Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Been there...did that

To: Cindy lu
The risk to your house if it is soley in your name is pretty much zero. You are not responsible for his debts and especially if he acquired them BEFORE your marriage.
Those debts remain only with him. Double check with a lawyer tho if you are a community property state. I do not know much about how it would affect you if NV is one.

To Kathy:
The differences in state and federal can be alot and I know nothing about state charges in WV. I would hazard a guess that if a bank is involved it would be federal, just guessing here though
As far as the difference between restitution and a judgement...you cannot file bankruptcy on court ordered-restitution and you can on a judgement. You will probably also have a judgement filed against your property for the restitution amount to protect themselves further.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 PM

JFT, thanks! This gives me a heads up, since yes, Nevada IS a community property state.
Any idea where I can find the information on community property laws there? I haven't moved there yet so am not familiar w/ their laws.
Also, should I contact the parole board w/ my question on whether or not the restitution ends w/ the sentence expiring?
Again, thanks for all the help!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:42 PM

Hi guys, I was just looking around PTO and was actually thinking about the resitution that was imposed on me $800K...I too don't think I'll ever be able to pay it back. But my question is, will I ever to be able to buy a home in my name again if the $ isn't fully paid back???? And your right I really shouldn't be thinking about this now as I haven't even surrendered yet, 1/14/05, FCC Coleman Women. But I can't help put wonder...And can it be discharged off at any point after or during my probation. Any info will be helpful. Thanks

Frani
Old 05-29-2005, 06:46 PM

Question release of financial information?

I have a question. I was sentenced and ordered to pay restitution. I just received a letter in the mail from FLU (financial litigation unit) asking me to fill out all the paperwork as to my income (I am currently unemployed) and they also want me to sign a release that will allow them to get any financial information they want. Now, my question is do I have to fill out these papers in their entirety? I mean, must I sign a release for them to be able to gain access to all financial information about me? I know that they are the federal government and can basically obtain what they wish, but what might the reprocussions (sp?) be if I choose to leave out the signed release of financial information.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered

My wife and I where not married when her crime was commited. She owns nothing and anything we have was (and is still) in my name prior to the marriage. She is currently serving 30 months. During the whole process I was never been contacted by the feds. My wifes attorney told her to exclude any assetes that I have as they were mine prior to her offense and cannot be touched. Any truth to this and will the same hold true after her release?

"You have to go through the rain to get to the rainbow"
Old 05-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Been there...did that

Any information that they want regarding YOU, must be filled out in it's entirety, anything else could be construed as trying to hide assets. TXRhino is correct as far as assets that belong to him.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Account Closed

Before providing and information regarding assets or income of a spouse - consult a lawyer experienced in this area (there are a few).
Old 06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Been there...did that

I was told by both a lawyer and hubby's p.o. that i was in no way obligated to give my income to anyone. We did list all assets as hubby had a right to use them (vehicles, the house and such) and I felt it was fair to list them. But...my income is MY income it is mine all mine and NOBODY gets that information except the IRS.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft
moving up
Hi JFt,
My restitution payments are a bit away. Do I have to disclose my wife's income/assetts? She had nothing to do with my crime. Also, I plan on filing seperate taxes.

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Been there...did that

We did disclose assets, but NOT my income. she is NOT required however to disclose those either. If there were any asset changes between you and her though, it could be considered hiding them. But assets that were always hers and hers only do not need to be disclosed.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft
We did disclose assets, but NOT my income. she is NOT required however to disclose those either. If there were any asset changes between you and her though, it could be considered hiding them. But assets that were always hers and hers only do not need to be disclosed.
I thought you have to disclose income?

Mike
Old 11-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Been there...did that

His income had to be disclosed...since I have nothing to do with the crime..I disclosed nothing about my income...
Old 11-23-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft
His income had to be disclosed...since I have nothing to do with the crime..I disclosed nothing about my income...
Thanks,
Did you disclose assets held in your name?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-23-2005, 09:18 PM

Interesting topic. I had $187,000 restitution and paid $145,000 before sentencing ( I think they were ecstatic to get it and I was later sick that I had paid it)! I paid $75.00 a month while I was in through FRP and was released in early Sept - no supervised release. Since then I have TRIED to contact the district of my conviction to set up payments and they said they had no record of my restitution - WHAT???? And would contact me if they needed to. What the hell? Our tax dollars at work and our govt at its finest. I know I still owe $40,000 something - how is that they do not know this? From my experience, a kindergarten class led by my golden retriever, Scooter, could run the DOJ more effectively. Just my .02
Old 11-25-2005, 07:54 PM

In a way that is good thing. Yet I know how you might feel, wondering when they will figure this out. Payng off restitution was the best feeling I had. Wishing they had forgot about it was another.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:02 AM

Until they find the record again and determine that the didn't find any payments against it! I've watched as mine has not gone down by the amount I've paid into it and then they tell me I have no rights to ask them about it as a felon.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Been there...did that

Assets that I disclosed were thinks such as our house, vehicles, personal savings acct. anything that hubby could have touched and such, yes, I did disclose more for my piece of mind that they knew that Hubby was not hiding anything in any account of mine. Things like my company 401K ...no. My income, my 401K he could never have touched anyway, and they are soley mine.

