Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) - Chowchilla
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) - Chowchilla Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Central California Women's Facility located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM
FireFightingPrincess

Default I did 2 1/2 years at CCWF, how can I help you?

I did 2 1/2 years in CCWF. I was on the C yard. I know many of the lifers and know the get down there pretty much with the whole tobacco problems. I know MANY of the CO's and how they get you in the mix. I can tell you about SAP or whatever else you need to know. I have peoples that will be there the rest of thier life so if anyone is facing sentencing to go... let me know. I can have my peoples waiting for you when you get over the wall. To help you out with whatever you need.
thanks Ladies
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fireprincess For This Useful Post:
Dandylion (02-16-2009), jet1985 (02-22-2009), tanyat702 (02-16-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
FireFightingPrincess

Default ccwf 510 is a building on C yard and its a serious unit.

lot of lifers in 510 and its a building where your placed when you first come over the wall. They are not too friendly in 510 cuz they are tired of the new chicks that are only there for a week before they are placed in the perm~ unit or cell. The cells are 8 man (woman) cells. You better know how to respect an inmate before getting placed in 510 . they dont play.

Last edited by Wolf; 02-14-2009 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: Asking personal information.
The Following User Says Thank You to fireprincess For This Useful Post:
tanyat702 (03-02-2009)
Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Thanks

My mother is in CCWF and says she is supposed to be release in March. This sounds strange to me because she only went in just b4 Xmas. I thought if you only did a few months you would be in county jail or something? Could she be lying? Let me know. Thanks.

Tanya
Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 PM

Hi fireprincess,
Thanks for offering your insight! I would love to know anything you want to share - heh - that was vague! I guess I'm eager to learn. My friend who's there has about the same sentence you had. Did you have a job or anything? What was a typical day like for you? What did you do to stave off boredom? (My friend says she's bored a lot.) Do you remember how long you were in receiving for? Was general population really better than receiving? (as in, does it get easier in gen pop?) What is SAP?
Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dandylion For This Useful Post:
tanyat702 (02-17-2009)
Old 02-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Default Same Questions

I have a friend that is probably still in Rec. Just want to know the day to day type of things.
Thanks very much
The Following User Says Thank You to MJVegas For This Useful Post:
tanyat702 (02-26-2009)
Old 02-22-2009, 12:52 AM

Default Yes, what is a typical day like?

Hello Fireprincess and thank you in advance for your willingness to impart some insight. I have a friend who is in CCWF and I am curious as well as to what her typical day might be like. I am not comfortable asking her this question myself at this time. I would greatly appreciate your insight! Are the inmates generally friendly towards one another? What time is wake-up call? What do they do in a typical day? Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to jet1985 For This Useful Post:
tanyat702 (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM

where the heck did fireprincess go?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
FireFightingPrincess

Hi everyone. Your friends will be on the receiving yard about 8 weeks then they'll see their CC1 that is when they tell you your release date and if your transpacking or not. meaning being moved to CIW or VSPW. VSPW is right across the street from CCWF and is identical. Once they see the CC1 its a matter of 1 - 2 days and they go over the wall. B yard = a medical yard C=yard is the best yard and has the drug program SAP which sucks. But, C yard is the best yard. D=yard. Just hope that your friends dont get sent to D yard. Usually they house the inmates that are in need of a max. security prison. Its not a good yard. They mess with you badly. Once over the wall they will get a temporary housing unit where they will stay about 2 weeks. Then they will get assighned to whatever their program is going to be. It could be school in the am or pm or it could be a job in the kitchen. or a porter in one of the units. there are 4 units on every yard and they house 1000 inmates total per yard. each yard has their own chow hall. the release you for chow by units and not in order. The CO's can be cool if you stay out of the mix. If your disrespectful they wont put up with you. When the alarms go off everyone has to hit the ground. They dont like it when you dont hit the ground. THey will hit your whole room if you get in trouble out on the yard. Now you have to give your whole room heads up if indeed the cops are coming to hit the room. THere are lifers there and everything they own can get taken away if the stuff is not on their property. this means the CO will take the property away and you cant get it back unless you have a receipt of being the receiver of this property. IF the lifers get their shit taken away cuz you acted up on the yard. be prepared to get your ass kicked good. When you get in trouble it effects the whole room. and there are some asshole CO's there that actually like to stir up shit for you in your room. After 2 weeks of going over the walll your by then in your assigned room where you will do your time until you leave. anything else I can help you with let me know. thank you and have a blessed day.
fireprincess
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fireprincess For This Useful Post:
azlightsout (05-10-2018), Dandylion (02-27-2009), jet1985 (02-27-2009), tanyat702 (02-27-2009), TerryLee (08-14-2010)
Old 02-28-2009, 01:57 PM

