Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Question Home Detention Eligibility

Hi, My boyfreind got a Home Detention Eligibility date of November 28, 2010 is this the date he will be released to come to our home to start house arrest?? I'm still waiting for the PO to do the house check..according to him his counlsor sent everthing down here they're just waiting for the approval to come back. I'm really anxious and excited but i want to make sure i understand this date correctly before i get my hopes up..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,484 Posts

If anecdotes from this board are any example, the date is not absolute. Since you list the Virgin Islands as your address, and there is no halfway House there, he may get close to that release date, because he won't have to wait for a bed. The only problem I could see is that is during the Thanksgiving break, so BOP tends to be inactive on transfers during that time. Don't worry about the PO, he will get there (but maybe on Island time.) Maybe you could have an expectation of before Christmas, and that should be met.

Does he have available funds to pay for an airplane ticket or will the BOP provide the funds? Hope he makes it sooner rather than later.
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
mrs.creque (07-04-2010)
Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Thank you soo much that information was very helpful. I was worried about it being around Thanksgiving time, but hopefully everything works out...and you are soo right about (Island Time).

My boyfreind hasent said anything about needing funds for his airplane ticket..i was under the assumption that the BOP would be providing the funds....I hope they let us know in advance if they don't.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Default Home Confinement

I was supposed to get 30 days home confinement when I was released from camp. My family had to get another phone line installed for the ankle bracelet. I hope that you don't have to.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:56 AM

I thought it was against policy to go straight from BOP to home confinement. I thought you always had to be released to a HWH..even for a day and the HWH would monitor the home confinement.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Special Exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolong View Post
I thought it was against policy to go straight from BOP to home confinement. I thought you always had to be released to a HWH..even for a day and the HWH would monitor the home confinement.
Like anything else, there is always a exception to the rule. I was in law enforcement, and my team did not want to be liable if I went to a HWH where there were others whom I may have "interacted" with over the years.

It stems from the case of Sgt. Stacey Koons (one of the officers in the Rodney King case). A gunman went to the HWH where he was staying (he wasn't there that day) and shot the place up (and I believe killed some people, but his target was Koons).

After that, the BOP realized that they would be potentially liable in the future as there really is no security at the HWH's.

Anyway, I was told by my team that this was the rule but like all BOP rules & regs. this is not universally followed either.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,484 Posts

The original poster is from the Virgin Islands, looks like there isn't a Halfway house there.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 AM

The PO finally called and came by and did the house visit last week...and she APPROVED the house for his release!! yeah!!...She did check for the phone, because it is a requirement, but i only have one line. She didn't mention that being a problem so i hope thats ok....Now its just waiting time!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolong View Post
The Virgin Islands doesn't have any HWH so its the norm down here for people to be released from BOP to house confinement. Which makes me very happy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs.creque For This Useful Post:
Fresh Start7 (07-20-2010), tolong (07-19-2010)