Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Carswell Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Carswell Federal Prisons Topics & Discussions relating to Carswell Federal Prison Camp and Carswell Federal Medical Center located on the Carswell Air Force Base at Fort Worth, Texas.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:30 PM

Default Self surrender in june 2020 questions

I will self surrender in 19 days at carswell fmc. How much money am I allowed to bring with and what will happen when I get there? Will i be seperated from everyone because of the covid problem
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2020, 12:59 PM

I cannot say what the BOP is doing about COVID... hell I'm not even sure the BOP even knows what they are doing.

As far as money.... that seems to be up to the prison itself. Some will let you take a little, some won't let you take any. Is someone going with you? In our case we didn't know if anyone would get to go "all the way" with my husband so I only gave him $20 so that was all I would lose if he couldn't use it. Our son was allowed to go with him inside and they handed the $20 back. If you do not have a # at the BOP site yet, you will soon. If someone is going with you I just recommend that as soon as you are dropped off they go to the nearest Western Union and send money. BUT, I do caution that they find someone that knows what they are doing when it comes to sending money to a federal prisoner. If no one is going with you then you can use that # to send it to yourself before you sign in... I just wasn't as confident about that.

I always use WU because it gets on the books within 2 hours and while I pay a bit more for it, it's ok for the peace of mind it gives.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:22 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,841 Times in 13,684 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here is a link to the bop's covid 19 updates. You might be quarantined when you first arrive if the triage person decides you need to be separated from others.
https://www.bop.gov/coronavirus/

Here's the FMC Carswell web page.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/crw/

The only items you will be able to keep include legal paperwork, one pair of eyeglasses, a wedding ring and possibly one piece of religious jewelry. You must confirm that each item is worth less than $100.00.

Everything else, including clothing and, personal identification documents, must be either mailed home or "donated". My legal paperwork included a list of phone numbers & addresses (for your visitor's list and approved phone list), but to be sure, I also mailed another copy to myself at the prison's mailing address for inmate correspondence. You will need the information to give to your counselor.

If you take prescription meds, the bop will issue everything you will be allowed to take by the bop pharmacy. Here is the bop's RX formulary of approved (mostly the least expensive) drugs,
https://www.bop.gov/resources/pdfs/formulary.pdf

so find out before you self surrender from a doctor or pharmacist what formulary medication is the most appropriate replacement for what you are currently taking. Also ask your doctor to give you a letter explaining your medical diagnoses in case you encounter an issue with the bop medical staff. They also have access to your presentence investigation report, with any medical information included by the Probation officer who wrote it.

You can fund your inmate commissary/phone/email account by taking money with you when you self surrender. Warning, the money I took with me didn't get posted to my account for over 3 weeks, so the only funds I had available were what I sent as a backup, using western union. WU deposits are posted immediately, US Postal Money Orders are posted when they arrive at the Des Moines. IA lock box, all other money orders are placed on a 15 day hold.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

During the pandemic, the bop has temporarily increased the phone minute monthly limit from 300 to 500 minutes, and the calls are free. Normal phone costs are 6 cents/min for any call that is a local number from each prison, and 21 cents/min for long distance calls. Call forwarding (to get a local phone number) is forbidden, so using services like google voice can result in a formal disciplinary violation. A cell phone that is assigned a local number to the prison (area code and prefix) is allowed by the bop since the number that is called is the phone that is answered.

Phone limits, and monthly commissary spending limits (about $325.00 a month) refresh to the next period on the same day every month; the 5th number in your bop inmate ID # (xxxxX-xxx), times 3, plus one, so if your number is 7, your new limits will be posted on the 22nd of each month.

If you have other questions, post them here.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I cannot say what the BOP is doing about COVID... hell I'm not even sure the BOP even knows what they are doing.

As far as money.... that seems to be up to the prison itself. Some will let you take a little, some won't let you take any. Is someone going with you? In our case we didn't know if anyone would get to go "all the way" with my husband so I only gave him $20 so that was all I would lose if he couldn't use it. Our son was allowed to go with him inside and they handed the $20 back. If you do not have a # at the BOP site yet, you will soon. If someone is going with you I just recommend that as soon as you are dropped off they go to the nearest Western Union and send money. BUT, I do caution that they find someone that knows what they are doing when it comes to sending money to a federal prisoner. If no one is going with you then you can use that # to send it to yourself before you sign in... I just wasn't as confident about that.

I always use WU because it gets on the books within 2 hours and while I pay a bit more for it, it's ok for the peace of mind it gives.
Yes I'm going alone and thank you for the info
Old 05-26-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Self Surrender

Just curious, how much time were you given in the court order to self report? I see you said you report in 19 days. Good luck to you and I wish you the best and the time to go by fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff120615 View Post
I will self surrender in 19 days at carswell fmc. How much money am I allowed to bring with and what will happen when I get there? Will i be seperated from everyone because of the covid problem
Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 AM

I was sentenced January 2nd and given til March 4th to surrender but was given an extension to have my baby outside of prison.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGA62 View Post
Just curious, how much time were you given in the court order to self report? I see you said you report in 19 days. Good luck to you and I wish you the best and the time to go by fast!
So my original order was about 60 days but my extension date was based off my due date for my baby
The Following User Says Thank You to Huff120615 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-27-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 11:29 PM

Default baby

Glad for you to be able to spend some time with your newborn and give birth outside of the prison. I wish you a speedy return to your child. Take good care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff120615 View Post
I was sentenced January 2nd and given til March 4th to surrender but was given an extension to have my baby outside of prison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-29-2020), Huff120615 (05-29-2020)