Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 07:11 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Default MI Parole Board Information--UPDATED 11/12/2013

The Parole Board's Information:

address:

Michigan Parole Board
206 East Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48909

Phone number: 517-335-1352

Fax number: 517-335-0039

The executive secretary (who usually answers the phone) is Pam Oliver and she's very nice and helpful....

Deb

September 10th 2009
The Following User Says Thank You to deb For This Useful Post:
Hopeforprisoner (05-06-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Satisfied

Default Michigan Parole Board Members

If you have other info or know where we can find more info, please PM any MI Staff member. Thank you!

Parole Board Members

Chairman John S. Rubitschun

A lawyer and former probation and parole agent who joined Corrections in 1975. Law degree from Cooley Law School; master's degree in criminal justice from Michigan State University.

Miguel A. Berrios

Former Corrections manager, Grand Rapids police officer and federal parole officer. Master's degree in public administration from Western Michigan University; bachelor's degrees in business administration and psychology.

Charles E. Braddock
Former president of a nonprofit group and former Saginaw homicide detective. Bachelor's degree in criminal justice from Saginaw Valley State University.

Marianne E. Samper
Former law firm partner, assistant law professor and hearing officer for the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Bachelor's degree in social science from Michigan State University. Law degree from Cooley Law School.

James E. Atterberry
Pastor and district superintendent of Brotherhood Church of God in Christ in Benton Harbor overseeing five churches. He also works as the Berrien County Deputy Chaplain and is a Berrien County Commissioner. Pastor of the Brotherhood of All Nations Church of God in Christ, President of the Southwest Michigan Ministerial Alliance, and Berrien County Commissioner; Named to Benton Harbor Task force by Granholm;

James J. Quinlan
Serves as the assistant deputy warden and work camp supervisor at MDOC’s Camp Kitwen in Painesdale. The 26-year corrections professional also has experience as a parole/probation agent and has worked as a substance abuse counselor. He holds a B.S. degree from Michigan Technological University.

Barbara S. Sampson
Director of the Wayne County Department of Children and Family Services. She has been a Wayne State University, Criminal Justice Department instructor and worked as a corrections officer for MDOC. Sampson has a B.A. from Wayne State University and M.A. from the University of Detroit.

Artina Tinsley Hardman
Served her third term in the Michigan House of Representatives representing the Third House District. Rep. Tinsley Hardman has served as chairwoman of the Michigan Legislative Black Caucus for the past three terms.

Enid Livingston
An attorney in private practice. She specializes in writing appellate briefs and trial briefs and appearing for argument before the Michigan appellate courts as well as various Circuit Courts.

Stephen H. DeBoer
Barry County Sheriff. Before serving as Sheriff, DeBoer was a First Lieutenant in command of a Michigan State Police Post.

Last edited by mlynnm; 09-06-2006 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Updating
Old 06-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Satisfied

Photo from the MDOC's website that shows two of the members of the Board.

Parole board unit staff from left: Front row: Char Prochazka, technician; Phyllis Lewis, analyst; Tara Keener, student; Amy Moore, analyst; James Attaberry, parole board member; Barbara Sampson, parole board member; Back row: Larry Schneider, analyst; Pam Oliver, executive secretary; Lindsay Simmar, secretary; Mike Glynn, manager; Dave Kleinhardt, manager
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parole_board_5_81904_7.jpg (34.1 KB, 255 views)
Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 PM

Good Job! Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Dedicated Love

Hey, Maybe I could hire Ms Livingston to help with the info I got from State Police. I'd better not let Mr. DeBoer know though. I didn't realize they all have other full time jobs. I would think they would tend to rush through the paperwork and decision.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Dedicated Love

My husbands PER has incorrect information and was written by a member with the initials SMB. That was a few months ago or less and there is no one here with those initials. Who could it be? I need to contact them and his hearing is next Wednesday.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Satisfied

I would suggest writing to David Kleinhardt. He can direct it properly. And I have dealt with him a couple of times now on different things and he has been very helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck!
Jenn
Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquarianEssence
My husbands PER has incorrect information and was written by a member with the initials SMB. That was a few months ago or less and there is no one here with those initials. Who could it be? I need to contact them and his hearing is next Wednesday.
So the Parole Board does PER? I thought the counselor did? So wouldn't the counselor or his/her supervisor be able to make corrections? Did you try calling the counselor because they will speak to you; if you don't get anywhere with counselor call the supervisor!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhane
So the Parole Board does PER? I thought the counselor did? So wouldn't the counselor or his/her supervisor be able to make corrections? Did you try calling the counselor because they will speak to you; if you don't get anywhere with counselor call the supervisor!
I agree Zhane, I think their counselors write the PER's. I don't think the parole board sees the PER prior to the hearing, unless it's one of those instances where they review it and grant parole through the mail. I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time ). I would also try the counselor first for any mistakes etc.