To drummer, I have had no problem with the FLU in MN at all. They have always answered my and hubby's questions with no problem. The monthly statement that we get shows the amount that he has paid in and it drops by that amount every month.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:21 PM

My understanding was that any "income"...that the person owing federal restitution enjoys or benefits from, needs to be disclosed in the financials to the probation officer. Does it matter only if you are married in a community property state? We are in a community property state, where everything that comes in after marriage date is split evenly between both spouses.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 PM

Default wow

My friend owes 5 million restution he thinks he can make a settlement of like 200 thousand anybody heared of this? i GUESS HE CAN NEVER HAVE ANYTHING IN HIS NAME TRUE?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,339 Posts

no settlement, everything will have to stay in his wife's name.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM

My Man Owes 385,000.00 In Restitution, His Mom Planned On Leaving Him The House And Some Cash, Will They Take This? Or Will They Work Out A Payment Plan?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,339 Posts

I think he should consult a post-conviction lawyer about this, and she should work with an estate planner. Until the restitution is paid, i think the government will immediately put a lien on any inheritance.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
bvgir (06-28-2008)
Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post
For all of those facing restitution -

I know many of you are looking at large amounts of restitution that you are being ordered to pay and thinking -"I will never be able to pay this off in a hundred million years" You are right, you won't.

But the federal government knows that too, and they don't expect that it will all be paid back. They will though try to get as much of it for the victim as they can.

When you are released you will be asked to fill out a number of forms disclosing assets, income (including income from spouse and dependants living at home) etc.

You will be asked to fill them out for both the Federal Litigation Unit in your state and for your probation officer. Your restitution payment will be based on your answers here. It is important for you to be honest when filling out these forms as it is "under oath" and states that on the forms. There is no asset worth going back to prison for.

List all living expenses and leave nothing out, include a grocery/per month estimate, a clothing estimate, if a member of the family has ongoing medical expenses, include the deductible that you know you will be paying. These are real expenses and are not unreasonable, do not overinflate them to huge amounts that are not believeable..(allowing for a mink coat wouldn't fly..lol)
The FLU/Feds will consider all of these expenses but will deduct what they think are unnessary luxuries ie cable movie channels. If you have a lot of assets even if they are not in your own name (for instance if spouse has 6 cars in his/her name) they will not force him/her to necessarily sell them but they will be considered that they are available asssets that "could reasonably be sold to pay household expenses. This does not mean that you go out and put them in someone elses name...ILLEGAL under the circumstances.

When all is said and done what is left over is disposable income and from that comes your restitution payment.

As many of you have seen in my posts, I have chosen not to disclose my income and have not yet seen a reprecussion from it and do not think that I will. We did though list all assets. As far as garnishing from wages, they can garnish your states maximum amount and will IF YOU DO NOT PAY your required amount. They will give you that chance first though.

Just because on your judgement and commitment order there is an oredered amount "during time of probation or supervised release" does not release you from the liability when it is over. They just can't throw you back in prison anymore. They can and will try to collect. The FLU has the power to try to collect for 20 years and can renew for another 20 if they so choose.

You will no doubt have liens on your home even if it is in your spouses name, they will in the event of a sale take your share of the equity, your spouse has the right to his/hers.

In a nutshell, the government will allow you enough money to live, not extravagatnly, but you will not starve. Many will have to change their lifestyles somewhat, but you will survive this too. We have just gone through all of this and I am actually happy with the outcome, we are not vacationing and spending money all over the place, but we are comfortable and not suffering in any way.

Those that have not even surrendered yet, do not worry about this right now..it doesn't matter and it like everything else is one more hurdle that you will get through when the time comes. Enjoy your time with your families while you have it and know that at some point this will really all be overwith.
"This too will pass"

If you have any questions, let me know.
do you know why they would take my stimulus check and i just got out...my payments havent even started yet
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

What happens if you you simply do not pay? The minimum rest. payment has been set. Can you be reprosecuted for non-payment or misrepresentation about assets and income?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 PM

Question what if we GET married?

My boyfriend and I have been together for many years now, and he is in prison for the next 5 years. I am wondering what will hapen with the 300,000 dollars in restitution he is ordered to pay if we get marrried. I have a good paying job. Can they dock my pay? Will that make me responsible for his debts?
thanks!!
Aja