I was on "D" yard in a room with all "lifers" 3 of them were doing Life without Parole. I was "in transit" going to another institution. I was also the only white person in the room. 4 black, one native American and me. They resented me more for being white than for being a short timer. In fact one told them they sort of enjoyed having a few short timers come and go. It was like having a little bit of the outside. The key to survival was "mind your own business and see nothing" - what went on there was not my business, I was just passing through. Anything less than life is passing through.
Dandylion (04-01-2009), tanyat702 (03-02-2009), TerryLee (08-14-2010)
Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 PM

When I was there, in 2002, they were putting "in transits", like me, on D yard due to overcrowding. From what I could see of C yard, I was happy they did. I ended up being there for almost a month and there were several lock downs on C yard, for fights, etc. We had it pretty peaceful. Even out on the yard. It seemed the woman were just trying to hang on to whatever peace they had, keep their possessions, get a routine and live their lives. I was the only short timer in my room. I minded my own business and didn't get involved in their conversations unless invited. They gave me a little respect, but were happy to see me go. The women in my room were at about 8 or 9 years into life terms and were on Closed A or B custody.
Dandylion (03-02-2009), tanyat702 (03-02-2009)
Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 PM

when you get released from ccwf what time does the greyhound heading south leave?

or pretty much what time should i be waiting at the los angeles greyhound stop?
The Following User Says Thank You to TimmayWOOHOO For This Useful Post:
tanyat702 (03-03-2009)
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM

Hello All,
I served a 2 year sentence at CCWF and paroled in 2002.I was on B yard in unit 508 a SAP program. I remember having a pretty good time there,I know it sounds crazy but,I made the best out of a terrible situation. Every morning I was up at 5:30 way before my 7 other roommates,enjoing a bit of peace and quiet a, couple cups of coffee and a cig when you could still smoke. My room faced the main yard so each day I would see a beautiful sun rise out of my window.I was one of the lucky ones who had family visit and, send me my boxes.I met alot of VERY,VERY nice women who were also far away from real life...i stayed out of the mix and did my time,weekends were spent getting books from the library,hanging out on the yard in the HOT HOT weather.Busy with program during the week. I told myself that I would NEVER return I kept that promise I discharged parole on 8.30.05 with no violataions and have not been back!!! Sometimes I wish I could go back on the weekends just to visit but,have the freedom to leave,I do in a strange way miss it,don't ask me why because it was very scarey to be locked-up in a State Prison.Thank God I never saw any fights or horrible things.Chowchilla did change my life for the best!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to niceey For This Useful Post:
Dandylion (04-01-2009), TerryLee (08-14-2010), Walking tall (09-25-2012), Wolf (04-01-2009), WyreNut (03-31-2009)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

Congrats niceey on the way you handled your incarceration! Certainly sounded like you turned "lemons into lemonade"!

It's also great you've managed to avoid the "revolving door" and not violated parole! It's sure encouraging when I hear of success stories like yours.

I work in "A" yard, and the inmates on my crew just hang their heads on a daily basis when they see women return after mere weeks or months on the outside! They will chew out the ones they know, and the returnee always says the same thing, "I did something really stupid..."

I wish you the best of luck, and thanks for a great post!

WyreNut
Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Wow, niceey, what an uplifting story. Congrats to you on changing your life and really getting the best out of it. Way to go.

I have a friend in the SAP program. What was that like, if you don't mind me asking? I hope it keeps her busy enough to stay out of trouble...

Thanks for the good and happy post.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:57 PM
jennsnana

Smile Following directions

Hi-just wanted to ask if I'm following directions correctly.I've called Chowchilla looking for CDC# was told to call again in 7 days-meanwhile what is the difference in Valley? Where is receiving located? Should I start writing post cards when I receive CDC#? I hate being out of touch. Seems inhumane for family as well as inmate!
Thanks for all your advise, sure is helpful.