Jenny
Old 06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Dedicated Love

Default Sorry girls, I mispoke

I meant to say Parole Guidelines Scoresheet. I spoke to his councelor. He referred to that unit (A I think) as the Hotel Unit. What's with that? He said the PER mistakes, classes missing etc, Tim will have to bring up at the Hearing. The Scorsheet issues he said we need to write the parole board and put attn: Parole Guidelines Scorsheet. I sent a letter out today hoping the right person will get it before the 6th. My biggest concern was giving him 1 point for his prior CSC felony and then they gave him another point for assaultive felony. There was only one and it was never called assaultive, injury etc. The councelor wondered if it was because the paperwork makes it look like two counts, 3rd and 2nd. They originally put that down but only went with 2nd and it was only one incident.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Marlon and Yati

No I think you are right the board only sees PERS if there is a yes or a no through the mail otherwards the counselors do them.

Mr. Marlon D. & Mrs. Yati E. McDonald
Married January 13, 1999

MEMBER OF :

Waiting However Long It Takes Member #13
Faithful visitng club Member # 13
Fabulous and Thick Club Member #34
Old 10-23-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Parole Member

Is there anyway to write to the Parole members before Parole, if so how long before. My finacee's parole date in June 2009, would it be a waste of time to start now??
Old 10-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Sorry, but yes.. Between now and 2009 many things will change including classes and programs he will take, etc. The Parole Board won't even look at his paperwork until just before his first parole hearing.

mrsd
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBenji
I would suggest writing to David Kleinhardt. He can direct it properly. And I have dealt with him a couple of times now on different things and he has been very helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck!
Jenn
Can you help me find the thread w/ the address for the MI Parole Baord member??

Old 11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Satisfied

Doh! I thought I posted earlier.

It goes to the main Lansing address, just to the attention of the Office of the Parole board. I'll get the specifics and add it in a bit.

Jenn
Old 11-04-2005, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBenji
Doh! I thought I posted earlier.

It goes to the main Lansing address, just to the attention of the Office of the Parole board. I'll get the specifics and add it in a bit.

Jenn
Ok thank you :0

Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Satisfied

Here ya go Queen.

Michigan Department of Corrections
Office of the Parole Board
206 E. Michigan Ave.
Grandview Plaza
PO Box 30003
Lansing, MI 48909

Hope that helps!
Jenn
Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Wink If it helps...

Hello all!!!

If it helps when I had to see the Parole board I saw Ms.Sampson and here is a few things I know she looks at when deciding to grant parole...

She likes to know that the Prisoner will have family support she is really family based.

She likes to know that you have a relaspe pervention plan in place and are reading to work that plan if you have a drug history.

She likes you to shoot striaght with her so to speak.

She wants to know that you are sorry for what you did past and present.

She is very willing to give most another chance.

well that is all that is popping in my mind now if anybody wants to know what my parole interveiw was like I would be happy to tell you all so you have a better Idea..

OXOXOX,

Shawnie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onceuloveme For This Useful Post:
4 eva n a day (11-25-2011), Rockstarsmom (07-29-2017)
Old 07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Nurse/Paralegal....PTO RA

The ARUS or ARUM completes the PER about 4 months before their parole hearing. Mistakes on the report need to be addressed with them. Some mistakes have to be handled with others but the ARUS should be able to tell you where.

The Parole Guideline Scoresheet is filled out by the Parole Board. I believe it is done before the hearing and given to the inmate, but I don't know for sure.

We have to see parole hearings as a full time job. Work hard and early on getting everything in order.

