Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Louisiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I will continue to wait!

Default Is there any 2012 New Good Time Laws?????

Is there a new 2012 law for Good Time credit, can ANYONE help or tell me anything about this? I heard there was but am not having any luck finding anything.. Thanks!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Yes!! There is a new law being proposed for the 2012 legislative session that begins march 12. It's supposed to increase educational good time from 90 to 180 days and other good time programs from 250 days to 500 days or 1/5 of the length of the sentence, whichever is LONGER.

It doesn't say if it is for any particular offenses as of yet, so I guess we can assume it's including everyone eligible for good time. Let's pray it passes!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcbrn For This Useful Post:
comptontiffany1 (03-31-2012), Patientwaiter (03-07-2012), Princess1029 (03-27-2012)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 PM

That wasn't very clear. The amount of days I wrote is how many one could possibly get by participating in good time programs. They will only get this time off if they complete enough programs to equate that amount of time. But it just increases the maximum amount of days off they can receive. Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to lcbrn For This Useful Post:
Patientwaiter (03-07-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbrn
Yes!! There is a new law being proposed for the 2012 legislative session that begins march 12. It's supposed to increase educational good time from 90 to 180 days and other good time programs from 250 days to 500 days or 1/5 of the length of the sentence, whichever is LONGER.

It doesn't say if it is for any particular offenses as of yet, so I guess we can assume it's including everyone eligible for good time. Let's pray it passes!
Which bill is this? Do you know it's number? Like HB/SB..?
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 PM

I didn't know it was going to be up to that many days! Hopefully it passes!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM
o.O

I believe what you are talking about maybe House Bill HB665

Not passed yet.

I'd post a link but I didn't do the minimum of 25 posts yet lol
Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 AM

this just made my day! (:
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdat...asp?did=778907

Yeah so this edits out the 250, to 500!!!! Oh my gosh... 500 maximum possible GT days! That'd be amazing!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM

Also, I am friends with a few state troopers & I was asking about this bill the other day and I was told that this is one of the bills that the Governor has picked up as part of his 'DOC reforms' which gives me a TON of comfort if Jindal is pushing this through!!!! I used to work for the Gov so I know that that office KNOWS how to get things done! This would be awesome!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM

What is the current good time law? Boyfriend got arrest Feb21,2012 still in jail awaiting his trail on May 14th, he is a 4th offense dwi. What is good time for him?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure that since he would be considered a habitual offender, that there is no good time allowed.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM

If House Bill #665 passes this Legislative Session, will offenders currently housed at work release facilities be eligible for the new good time credits? And by any chance do you think this bill will become retroactive to give an inmate additional credit for their completion of participation in Faith Based Programs, Substance Abuse Treatment – Living in Balance?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM

Did this law pass? Also, do good time laws only apply to certain facilities and not others? Or is it about the type of crime committed rather than the facility they are in?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,270 Times in 7,143 Posts

The law did not pass. It was put on the side in committee.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:17 AM

I am a bit confused about this hb/law regarding the additional good time for completing certain programs. I have thought for a while now that he's been talking about hb665. After searching and looking to find something good about this after the June 4 deadline. I haven't found anything. I've also seen post on here about it not passing. Is there something else that did pass? Reason why I am asking is bc the program that he's in at forcht wade which he hasn't completed yet will be moved to bossier city medium for the remainder of the program...as y'all prob. Know...forcht wade is one of the facilities which are closing down. So after speaking to him lastnight he mentioned that there were a handful of guys who have just completed the program..some are going to work release the rest to David wade were given new master rap sheets. Their good time after completing the program knocked a year off. Than those guys were told to throw those away because the year of good time for completing that program doesn't start until august 1, 2012. So the program administrator told them today that since the rest won't finish until august 30,2012 that they will earn that full year. Am I missing something? I may be confused with this... This obviously isn't hb665. Just trying to figure this out. I don't know why they would be told such a thing...some of the people who finished it was handed a rap sheet including it than brought another without the year of goodtime. Can someone help me out with this? Thank you!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton2002 View Post
I am a bit confused about this hb/law regarding the additional good time for completing certain programs. I have thought for a while now that he's been talking about hb665. After searching and looking to find something good about this after the June 4 deadline. I haven't found anything. I've also seen post on here about it not passing. Is there something else that did pass? Reason why I am asking is bc the program that he's in at forcht wade which he hasn't completed yet will be moved to bossier city medium for the remainder of the program...as y'all prob. Know...forcht wade is one of the facilities which are closing down. So after speaking to him lastnight he mentioned that there were a handful of guys who have just completed the program..some are going to work release the rest to David wade were given new master rap sheets. Their good time after completing the program knocked a year off. Than those guys were told to throw those away because the year of good time for completing that program doesn't start until august 1, 2012. So the program administrator told them today that since the rest won't finish until august 30,2012 that they will earn that full year. Am I missing something? I may be confused with this... This obviously isn't hb665. Just trying to figure this out. I don't know why they would be told such a thing...some of the people who finished it was handed a rap sheet including it than brought another without the year of goodtime. Can someone help me out with this? Thank you!
HB 228 and HB 994 passed this 2012 legislative session. Both bills provide respect to “Good Time”. HB 994 only applies to person’s sentence on or after August 1, 2012. As for HB 228, it doesn’t apply to crime of violence or sex offenders. I am not sure if this bill is retroactive and attempts to contact the representative that sponsored HB 228 went unsuccessful.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:42 PM

[quote=Leyton2002;6826169]I am a bit confused about this hb/law regarding the additional good time for completing certain programs. I have thought for a while now that he's been talking about hb665. After searching and looking to find something good about this after the June 4 deadline. I haven't found anything. I've also seen post on here about it not passing. Is there something else that did pass? Reason why I am asking is bc the program that he's in at forcht wade which he hasn't completed yet will be moved to bossier city medium for the remainder of the program...as y'all prob. Know...forcht wade is one of the facilities which are closing down. So after speaking to him lastnight he mentioned that there were a handful of guys who have just completed the program..some are going to work release the rest to David wade were given new master rap sheets. Their good time after completing the program knocked a year off. Than those guys were told to throw those away because the year of good time for completing that program doesn't start until august 1, 2012. So the program administrator told them today that since the rest won't finish until august 30,2012 that they will earn that full year. Am I missing something? I may be confused with this... This obviously isn't hb665. Just trying to figure this out. I don't know why they would be told such a thing...some of the people who finished it was handed a rap sheet including it than brought another without the year of goodtime. Can someone help me out with this? Thank you!

[I spoke with Representative Smith through email in reference to HB 228 which is now Act 181. She said that this Act is not retroactive its not effective until Aug 1, 2012. She also stated that inmates should check with their facilities to see what programs where eligible under the new law. I hope this helps but Im like you...... I really dont know whats going on but if you was to find anything else out...please post. Because my husband has completed several different rehabilitation programs he has even completed a 2 year welding course at Angola and he is a non-violent/ non-sex offender but was sentenced to 5 flat years under the hibitual law (15:529.1). He has already completed over 4 years but Im praying that this new law provides him with an emergency release come Aug ]