Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:56 PM

Default Judicially Sanctioned to Willard, failed AU, in SHU, not sent to Willard?

Hi I really need someone to help me. My husband was sentenced to the Willard Drug Treatment Program 3 years 6 months with Willard to be exact. Basically he was Judicially Sanctioned to Willard. He left on February 14th, 2018 placed in the Suffolk County Jail where we live on Long Island. After about 7 days he was transferred to Ulster Correctional Facility. My husband was at Ulster for about 16 days when he started to tell me that he should have been sent to Willard. That other inmates are telling him he needs to do something called a "writ" and they have to send him home. I pleaded with my husband not, to please just wait it out and let them take you when they take you. He wouldn't let up. On the 19th day at Ulster Correctional Facility he was playing basketball and sprained his ankle. He called me quickly to tell me he sprained his ankle. He further mentioned, "I'll try to call you later, they have to do a drug test, I guess because I fell and they don't wont to be sued so they want to see if your any drugs" i said Okay we hung up. I didn't hear from my husband until the next day, he called in a panic stating, babe i'm not sure what they are trying to do to me - they are saying my urine had traces of THC in it and I've been written up and I have a hearing in a few days, if found guilty they said they could send me to the box for up to thirty days. I said that's ridiculous are they trying to say you smoked it there he said I guess I don't know, I told them I didn't smoke anything here, nothing and I do smoke marijuahna at home. He said I told them "I've only been off the street for 24 days, I should have THC in my system". Long story short last Tuesday I received a call from someone informing me that my husband lost his hearing and was taken to the box. I immediately called and spoke to a guidance officer who in fact confirmed he was in the "Shoe" (?) and will be there for an extended period of time. She would not answer any questions about who,what, where when and why. I asked why hasn't he gone to Willard, "I can't answer that" , "how long will he be in the shoe" I can't answer that, what happened, I'can't answer that". I said how will I find any of this out she said well he is entitled to one visit either this Saturday or Sunday from the hours of 8:30-2:30, well on Sunday I did just that drove the 3 hours to Ulster Correctional facility to be told he was not there. He's been transferred to Auburn. Called Auburn they said he was in the depot (?) called back again tonight they said he's in Five Points Correctional Facility. I guess my questions are 1. Was there time limit Ulster Correctional had to get my husband to Willard 2. How in the heck can they find someone guilty of having Marijuana in there system when they have not been incarcerated for longer than 24 days (at the time of testing) when marijuana stays in your system for up to 45/60 days. That's a fact. 3. if he's judicially sanctioned to Willard how do they get away with not taking him. Please help. I'm extremely depressed, I just can't bear the thought of him being in something called the "shoe" with medically diagnosed anxiety and depression. Thank you and I apologize for the length.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2018, 10:39 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,200 Posts

Hi there, welcome to PrisonTalk.

When they are talking about the SHU, that stands for "Secure Housing Unit."

It's a form of administrative segregation where people go (usually short term) as punishment for a serious rule violation inside. Usually you are not allowed visitation while serving time in the SHU, as part of your punishment.

While I know it's not fair (nothing is in prison) the fact that he got violated for a drug sanction in there already means he may no longer be eligible for that drug treatment program he was originally scheduled for by his sentencing judge. So he could end up serving his time elsewhere, probably in a higher security facility since he'll get points scored against him for being found guilty of that rule infraction. (Again, I know it's not fair, but nothing is in prison.)

Once he gets out of the SHU and sent back into general population, you should be able to visit him again. But he may find his commissary privileges restricted for a few months depending on what his punishments are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Scott (03-26-2018), xolady (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:06 AM

Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,600 Posts

I'm confused because Willard is a 90 day program. Does he have to do the 3 yrs plus if he doesn't finish?

He is in the box and wont be able to call. You can visit and you can write. Visits are different, so I would call first to find out.

For Willard the clock starts when he arrived there. If there was no bed ready, they can hold him at reception. Call his lawyer to see if there is anything else

Last edited by onedayatatime13; 03-27-2018 at 05:39 AM..
Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,694 Times in 15,326 Posts

It may be that they will send him to the treatment program after his prison time is almost up (if its actually a 90 day program)
Im sorry this happened. Try to take a breath and settle in.
I know its really scary and confusing. (especially when you get 3 or 4 different answers from anyone you speak with)
Hang in there.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 AM

Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,600 Posts

All i heard about Willard, is there is a guy with my guyw ho was kicked out three days before completion. He now doing his sentence out.

If this is the case, once out of SHU, he will talk to his counselor and can I quite about Shock or Work release. Depending in his charges and previous (Willard is for parole violators), he may be eligible.