Last edited by jennsnana; 04-04-2009 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: too short a message
Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
♥Rebel with a Cause♥
Donation Award 

Welcome...Jennsnana....
I don't know the answers to your questions but someone will be here soon to answer them for you...

Have a Good Day!!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 PM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

jennsnana, another user posted the CCWF Mail FAQ (which I'm also holding in my hand) here for all to view at this link:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/att...9&d=1234307521

It will answer most of your mail-related questions.

As far as "where is receiving located?", can you clarify this question? Are you wanting to know which yard it is? ("A" Yard). The building? (501, 502, or usually at first 503.)

HTH,

WyreNut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WyreNut For This Useful Post:
mahkenna (04-04-2009), Wolf (04-04-2009)
Old 04-04-2009, 06:50 PM
London
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,240 Times in 396 Posts
Default Ccwf....

Hey Wyrenut, how have you been...still teaching the girls?

Jennsnana,

Wyrenut is correct, she is in receiving. Receiving takes a few days to process, so if she just caught the 'chain' to CCWF from county it can take up to 10 days to get her CDC#. During processing they will issue her a CDC#, then assign a counselor, do medical assessment, and get her assigned. This takes a few months, usually 3 months. Then she goes over the wall and is mainlined. She will be assigned a housing unit (yard and room). Once settled in she can ask for phone privlidge and the CO's will set her up. She can call you collect.

I sponsor several girls at CCWF and they have all come through receiving and are over the wall, except one who just arrived about a month ago.
Keep in mind, with the over crowding at CCWF, some inmates are being held temporarily only to be shipped to a different facility. One of my girls arrived the first of March, and they are telling her she may be shipped south to CIW Chino/Corona, Ca. They just cleared all 250 women out of the gym due to the Governor declaring that it was a security risk having so many inmates in one area. Now they have the girls bunked along the walls in the day rooms.

As for her mail, it does NOT matter where your loved one is, if you have her CDC#, write to her, it will eventually catch up. Her CDC# will never change even if she is released and ends up back in.

Do call back in about 7 days, I did this with all my girls and it seems to be the magic #. Make sure you have her name, birth date, and old county #. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't.

Good luck and I hope you hear something soon. God bless.....London

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.

Matt 25: 35-36
The Following User Says Thank You to mahkenna For This Useful Post:
Wolf (04-04-2009)
Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 AM

Default Can anyone shed some light for me?

I am new to PTO but not to CCWF. I am trying to learn more about the situation of a friend so I can help her. I have tried to help her by written her a couple times a week over the last year. She receives few letters from family or anyone else. She is there for embezzlement and never had any problems before this with the law and is embarrassed about being there. She will write a little about her cell but will never write about the facility or the workings of the prison. When I ask about living conditions, the yard, her unit and eating situation she dances around the subject like I am going to stop writing to her if she is honest. I have asked her to please allow me to go to see her and she says she does not want me to see her there. I am reading this thread and have seen people talk about the different buildings and understand much more about the facility and conditions than I do. Does anyone know anything about 515 and some general information about it, what yard is it associated or anything else that I can speak to her about intelligently? I am hoping that if I can write with a little more understanding so she will realize I don’t care about anything but helping her to get through this so she can come home. I know she does not want me to be concerned, but nothing will freak me out and I won’t stop writing as she seems to fear. Can anyone tell me a thing about her building and yard and anything else so I can help her? Thank you.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 PM
London
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,240 Times in 396 Posts

Hey CCWFer Friend, it's nice that you care so much to want to help. God bless you!! A lot of these girl's have families that have given up on them. I think you are right on the assumption that your friend does not want to disclose her past, and there are several reasons why.

I am not sure of your relationship details, but it is a unspoken rule, and shows respect if you do not ask the details of their crime. If you are interested in helping her, then the thing she will need most is friendship, acceptance, and that someone still believes in them. It is amazing what a little TLC can do.

I have been sponsoring inmates at CCWF for the last 2 years. All of my girls have come from county and I have had the honor of knowing them prior to their prison experience, most up to 4 years. There are those who have shared their entire story with me and some who have not. It does not matter what you know, and if truth be told, sometimes it's best not knowing. These girls only want to know someone cares and that they are not alone. A positive connection to the outside world is an important thing for these women. This connection can be life changing for them.

