Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:15 AM

Smile How to get a New York state Birth Certificate for a Federal Inmate?

Hello,
I have some questions about the process of how to get a New York state Birth Certificate for a Federal Inmate?

1. Shouldn't my LO's Federal prison counselor / social worker be able to get the prisoner's Birth Certificate?

2. New York state requires that the Birth Certificate application be signed and notarized by the requestor, however the Federal prison counselor / social worker couldn't? But was able to notarize my LO's Power of Attorney???

3. The Federal prison counselor / social worker provided a Letter of Incarceration with a copy of my LO's mugshot and photo copy of my LO's social security card. The New York state Birth Certificate application was stamped (not notarized) by the Federal prison counselor / social worker. Will this be acceptable?

Sorry, if this wasn't the correct category for these questions. I wasn't really sure where to post this as it is complicated.

Summary: Federal prisoner needs New York state Birth Certificate. Federal prisoner is NOT located in New York currently, located in Virginia.

Any guidance and / or is gladly appreciated.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 03:28 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,837 Times in 13,682 Posts

The stamp that bop counselors use is supposed to be accepted by everyone as the equivalent of a notary. The question is will the NY records folks agree? Probably yes, but he will have to wait to know for sure.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Thanked 1,142 Times in 512 Posts

One of the 5 boroughs? Those i don’t need notary, just the accompanying documents and goes to NYC Vital Statistics.
This is NYS corrections.
I hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
BKQueen (02-11-2020), Lesliezack (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 06:23 PM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

We just went through all this....depending what borough he was born in he may have to go through Bureau of Vital Statistics on Worth St, NY NY.

BTW, BKQueen, we had it sent to a Camp in Va. too just recently.

Last edited by Lesliezack; 02-11-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Old 02-11-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
One of the 5 boroughs? Those i don’t need notary, just the accompanying documents and goes to NYC Vital Statistics.
This is NYS corrections.
I hope this helps.
Exactly, that’s what we just went through at the Federal camp...
No notary....just the documents as you said.
He was born in Manhattan Borough.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:49 PM

Thank you fbopnomore, Lesliezack and Ms Sunny. Yes, it is one of the 5 Boroughs. We followed the instructions on the NY state Birth Certificate application exactly, even providing a self addressed envelope, so the Birth Certificates can be mailed back. Fingers crossed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BKQueen For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-12-2020), Lesliezack (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQueen View Post
Thank you fbopnomore, Lesliezack and Ms Sunny. Yes, it is one of the 5 Boroughs. We followed the instructions on the NY state Birth Certificate application exactly, even providing a self addressed envelope, so the Birth Certificates can be mailed back. Fingers crossed.
Was it done from the prison? If so, I just want to say...it takes forever ( months) .I finally emailed them and it then arrived shortly after....
Information for that.
nycdohvr@health.nyc.gov
212-639-9675
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesliezack For This Useful Post:
BKQueen (03-04-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:50 PM

Yes and No. Meaning I printed off the paper application and mailed it to him. He filled it out and had his counselor stamp it. He mailed the completed signed stsmped application along with the Letter of Incarceration with the photo on BOP letterhead home. I then went to the post office and got the money orders and sent it all Certified to the NYC Depart of Health and Mental Hygiene. Thank for the contact info. I will be following up on it. It's been difficult. NY doesn't make it easy to contact them.
The Following User Says Thank You to BKQueen For This Useful Post:
Lesliezack (02-12-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 PM

Just giving an update:
I still haven't received his NY Birth Certificate in the mail, nor have I received back any response to my email inquiry. I did call a few weeks back and was told that it takes up to 6 - 8 weeks just for paper applications to be entered into the computer system.

Now with this Pandemic, who knows when it will get entered and processed. Nevertheless, this too shall pass and I will be right back to trying to get a status.
The Following User Says Thank You to BKQueen For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-02-2020)