Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:22 PM
there's my rollin pin!!

Pony, all I can say is what hubby's PO told ne, I'm not the one on SR so those rules don't apply to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Cntact with Felons

I have asked my PO in Iowa and it is strictly prohibited when it is in written form to prisons and other BOP or State regulated facilities or in person..however as my PO stated that would mean that any and all treatment programs would be therefore outlawed as there are many felons there.. he considered this a positive and urged many to ask their PO also but explain in detail what this place was about and even offered that yo let them know it can be a sense of allowing offenders to educate and feel worthy when in other wise rehabilitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outraged View Post
It has been brought to my attention by a PTO member who is currently on Supervised Release, that his PO has informed him that posting on PTO is a violation of the "No Contact With Felons" restriction while on SR.

While I believe this may be an individual decision by this particular PO and may very well have something to do with this individuals charges, I would urge anyone on SR to double check with your PO's to make sure participation on PTO does not violate your SR reastrictions.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,541 Times in 11,950 Posts

When I first found Prison Talk, I read this warning and asked my PO. I was told I could not contact other felons at all, including on Prison Talk. I explained that I was interested in answering prisoner's family members questions about the prison life, so my PO allowed me to do that as long as I did not post when I knew that I would be answering another felon.

Without the warning, I might never have known that I could be violating my probation by posting on Prison Talk, and I was fortunate that my PO allowed me to participate at all. My advice is to clear what you intend to do with your PO before you do it. I was released from probation today without any issues from any of my Prison Talk posts.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 03-13-2012 at 05:59 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
MiniMoose (03-13-2012), SusanWayward (05-27-2012), WorriedSis7 (03-27-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM

What is county supervision?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Not certain, but it probably means supervision by a county probation officer.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Default lifetime supervised release

Does anyone have any experience with federal lifetime supervised release? Anyone have it, and get it removed or lowered?

My son will be released in a few years, followed by LIFETIME S.R. Not many things in life are forever, but this is. Unreal. Non-violent crime. No priors.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 AM

My PO...thought it was a great idea....the one time I saw him....
Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 PM

Default Specific Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by USProbationMB View Post
In response to the No Contact with Felons post. The best advice is to ask your PO what "no contact with felons" mean.

Different officers may interpret it differently.

How I explain it when reading / explaining conditions, is that the Court takes the position that they know who they associate with on a regular basis. If I have an agent call me up and says your person and this felon have been seen together and their up to something, or these guys knew each other in prison and their hooking up again, that's quite a different story than a person who runs into someone on the street that is a felon and says hi and bye and leaves it at that. If someone at work has a felony record, we expect them not to associate with them after work. And, of course the person can always ask me as to whether or not I would give them permission to associate. Times I have approved the association has been when it's a close immediate family member such as a brother that is also a felon or perhaps someone who had a felony from a long time ago and since then has had a clean record.

If permission was asked and the felon hasn't had a violent felony or other felony conviction/arrest in a long time, then I might approve of their association after meeting the person and being convinced that their association would be positive.

In regards to a PO stating that posting on PTO is a violation of the felon association...I think he/she would have a hard time convincing a Judge of that. If the posts on the site were advocating criminal activity and sharing say social security numbers with each other, then yes that would be a violation of association if the officer could prove that the other person was a felon.

However, posts that are on PTO asking clarification as to conditions etc. I would not view as being felon association. I would view this no more different than talking with another felon in the probation office hallway while you're waiting to see your officer. Sure you're talking, but you're not "associating" with the intent or purpose to commit crimes.

However, if you took it one step further and started privately emailing, telephoning or seeing felons that you met on PTO, then that would be a potential violation if you hadn't sought permission for such an association. But again, I would not view the initial contact on PTO as being violation but any unapproved association outside of PTO would be a violation.

Best advise though, is when in doubt ask your PO for clarification. If it still doesn't make sense then ask if the two of you can discuss it with their supervisor (not in a confrontational way but simply for clarification).
I have a more specific question that I would like your insight on. I have been in daily contact with someone who is in a state prison here in California. We met on a pen-pal site and began writing each other in January 2016. This turned into talking on the phone. In the mean time on March 30, 2016 the FBI served a search and seizure warrant at my home while I was not home. In May 2016 I was approved by the prison for visits with my friend. I continued my communications on the phone and I visited him every other weekend since May 2016 continuing through me pleading guilty to one count of bankruptcy fraud under 18 USC 157. Our friendship has recently blossmed into a more serious relationship. Last week I was sentenced for the charge and the court imposed 3 years probation. I do have the standard condition which does state I cannot associate or communicate with a person convicted of a felony without permission from my PO. I have not been assigned a PO yet, but my question is what would you say to this? Keep in mind this person had nothing to do with the offense I was sentenced for and that I have been communicating and visiting with them at the prison through the entire investigation, through my OR release, pleading guilty, and up to sentening without incident.

Thank you so much for any insight you can provide!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Exclamation HWH federal budget cuts announced by DOJ

In yet another federal belt tightening to help fund the tax cut for the super-rich, the federal payments to HWHs are being reduced and HWHs deemed under-utiliized will be closed to federal inmates. Already two small HWHs that served primarily federal inmates and were the only ones in their small communities have been shut down.

As early as Nov. 2014, prison case managers were being told to encourage inmates to opt out of HWH placements and seek direct-to-home-detention supervised by the POs or to max out instead. That was due to pressure on available beds from Obama policies toward reducing imprisonment of nonviolent offenders.

This is not so benevolent and is, rather, current DOJ management that increases incarceration while decreasing services to help inmates integrate successfully back into the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarlaRStevens For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-24-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Yeah, I wondered about that and I'm not taking any chances, so how do I delete this account?? When I click the "help" tab, the page can't be found???
Old 12-02-2017, 06:02 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Send your request in a private message to one of the PTO staff members whose user name is printed in red letters.