Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:21 PM

Default Transportation From BOP Prison to HWH

Hello-

Hoping someone can give me an answer to my question:

My brother will be released to the HWH soon and the idea was to pick him up. Unfortunately, his bus ticket had already been purchased so his case manager is telling him that if I want to pick him up, its no big deal. For him to get on the bus and get off within the first couple of stops and then he can hop in my vehicle. I'm not sure if this is correct... Is this somewhat a violation of rules that can cause him to go back to prison? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 PM

Officially your brother should not deviate from the plan. That could be a violation depending on how hard they want to push it if he gets caught.

In reality, you will probably be fine. I have never heard of anybody from the prison following an inmate who is transferring to a HWH to ensure they stuck to the travel plan. One risk you run into is if you have car problems. If you are going to be late, call the HWH and let them know.

It’s up to you. My wife picked me up (was approved) and we made a :45 minute stop and it was not an issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
787PRTX (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
Officially your brother should not deviate from the plan. That could be a violation depending on how hard they want to push it if he gets caught.

In reality, you will probably be fine. I have never heard of anybody from the prison following an inmate who is transferring to a HWH to ensure they stuck to the travel plan. One risk you run into is if you have car problems. If you are going to be late, call the HWH and let them know.

It’s up to you. My wife picked me up (was approved) and we made a :45 minute stop and it was not an issue.
Thanks for the prompt reply!! It's a 17 hr drive. Have you ever heard of a HWH asking for evidence of the trip? Say bus tickets that are stamped at each stop? To be honest I've never taken a Greyhound bus or similar so I'm not sure if that even happens.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:04 AM

Generally, his case mgr will allow absolute minimum travel time (assumes there's no traffic, and no gas/rest stops) if you're driving with friends/family, but somewhat more time if you're taking the bus. So some people simply have their ride meet them at the bus terminal.

Yes, there's always a risk that something unexpected will happen, and you'll get caught, but no, if the case mgr signed off on his HWH, it's not so they can trip you up. And if he does get caught, the worst thing they can do is take away his HWH time. I don't think they can call it an escape.

They will give you the HWH phone number to call, if you're going to be late. Use it. I mean, the bus has to take the same roads you take.

Last edited by 99mtg00; 08-14-2018 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Old 08-14-2018, 06:03 AM

If he boards the bus, you’ll likely be fine. One advantage of the bus transportation is it will give you much more time for the trip, because his travel time will be based on the bus schedule. A few people at my BOP facility were returned to prison if the bus schedule was delayed for weather, etc. but no one was ever returned for leaving the bus in route. Just be sure to make it to the halfway house on time, and even better, a little early.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:33 AM

Thanked 1,235 Times in 628 Posts

My husband is going to be released in January from Federal Prison to the HWH and he is flying on his way there. Another inmate recently just went through the exact same procedure with his wife and this is what occurred with them. The wife was NOT allowed to pick him up anywhere along the way without proper authorization because it is considered a furlough, as he is still under BOP custody. In our case, this is one reason why I'm not driving to pick him up, because while he's under their custody in this manner, he is not allowed to drive and no way am I driving back here 9 hours.

Basically, I will be flying into Duluth, they will not allow me to pick him up at the facility. They will drop him off or put him in a taxi to the airport where I will meet him. Even in that scenario, I have to fill out a new visitation form and be approved. Every step of the way from the minute he leaves the prison to arriving at the HWH has to be approved. They do not want you to deviate from it. The other inmate who just left 2 weeks ago had to follow this exact same plan. So even though he was flying home, his wife had to go through this entire process as well.

I would not accept the Case Manager's word that it is "ok" that you pick him up along the way. I would make sure it is documented somewhere in writing, because if he is supposed to be on the bus the entire way, and he deviates from it and they find out, then yes, he can go back to prison, or another prison, or can have problems at the HWH. It's just not worth it.

With this guy that just got there, he doesn't even have any supervised release time, he was approved for direct HC after the HWH orientation which has ended, and now they're telling him they changed their mind and he isn't approved. Fortunately, he only has a month total and the Chicago HWH thankfully isn't awful. He also has his own company and was planning to go right back to work when finished with orientation, well, you would think the HWH would at least want to get their 25% (which I've now also learned is capped at around $100/day). Well, since his company was fined as well when he was sentenced, the BOP won't even approve him going back to work!! So stupid. Either way in about 3 weeks now he is going back to that same company, and they know that and there's nothing they can do to prevent it since he has no SR time, so why are they jumping through these hoops to prevent it. So dumb. So instead he is just going to sit there doing nothing, they aren't going to make any money, and he's going to start scheduling his Dr. appointments since they will apparently approve those.

This is what they call integrating someone back to society? Terrible.

Just be careful, you obviously can't trust anyone's word and you don't want him to get in trouble for deviating from the bus route. Get it in writing, and get your name on the approved list for the "furlough" to take him to the HWH from one of the stops.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Fallen1700 (08-15-2018), Minor activist (08-14-2018), xolady (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,496 Times in 11,921 Posts

There is always a chance that something could happen that would get him added to some police database or other. Accident, traffic stop where he would be asked to provide ID, etc. Then either the HWH or someone in the bop would have another way to show their authority by punishing him for violating his furlough rules. Why take an unnecessary risk?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 AM

Thanked 5,959 Times in 3,104 Posts

DON'T DO IT!!! Bad idea any thing can happen and often will!! Then he's facing even more charges and so might you!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
bellisq (08-30-2018), Fallen1700 (08-15-2018), fbopnomore (08-14-2018), safran (08-14-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:50 PM

I read about doing this myself. I have a friend being released from NJ to MD and its not worth it. In the Fed system, there are a BUNCH of rules. You need to submit car information, insurance info and such before hand. As previously mentioned he is still in BOP custody while doing the transfer. Not worth the risks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen1700 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-16-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 10:38 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,339 Posts

They sometimes check on people on public transportation. The Case Manager is lazy. If your LO should only follow the plan that is written out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-30-2018), xolady (08-30-2018)