Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Default Federal probation violation: How do I calculate time / release date?

Hi All-

This is all very new to me. I fell in love with someone that made a mistake in his past and just got sent to camp on Friday for Probation Violation. Never did I think I would fall in love with someone with this kind of past nor did I think that I would take this so hard. I've always been able to detach from emotions being a strong independent woman but this weekend was extremely hard.

He told me that he is going in for 8 months but will come out in 5. How is this calculated? I know this is just a very few months but to me it seems like a lifetime. Is there a possibility that he CAN even come out sooner ? House arrest? Sorry if my questions seem ignorant- like I said I don't know how this stuff works. He went in for a non violent white collar crime.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofjetlags View Post
Hi All-

This is all very new to me. I fell in love with someone that made a mistake in his past and just got sent to camp on Friday for Probation Violation. Never did I think I would fall in love with someone with this kind of past nor did I think that I would take this so hard. I've always been able to detach from emotions being a strong independent woman but this weekend was extremely hard.

He told me that he is going in for 8 months but will come out in 5. How is this calculated? I know this is just a very few months but to me it seems like a lifetime. Is there a possibility that he CAN even come out sooner ? House arrest? Sorry if my questions seem ignorant- like I said I don't know how this stuff works. He went in for a non violent white collar crime.
Not sure if your LO is in Arizona State DOC or Feds. If ADOC they typically serve 85% of sentence. You can go on the ADOC site and do an inmate search and it will show the release date.

https://corrections.az.gov/public-re...ate-datasearch

Look in the section that says sentence information and look for the column that shows release date.

If it is Feds he will not be listed on the ADOC site.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uRmylife For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-29-2018), patchouli (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,223 Times in 15,241 Posts

"White Collar Crime" is often Federal charges, but could be state. If Federal, its still 85%.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 PM

I checked that already.. release date says "unknown" which it has always said that even before he went in.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
"White Collar Crime" is often Federal charges, but could be state. If Federal, its still 85%.
he's in federal
Old 10-29-2018, 05:24 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,223 Times in 15,241 Posts

Quote:
he's in federal
I've moved your thread to the Federal forum....this is where you'll find Federal specific information

Enjoy your evening & Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-29-2018), uRmylife (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,509 Times in 11,930 Posts

Here's what the US Sentencing Guidelines say about supervised release violations.
https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/f.../Chapter_7.pdf

For regular prison sentences of one year or less, no good time is earned. The 85% is for sentences of longer than one year. He may be eligible to serve the end of his sentence in a half way house or on home confinement, but most times they spend every day in prison. He can find out from his unit team.

You may be able to find out his actual sentence for the violation on "Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER)".
https://www.pacer.gov/
Old 10-29-2018, 09:45 PM

Thanked 1,242 Times in 629 Posts

His date of release will show up eventually, it sometimes takes a few weeks. I don't know about federal probation violations, but if it's a regular federal sentence, then if it's less than a year, they have to serve the entire sentence, so he wouldn't be getting out earlier than the 8 months.

There is something that just showed up at a camp where my husband is for a probation violation and he has to serve the entire sentence, and is not getting out early. But he got like 2 years or something like that if I recall correctly.

Someone here might know better, but I thought if you violate probation, the gist is that you have to serve the remainder of your sentence back in prison? Maybe I'm wrong on that.

But back to your original question, just keep looking on the inmate locator every day and it'll show up. I think my husband's showed up within a couple of weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:04 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Since almost all federal sentences do not allow for an earlier release, like happens with parole, the entire sentence (minus earned good time) has already been completed when supervised release (probation) begins. That means there is nothing "left" to serve from the original prison sentence. SR violations earn a completely new prison sentence from the judge, often followed by even more SR.

Some people have asked the judge to sentence them to enough prison time so that it won't be followed by a return to supervised release, but that is up to the judge too. SR violation sentences are addressed in the federal sentencing guidelines.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Since almost all federal sentences do not allow for an earlier release, like happens with parole, the entire sentence (minus earned good time) has already been completed when supervised release (probation) begins. That means there is nothing "left" to serve from the original prison sentence. SR violations earn a completely new prison sentence from the judge, often followed by even more SR.

Some people have asked the judge to sentence them to enough prison time so that it won't be followed by a return to supervised release, but that is up to the judge too. SR violation sentences are addressed in the federal sentencing guidelines.
thank you. what does SR stand for?
Old 10-30-2018, 05:51 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Supervised release, aka federal probation.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:46 AM

Default BOP Release Date

Hello All- New member.

Can someone explain the BOP release date to me please?

My LO's date just updated from unknown to 2020. He went in last week for probation violation.

He told me he got 8 months will be out in 5. The site states obviously differently. Does that include probation? HWH/home confinement? Or 2020 will be the date he gets to walk out of prison?

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,641 Posts

Hi there - I merged your two threads as your latest post is essentially a continuation to the thread you already have

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Two possibilities, he's lying, or the bop sentence computation unit made a mistake. If so, he can file an inmate grievance to get his release date corrected.

The date shown on the inmate locator is his total sentence minus the maximum amount of regular good time he can earn. It doesn't include any half way house time since he will still be in bop custody there, His release date will be the day that his new supervised release/probation sentence will start. Good time is awarded at 47 days for each year of a sentence, which works out to be approximately 85% of the actual sentence.

To find the actual sentence he received for his current supervised release violation, open an account and then search for his name on Pacer, public assess to court electronic records, for all federal cases.
https://www.pacer.gov/findcase.html

The judgment & commitment order will show both his new prison sentence, plus any additional supervised release time afterwards.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Two possibilities, he's lying, or the bop sentence computation unit made a mistake. If so, he can file an inmate grievance to get his release date corrected.

The date shown on the inmate locator is his total sentence minus the maximum amount of regular good time he can earn. It doesn't include any half way house time since he will still be in bop custody there, His release date will be the day that his new supervised release/probation sentence will start. Good time is awarded at 47 days for each year of a sentence, which works out to be approximately 85% of the actual sentence.

To find the actual sentence he received for his current supervised release violation, open an account and then search for his name on Pacer, public assess to court electronic records, for all federal cases

The judgment & commitment order will show both his new prison sentence, plus any additional supervised release time afterwards.

Thank you for the detailed info. I checked pacer this morning and there is nothing Except the original judgment from 2017
The Following User Says Thank You to Queenofjetlags For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:40 PM

It's probably not a mistake. There is someone with my husband in for a probation violation and it showed up in pacer eventually, so keep looking, or see if it's under another case number and perhaps not just a violation as he's telling you. 2020 vs 8 months vs 5 is a BIG difference.

In another situation, my husband told me a guy just showed up there due to a probation violation and got 13 days! So everyone's situation is different.
fbopnomore (11-04-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 06:58 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,685 Times in 14,448 Posts

Sorry Queen......I moved the post again to the federal forums. (a glitch happened when the two threads got merged)

Here is to hoping it gets sorted out (his outdate)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM

I found the document i needed. I’ve been lied to for the last 4 months. Thanks for all your help. Now i can move forward with my life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queenofjetlags For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-05-2018), sidewalker (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I found the document i needed. Ive been lied to for the last 4 months. Thanks for all your help. Now i can move forward with my life.
So sorry you had to go through all of that.

I can't imagine what or how you must be feeling to find out the truth, as it can't be hard under any circumstance to find out the person you thought he was, he isn't. On the flip side, at least you were proactive in finding out whatever you could instead of just sitting there getting sucked into more lies for the next year plus as often happens.

Good luck!
fbopnomore (11-07-2018)