbook as the PDF is totally blank and so is the commissary PDF.
any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
echo
Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's a direct link to the Alderson commissary list.
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...I_CommList.pdf

I couldn't find their actual visiting rules either. There is some information on page 24 of the A&O handbook.
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...aohandbook.pdf

Both of the pdf files did open on my computer, so if they are still blank on yours, download another pdf reader.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Abolitionist
Donation Award 

My daughter has been incarcerated at FCI Aliceville since last August. I've visited her 4 times in the past year. It is a 13 hour trip for us. The best thing about visitation is it is face to face and you can visit from 8:30 am until 3 pm. Vending machines are available in the visitation room and you can take $30 worth of coins in a clear plastic bag with you into visitation.

The prison is new, very clean and neat and going through some serious growing pains. Programming for the prisoners is minimal. Books and photos are okay to mail. They can also receive and send email via CorrLinks which is better than what she encountered before arriving there.

Food is okay, better than anywhere else she has been. It was good for her to finally get some fresh air and sunshine. Lots of INS inmates transferred there recently. The prison is pretty close to full capacity.

She's just trying to make the best of her time and trying to keep a positive attitude as she is serving a 20 year sentence. Hope that helps.
Echomoon (07-01-2014), fbopnomore (06-24-2014), InMooseWeTrust (08-04-2015)
Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I meant Aliceville commissary list, not Alderson, oops.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Thanks to both of you, fbopnomore and Abolitionist for the post backs.

i haven't heard a peep out of her so far tho she did say that it might be a week or so. but i sure am getting antsy to hear something at least! a call or a letter, at least something. the waiting is what drives me over the edge. not hearing from her and not knowing how she is doing or how she might be getting along.
The Following User Says Thank You to Echomoon For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-02-2014)