Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Education Inside
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Education Inside Dedicated to all issues related to prisoner education.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 05:05 PM

Talking College Program's for the Incarcerated

I am desperately looking for any college who offers college courses/classes for prisoners. My brother would like to get his degree while doing his time. I have found on at Ohio University but would like to find out more if possible. Can you anyone help me please? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2003, 11:02 PM

Also looking for college in California for my daughter. She has completed 2 years.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:36 PM

I am also looking for college classes for my friend (male)in a Southern California State Prison. they are called Correspondence Classes. Does anyone know anything about them.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:53 PM

One of my pen pals mentioned something through Mississippi State University. I don't have a link or any other information, sorry.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:05 PM

I found a college today! University of Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa. I called 1-800-272-6430 and spoke with Jenny who seems very knowledgeable. She said they work with inmates regularly. She is going to send me a catalog.

Look up their web site and/or give them a call!

Last edited by CET; 02-02-2004 at 11:53 PM..
Old 11-25-2003, 06:14 PM

That is great, I have been seatching for months, and I cannot find anything for Missouri.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:24 AM

While I was in prison in Ohio for a term of 4 years 98-02
I attended the College program at the Inst. that I was at. Once I was released from prison went to a College and had my transcript and enrolled into a degree program there. All I had to do was take 30 credit hours of classes to obtain my degree, Just recieved the degree the other day. Some states are different on there degrees and certif programs. All thing work out for the good Rom 8:28 encourage them to get all they can get while in prison it's free on inside and the outs once released
Old 12-22-2003, 01:01 AM

Default University of Northern Iowa programs

I now have more information about college from Iowa for inmates.

The University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614. Phone: 800-772-1746. E-mail: contined@uni.edu.

There's no out-of-state fee. A Bachelor of Liberal Studies can be earned through printed material.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Last edited by CET; 02-02-2004 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Want to keep this as a sticky!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:26 PM
He is Home!! Thank God!

does anyone have any info the texas inmate educational opportunities
Old 01-23-2004, 05:42 PM

I just talked with a counselor in Georgia Prison for my son. She said they do have correspondence courses but you have to pay for them. I'm looking around as well.

Caution to all - make sure the school is regionally accredited. I believe there are six regions. Successful transfer of credit to other schools will depend on this accreditation.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:23 AM
He is Home!! Thank God!

Do you know if these correspondence courses are only online? I am not a family member so do you think I can call his counselor?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Banned

Default correspondance classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosido
I now have more information about college from Iowa for inmates.

The University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614. Phone: 800-772-1746. E-mail: contined@uni.edu.

There's no out-of-state fee. A Bachelor of Liberal Studies can be earned through printed material.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Remember the classes don't have to be in the state the inmate is in! I'm going to repost some of the links members have sent in previously. CET
Old 01-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

Default classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by babieboo
Do you know if these correspondence courses are only online? I am not a family member so do you think I can call his counselor?
Yes, You can call the counselor. You never know what information they will give or not give until you try! I am "not family" and also "only family" to two young men, brothers of my foster kids, who have no other family, so I am the one to make all the calls for them. I think each state has different rules about what the inmates can take. In the IL forum we had a discussion and they said that the men in the max prisons were not able to take correspondance classes. I did get a booklet from OHio University's program for the incarcerated. They supply everything he or she needs. The classes are not online, the materials are mailed back and forth.
CET
Old 01-27-2004, 10:02 AM
He is Home!! Thank God!

Oh yeah!! I am going to contact Ohio University then. You know someone I know went to grad school their and since they dont have a lot of minority students they gave him a lot of money to come to school and they bought him a car! My baby is in high security so I guess I need to call and find out what he can receive in there. Thru the facility he don't have to privilege to receive anything cuz of his status but maybe I can find a school who will offer him a program anyway....thanks CET! Let me know if you know of some other program I can do for him...
Old 01-27-2004, 09:14 PM

I have contacted Ashworth College. They offer at home study program and you must have at least a high school diploma or GED. They are nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council recognized by the US Department of Education. Web site is www.ashworthcollege.com. Toll free no. 800-223-4542
Old 01-28-2004, 05:49 AM

Be aware if they are not Regionally Accredited you may have trouble getting the course accepted/transferred to other accredited programs.
This would mean that if someone finished an Associates or other it would not be recognized by state and most private accredited colleges.
The Iowa and Ohio State programs most are discussing I believe have regional accredited. However, on the Ashworth's Distance Education and Training Council recognized by the US Department of Education that is not the same as Regional by the US Department of Education.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:53 PM

I just located a guide to correspondence courses for inmates: The Prisoner's Guerrilla Handbook to Correspondence Courses in the United States and Canada. You can get it at www.biddle-audenreed.com/home.html. The cost is $21.95 for prisoners, $24.95 otherwise. Shipping in the US is $2.50. The publisher's address is
Biddle Publishing Co., 13 Gurnet Road, PMB 103, Brunswick, Maine, 040ll.