I've been told that the Parole Board will NOT accept anything via mail from inmates friends or family. This option is only for the "victims". You need to bring a copy of your letter to the hearing if you are the representative he has chosen.
Faithfully waiting member #87
LASO

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
~ Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Closed

I need help and support on this. My husband is going to see the board between Jan-July 07 I called David Kleinhardt yesterday and the man took one look at my husbands past history and left nothing good said! I find it hard to except. I know Kleinhardt is the board manager but thats all I know of him. What if any does he have to do with the desisions? Does anyone have the list of 10 board members? All I know is we are working very hard to get a parole and there is nothing left for us to do to prove to the board that my husband is not a threat to anyone. Any information or ideas will be greatly welcomed.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Nurse/Paralegal....PTO RA

Here's a link to Michigan's website information about the parole process. Basically, unless he's a lifer, his parole is voted on by a 3 member panel. So the manager MAY NOT have much to do with it.

http://www.michigan.gov/corrections/...2909--,00.html

PTO has a list of Parole Board Members with a statement about each one... but naturally I can't find it right now. I'm sure the moderator will come along soon and show you where it's at.
Faithfully waiting member #87
LASO

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
~ Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

The Board will accept letters from inmates and family and friends. When my guy went in front of the Board recently we all sent letters and received a confirmation postcard back that the letters had been received. My guy even wrote his own letter which was very good in my opinion. When we saw the Board they were flipping through his chart and referenced the letters that were in there. We didn't send the letters to individual members if that is what you meant. We sent the letters to Lansing C/O the Parole Board. I don't think I would send the letters to the members because I would be afraid that they wouldn't end up in the file. Just my opinion I guess!

Last edited by Lions Heart; 07-18-2006 at 12:42 PM..
Old 07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Satisfied

Kleinhardt doesn't have anything to do with your husband's case specifically. He has no vote and does no input toward the votes. He's the manager for the board. Plain and simple.

He tends to be very factual and blunt, just generally speaking. He doesn't mince words. He tells you exactly what's wrong and what will be examined by the board. More than likely, he was preparing you for a negative reaction by the board. I've spoken to him several times and that seems to be his tendency. He's impartial and just like him, the board doesn't usually give a flip about positive things if they can find negative to focus on.

Lee is right. There's a thread somewhere about the board members with a photo or two of a few and little blips about them. You might just search using the name of one of them and flip through the threads you find. He's also right that only three members will review each interview and they interview will only be with one of the members.

Sending letters... just address them to the Office of the Parole board and include his name and number and the date of the hearing. AND... make sure to send him copies as well. Just because that way, both sides are covered. All the letters we had sent to the board made it, but he had the opportunity to give the copies at his hearing as well.

Jenn
Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Closed

Thank you all for your help. I have already been to a parole board review with my husband. When they flopped him they said, Continue to show positive behavior. Well he has went from a level 4 to a 1 in less than a year. He has stayed ticket free. He cant work because of the waiting list. Same with class's. So he sticks to himself and waits a transfer to Ionia. I was an Officer for 8 years and he has 15 years in prison. We are asking questions and talking to people to prepare ourselves and to have a strong plan when we see the board the next time. Klienhardt was called to see if a review date had been set yet. I didn't ask him questions he went right into my husbands file. It wasnt a bad conversation I just wanted to know his roll. I want to know who the 10 members are so I can prepare myself before I talk to one face to face. There are 6 new members. Thank you all again.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM
His forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeS269
The ARUS or ARUM completes the PER about 4 months before their parole hearing. Mistakes on the report need to be addressed with them. Some mistakes have to be handled with others but the ARUS should be able to tell you where.

The Parole Guideline Scoresheet is filled out by the Parole Board. I believe it is done before the hearing and given to the inmate, but I don't know for sure.

We have to see parole hearings as a full time job. Work hard and early on getting everything in order.

I've been told that the Parole Board will NOT accept anything via mail from inmates friends or family. This option is only for the "victims". You need to bring a copy of your letter to the hearing if you are the representative he has chosen.
I just read this and I wanted tosay that if I'm reading correctly you maybe mis informed. I sent a letter of support to the board and so did 7 of his friends and 9 of his family members. We all received a postcard stating that the board had received it and they would put it in his file. I don't suggest sending anything more then a month before the hearing. A employer had also sent a letter stating he had a job waiting upon release and they too received a postcard. Also the local college sent a letter stating that he may return to that college and they will still give him credit for the 3 years he had already been in school and I know that was in his file cause they mentioned it in the parole hearing. As far as score sheets go, they are done by interns and if there are any mistakes the inmate has to address it with his counsler who then forwards back to the board and then a corrected one is sent back to the inmate if they felt that any corrections needed to be made. All this is about 1 month prior to his hearing, at least thats what it was for my hubby.
Closed Thread