Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arizona that do not fit into any other Arizona sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:25 PM

Question What will happen to inmates if/when martial law is announced

Good day all, I am not sure this is right place to post my question (2nd place within forum I posted question)..
Wondering what will happen if/when martial law is announced (shf) what will happen to our inmates? I have heard rumors but no certainties. I have been told min inmates would be released and rest gassed? Any help/direction for me to find out will be most appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM

all inmates that are not minimum will be gassed?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

bval, I'm not sure where this kind of rumor gets started. But, if you're worrying your heart about it, then think about what would be required to initiate martial law. It's an emergency process that must be undertaken by a state government or the Feds. There was a flap last year about Tucson, but nothing more has come of it.

Even if there were a declaration of martial law, there would be no 'gassing' of prisoners. That's not part of any martial law.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 AM

wait what is this marital law? And gassing?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacswifey619 View Post
wait what is this marital law? And gassing?
Martial Law The exercise of government and control by military authorities over the civilian population of a designated territory.
Martial law is an extreme and rare measure used to control society during war or periods of civil unrest or chaos. According to the Supreme Court, the term martial law carries no precise meaning (Duncan v. Kahanamoku, 327 U.S. 304, 66 S. Ct. 606, 90 L. Ed. 688 [1946]). However, most declarations of martial law have some common features. Generally, the institution of martial law contemplates some use of military force. To a varying extent, depending on the martial law order, government military personnel have the authority to make and enforce civil and criminal laws. Certain civil liberties may be suspended, such as the right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures, freedom of association, and freedom of movement. And the writ of Habeas Corpus may be suspended (this writ allows persons who are unlawfully imprisoned to gain freedom through a court proceeding). Martial law on the national level may be declared by Congress or the president. Under Article I, Section 8, Clause 15, of the Constitution, Congress has the power "[t]o provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress insurrections and repel Invasions." Article II, Section 2, Clause 1, of the Constitution declares that "[t]he President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States." Neither constitutional provision includes a direct reference to martial law. However, the Supreme Court has interpreted both to allow the declaration of martial law by the president or Congress. On the state level, a governor may declare martial law within her or his own state. The power to do so usually is granted in the state constitution.

With the state of the government that we now have it is VERY possible this will happen.. collapse of the dollar will create civil unrest.

Was just curious as to what would happen to inmates IN CASE OF Obama calling martial law.

Gassing is to use gas to eliminate something..

Last edited by bval; 02-22-2014 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: for got 2nd question asked
The Following User Says Thank You to bval For This Useful Post:
Wendy1918 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 AM

so they'll gas our loved ones? Oh that's just wrong!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:36 PM

this is where the serenity prayer comes in. If/when martial law is declared we have no control over that at all. I try not to worry and dwell on it. I do share the same fears expressed here, but at the same time... what could we do to stop or change it!?!?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

Please, stop listening to John Blood! The dollar is not collapsing, there is no unrest that would cause a request for martial law, and gassing of inmates is absolutely not part of a declaration of martial law.

Stop!
brokenmother (02-23-2014), patchouli (02-23-2014), prayerworks53 (02-22-2014), rkj2821 (02-22-2014), sass4221 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,043 Times in 3,003 Posts

Remember the riots in CA in 1992? And there were not enough cops to handle it so the National Guard was called in to help? That's martial law. Getting a military-sort of presence to assist law enforcement.

So in a prison setting, if prison personnel cannot handle the issues, then city/county/state cops will be called and if that isn't enough then the National Guard will be called in to help.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Omg someone needs to delete this thread. And what will happen if revelations happens while our loved ones are incarcerated? Or aliens invade our planet while our lived ones are incarcerated? GTFOH
Old 02-23-2014, 10:25 AM

Wow, I read your question and should have stopped there, but since I was having a really bad day I wanted to continue on hoping to be cheered up. And I was, thanks to the responses. REALLY?? You have someone incarcerated and you're worried that a gassing through martial law will take him/her out?? You need to worry about the CURRENT REAL LIFE situation our inmates face every moment of every day...corrupted CO's, psycho CO's, CO's willing to turn their backs, CO's who flat out don't care other than that paycheck. You need to worry about your loved one's cellie, a trip to the shower, a trip to chow and back, recreation time, the gangs, racial dissent, broken cell doors. H**L, worry about ineffectual/lacking medical care, mental health care, CO's that stare at a bleeding loved one until medical arrives because 'blood is a hazard'. I apologize if my anger has offended anyone; it's been a really bad weekend for me. Bval, stop worrying about 'martial law'. You wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway! BUT you CAN join your state's prison abolition group (s) to make a difference. Google the info. It will be there. If EVERYONE ON PTO became active in prison abolition changes would be made! Especially since the majority on this site are WOMEN!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,043 Times in 3,003 Posts

@brokenmother- Google this particular prison in the Arizona news. At the moment there are fights and riots there.
So yeah, the OP was worried for a reason.
Keep this thread on topic or it will be closed.

If you don't know the current status of a person's situation, try to find out before you judge.

Your comments were totally uncalled for.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:53 AM

Wow, how interesting...my first response to sass4221was deleted before it posted, so I'll try again...I know the Arizona prison system already, especially THAT prison. My son was murdered on the Cimmaron unit February 22, 2013. I have also worked at two different prisons in Arizona, Florence and Eloy. I've seen with my own eyes how some of the CO's and medical can be. As you so eloquently said 'If you don' t know the current status of a person's current situation, try to find out before you judge'. My comments were not totally uncalled for, they were true. If everyone were to take a stand for prison reform, there would be no question on 'martial law'. I have lived, worked, paid taxes, been familiar with the AZ DOC since I was born, being 1956 to be exact. I know the riots, fights, deaths, injuries, atrocities that happen not only in the Tucson prison but across the state. I know firsthand about the coverups and lack of info provided to the families. Obviously I won't comment on Kentucky prisons because I don't live there. There's no room to discuss Kentucky's prison problems in our news because the AZ DOC is a soap opera of its own. Martial law is not going to happen in Tucson or any other Arizona prison. But prison arbitration CAN happen if people really cared, and the best place to start is with those on PTO.
The Following User Says Thank You to brokenmother For This Useful Post:
bval (09-19-2014)