Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Default Incompetent PO

Do you ever feel like your PO is either setting you or your loved one up to fail or at the very least is not qualified to be in charge of the case?

My husband is on house arrest and has been since June. Hopefully he will be signing his plea soon but it'll be another six months likely before he goes away. I've been told by everyone here we are in the WORSE part of it all, the not knowing. He is restricted from the Internet. Well, he is but his paperwork literally says he can have whatever the PO says he can so she really holds the power. The problem is that she is not tech savvy what so ever. We had to explain to her that a Smart TV hooks up to the Internet (although she now denies that she didn't know that). She didn't know what a Roku devise was; She knew an Xbox hooks to the Internet but beyond that she doesn't know anything about gaming systems. Twice she has brought someone with her who apparently does know about Internet devices but he does not always come with her.

We obviously do not want to piss her off because she gives a recommendation for sentencing but she keeps changing things on us. First she told us our son's door had to remain locked at all times as he was being allowed to keep his Xbox and other things. Then she said he didn't have to have it locked all the time. It was then that she said the door didn't even have to be closed when he was home and that my husband could literally watch him play a game as long as he did not physically access the system himself. With that theory in mind I asked her recently about using the Roku that I could simply disconnect from the television as long as he didn't literally have control over it. I had to bring it out of the locked room to show her and explain it because she had no idea what it was. She said no, which is absolutely fine and I have no issue with. I commented that was fine but thought I would ask since I didn't see a difference in that than what she had stated about my son's devices and hubby being able to watch. She turned around and stated "I didn't say that." I stopped myself from arguing with her because again I don't want to piss her off but I feel like she has no idea what she's doing and while he is trying to comply with things she keeps changing the rules.

I understand there are a lot of cases within the courts now about blanket Internet bans and things change so often, but I feel as if they could at least give us someone who understood things. He could get on my computer and be on it all he wanted if we paid $20 additional a month for a tracker, but he cannot get on a Roku that has no browser options or complete Internet access because they have no way to monitor it.

Has anyone else come across this issue and what do you do??
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2018, 05:36 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,493 Times in 11,920 Posts

Some POs are nastier than others, and it can definitely influence the outcome of your case, both pre and post prison.

It's difficult, but I found that agreeing with everything they say, no matter how bizarre that may be, is the only way to avoid, or at least minimize problems. Once probation/parole is completely finished will be a wonderful day.