For most of these women, after many years served, there are a LOT of changes in their lives. Many have come to terms with their crime and punishment. They do not want to keep regurgitating it for everyone who comes along. Part of being in prison is to rehabilitate, and in doing that you are working on redemption and forgiveness. She is probably looking at the future and all the hope that can hold, instead of staying in the past. She needs you to be in the present, and looking at the future with her which will help her move forward. Coming home is a scary thing, and she will need a tremendous amount of support to prepare for her release, (not to mention when she is out)!

You mentioned 515...just for your knowledge, that is in D yard and 515 is the number of her building. Her experience at CCWF will depend on what SHE makes of it. Everything there is NOT bad. If you are respectful to others, stay away from other's drama, contraband, gangs, drugs, respect the CO's, follow the rules, and don't mouth off, you should do fairly well.

This year they are having a Christmas decorating contest on all the yards. The girls get art supplies and cardboard and have been creating all kinds of holiday decorations. The most popular decorations this year is a "Shrek" themed Christmas that was done by the women in one of the yards. All the women had a lot of fun and look forward to cooking and exchanging gifts Christmas day. I was there last weekend doing visits and it was nice to see all the girls so happy.

They also have other holiday celebrations, and sales like 'Costco" day where they can buy shampoos and soaps, candy, muffins, pizza, and other goodies. Again, I do not know how well you two know each other, but if she is a close friend maybe you can send her a birthday, Christmas or other gift of a few dollars for her inmate account. That way she can buy things when they have those special sales. If so, I would not do more than about 25.00 at a time.

Keep writing! Mail is a BIG thing to an inmate. Just stay positive and encourage her to use her time wisely (like school or a job). Two of my girls have received their GED's while at CCWF. One has just come home this year and is going to college to be a Drug and Alcohol Counselor, which was the very thing that put her behind bars! I encouraged her while in county to use her experience to make a difference....I am really proud of her!!!

God bless you for having such a wonderful heart. You are doing a good thing. Best of luck to you and your friend.

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.

Matt 25: 35-36
Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Default It has been Over A month 1/2 Since sending her the forms

Hi It has been over a month 1/2 since I sent my daughter our visiting forms? She hasnt mentioned getting them back or when we can visit? Can you tell me how long you waited? Also she is in CCWF but mentioned that they probably would be moving her across the street to VSP? Is that normally what happens after they are in for a short amount of time? She is serving 26-life > God Bless you & yours & Thanks Gellybean*
Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

I can not answer your question about the visiting, but about the transfering. Right now your daughter is in reception. The reason they might be moving her to VSPW is because that is where there is a bed available for her. My SIL is at VSPW right now.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 PM
VSP Free Staff
Donation Award 

It's rumored that CCWF may be evolving to a "Reception Center" only type of facility...

I've seen plans to cut half of B yard into an extension of A yard - adding a brick wall to cut it into two yards, and a hole knocked into the existing wall to A yard. The medical facility in A yard (703) is slated to be expanded.

All speculation at this point, but rumors state lifers may be transferred to VSPW when these plans begin to unfurl.

WyreNut
Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 AM

The rumors were flying among the visitors and inmates alike when I was there last weekend talking about closing CCWF as a mainline prison and using it for reception only. Again nobody will know until something actually occurs. The one thing I can see is if they were to do so, the size of VSPW would need to get a lot bigger. The total number of mainline inmates that would be moved from CCWF to VSPW is a lot larger than the space gained by removing those in reception from VSPW and moving them to CCWF. What ever might happen would take time to evolve even if they made the decision to do it today so expect no quick changes if they do occur. Regarding your visitation form, I submitted mine in late October and got it back Dec 24 denied. It took me another month to get my problem straight as I had a minor problem at 14 (30 + years ago) and had to submit a clarification before they approved me. They are blaming furloughs on many delays so expect that and a “be patient” if you inquire. You will get it eventually if you have nothing serious to prevent it. My experience as a visitor has been positive and the other visitors and staff were all helpful and I believe it is simple compared to many men’s facilities. There are not a lot of women there that get regular visitors and I think it helps them tremendously so please do not give up.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM

whats so bad about d yard?