I hope you hear from him soon and find out how long he will be in the box.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 AM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Hi there, welcome to PrisonTalk.

When they are talking about the SHU, that stands for "Secure Housing Unit."

It's a form of administrative segregation where people go (usually short term) as punishment for a serious rule violation inside. Usually you are not allowed visitation while serving time in the SHU, as part of your punishment.

While I know it's not fair (nothing is in prison) the fact that he got violated for a drug sanction in there already means he may no longer be eligible for that drug treatment program he was originally scheduled for by his sentencing judge. So he could end up serving his time elsewhere, probably in a higher security facility since he'll get points scored against him for being found guilty of that rule infraction. (Again, I know it's not fair, but nothing is in prison.)

Once he gets out of the SHU and sent back into general population, you should be able to visit him again. But he may find his commissary privileges restricted for a few months depending on what his punishments are.
Thank you for this information.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:06 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
All i heard about Willard, is there is a guy with my guyw ho was kicked out three days before completion. He now doing his sentence out.

If this is the case, once out of SHU, he will talk to his counselor and can I quite about Shock or Work release. Depending in his charges and previous (Willard is for parole violators), he may be eligible.

I hope you hear from him soon and find out how long he will be in the box.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
It may be that they will send him to the treatment program after his prison time is almost up (if its actually a 90 day program)
Im sorry this happened. Try to take a breath and settle in.
I know its really scary and confusing. (especially when you get 3 or 4 different answers from anyone you speak with)
Hang in there.
Yes. Sentenced to the Willard Drug Program. Which is 97 Days. Lawyer saying his work here is done, he does not get involved with disciplinary actions at the facility but all he could tell me is there is no way they can take Willard from him as he was Judicially Sentenced to Willard. I just don't know what's going on. His lawyer also stated there is no way the could do a urine and find him guilty of having Marijuana in his system if he just came off of the street. Just very very confused. Stressed. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I'm confused because Willard is a 90 day program. Does he have to do the 3 yrs plus if he doesn't finish?

He is in the box and wont be able to call. You can visit and you can write. Visits are different, so I would call first to find out.

For Willard the clock starts when he arrived there. If there was no bed ready, they can hold him at reception. Call his lawyer to see if there is anything else
Yes, he was sentenced to 3 years with Willard. If he completes the Willard Drug Program and violates on Parole he has the three years over his head. Lawyer won't get involved. Thank you for your time.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:53 PM

I would advise you to breath because this is a slow process. At this point everything is tentative. During his hearing he will be able to speak on his own behalf and an assistant will be assigned to get him documentation he asks for.
Until the disposition if his ticket, everything is u known.
Lawyer is useless in disciplinary procedures. If he wax sentenced to Willard then you need to let the cards play out. It didn't go away, its kind of oh hold right now.
Its so tough to be on the outside, but let it play how it has to.
You keep writing supportive letters.
Patience....NY has a clock of its own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
miabia98 (03-28-2018), nimuay (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,926 Posts

"informing me that my husband lost his hearing"

I think he had his hearing and lost.

I don't know about drug testing; does recent smoking show up different/more strongly than smoking from weeks ago? It would seem the tests would have a way of showing the difference.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:23 PM

Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
"informing me that my husband lost his hearing"

I think he had his hearing and lost.

I don't know about drug testing; does recent smoking show up different/more strongly than smoking from weeks ago? It would seem the tests would have a way of showing the difference.
JMO I'd ask for a independant lab to confirm the test. Most likely they destroyed sample and can't produce this so that's what I would do. But having had a nephew who just got out of NY prison system he did Willard at end of his sentence not right off. He was also a drug addict who would lie about anything and call begging family to intervene, LOL he never once called me!!!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:50 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,926 Posts

"He was also a drug addict who would lie about anything and call begging family to intervene"

Imagine that! An addict that lied.

I think it is rare for an inmate that gets busted while in prison for something to tell the 100% truth - especially over the phone or in a letter. Maybe in person, but even then the story might be biased.
Ms Sunny (03-27-2018), xolady (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 PM

Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
"He was also a drug addict who would lie about anything and call begging family to intervene"

Imagine that! An addict that lied.

I think it is rare for an inmate that gets busted while in prison for something to tell the 100% truth - especially over the phone or in a letter. Maybe in person, but even then the story might be biased.
Just because I have to say this yeah all addicts will lie about anything!!!! Even when caught they will make up such creative stories!!!! LOL Sometimes I would almost want to give credit on being so creative, but then remember why they are lying!!!