Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Pets & Animal Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animal Discussions Man of us have furry (or other) loved ones at home with us. Please use this forum to talk about anything and everything relating to them, hobbies relating to them, etc.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:52 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,883 Times in 6,813 Posts
Default Anyone Involved in Animal Rescue?

Long story short...tried to assist in rescuing a kitten tonight and turned out it was a kid playing a prank on the rescue group I (newly) belong to. Drove an hour, at 9:30pm, to pick up the kitten and transport it to another woman who was willing to foster but couldn't drive.

Remember the old game of ordering pizzas and having them sent to some unknowing person? Yeah, well this kid is sending people to pick up kittens at strangers homes. Poor guy who lived there had no idea what I was talking about and was none to happy about having his address posted online.

What is wrong with people? That said, I love my community's commitment to animal welfare and this won't stop me from helping again.

Anyone else participate in animal rescues? Have a story to share?

The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Rugbymom (06-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Donation Award 

I participate in animal rescue - mostly transportation, but I also pay to have animals spayed and neutered and have paid or contributed to vet bills. I can't foster as I have two boxers (brother and sister) and sister WON'T tolerate another dog. I had a Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepard mix I rescued - he lived with me for three years. They jumped him when I was out of town and my pet sitter called a friend crying - I had to find another home for him (only dog - SOOOOOO spoiled now). Rescue is a downer more than it is an upper, but I feel so good when I can help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huskers For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,577 Posts

Yes and no. While I was in Turks & Caicos on my vacation in April I found out about "Potcake Place" and I started to support them and will offer my services as a courier. If I could have a dog in my flat and could take it to work I would've adopted one right away. Google it, it's sooooo sooooo awesome!
miamac (05-23-2016), Rugbymom (06-21-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskers View Post
I participate in animal rescue - mostly transportation, but I also pay to have animals spayed and neutered and have paid or contributed to vet bills. I can't foster as I have two boxers (brother and sister) and sister WON'T tolerate another dog. I had a Great Pyrenees/Australian Shepard mix I rescued - he lived with me for three years. They jumped him when I was out of town and my pet sitter called a friend crying - I had to find another home for him (only dog - SOOOOOO spoiled now). Rescue is a downer more than it is an upper, but I feel so good when I can help.
P.S. here's the link http://www.potcakeplace.com
miamac (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:00 AM

Thanked 5,803 Times in 3,033 Posts

No I can barely afford the dog I have. She's 10 and her Vet bills are getting higher each year.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
No I can barely afford the dog I have. She's 10 and her Vet bills are getting higher each year.
I hear ya...my dog is 11 and her legs are starting to go out from under her. It's breaking my heart. She, and my 14 year old cat, are the reasons I can't foster. But I was happy to transport last night. Bummed that there are people who have ill intentions, though.

When the time comes that I no longer have a dog () I will probably foster kittens for a while. The need here is so great and the humane society assists with food and vet care.

Last edited by miamac; 05-23-2016 at 07:57 PM..
xolady (05-24-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Donation Award 

For anyone living in California - check out Leave No Paws Behind - they are a rescue organization that rescues senior dogs left at shelters to die. AWESOME group - if I buy anything from Amazon - I use SmileAmazon and a portion goes to that group.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huskers For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,137 Times in 10,866 Posts

Not officially involved in any organization. I just end up adopting strays - horses, dogs and cats.
Critter07 (05-24-2016), miamac (05-24-2016), Rugbymom (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Thanked 5,803 Times in 3,033 Posts

I actually can't believe how many stray animals there are where I live now. It actually freaks me out when I see all these dogs cats, and god knows what else running loose. My dog is like so used to going for walks and going to dog parks that she really has no clue how to survive in the wild. I just met a neighbor and he was kind of making fun of me for walking my dog on a leash!!! I've been going thru culture shock that's for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I actually can't believe how many stray animals there are where I live now. It actually freaks me out when I see all these dogs cats, and god knows what else running loose. My dog is like so used to going for walks and going to dog parks that she really has no clue how to survive in the wild. I just met a neighbor and he was kind of making fun of me for walking my dog on a leash!!! I've been going thru culture shock that's for sure.
Ha! That reminds me of when I first started visiting my husband. He was in central CA, medium-sized farming community and dogs...dogs everywhere. It was the first time I'd seen actual packs of mutts running the streets. You know those rescue foundations that work in Mexico and the commercials show rag-tag groups of dogs? This place. And as many deceased on the side of the road as running in it. Never seen anything like it.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:53 AM

Hi,
I am actually a barn manager of a horse barn here in Maryland and every couple of months we rescue horses from the kill buyer, evaluate them, give them the best treatment money can buy, and love them unconditionally. We then find them good forever-homes. We currently have 15 horses.
PS: This is not my primary job, this is my free therapy
The Following User Says Thank You to Rugbymom For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbymom View Post
Hi,
I am actually a barn manager of a horse barn here in Maryland and every couple of months we rescue horses from the kill buyer, evaluate them, give them the best treatment money can buy, and love them unconditionally. We then find them good forever-homes. We currently have 15 horses.
PS: This is not my primary job, this is my free therapy
That's awesome...and expensive, no doubt!

I saw a post that there are 52 horses in need of rescue in OH because the ranch owner passed away and no family wants to take over the animals. 52!!

My husband is fanatical about horses; when he's out he'd like to work with them. There is a place here that provides ridership for folks with disabilities and I've sent him their volunteer application so he might contact them about working there. They're always asking for volunteers and they allow people to complete community service hours there so we're hopeful they'll accept him, as well.
Rugbymom (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
That's awesome...and expensive, no doubt!

I saw a post that there are 52 horses in need of rescue in OH because the ranch owner passed away and no family wants to take over the animals. 52!!

My husband is fanatical about horses; when he's out he'd like to work with them. There is a place here that provides ridership for folks with disabilities and I've sent him their volunteer application so he might contact them about working there. They're always asking for volunteers and they allow people to complete community service hours there so we're hopeful they'll accept him, as well.
That's awesome! They also have a lot of programs for inmates to work with mustangs and thoroughbreds in order to facilitate rehabilitation.
It's expensive but it's worth it. I'm a forensic supervisor in real life and being with the horses is the best therapy there is. Or animals in general. BTW that's part of why I fell for my MWI, because we have that in common, too....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugbymom For This Useful Post:
Huskers (07-28-2016), miamac (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Donation Award 

No, I'm not involved in animal rescue. I admire those of you that are. But I always get our dogs from the local animal shelter (except our little one, she was found by my son wandering around the lake near our house).
The Following User Says Thank You to NewTexGal For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-24-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 02:20 AM

Getting ready to be a volunteer at my local animal shelter. I've already been through the initial orientation. Lots of ways to help there, including transporting animals to outlying approved rescue groups willing to take them.

A relative of mine started her own private cat rescue. She only works with cats. They go out and place particle board shelters with hay in the winter with property owner's permission in areas that have cat colonies as well as doing the trap and release. She pays for the spaying and neutering and medical care and actively tries to find homes for cats when they've become socialized. She also helps other rescue organizations as she is able, for example she knew a doctor who was renovating his office and she coordinated taking all of his old office furniture to be donated to an animal rescue that needed it.

I'm more of a dog person myself, but I like cats, too. There are so many worthy animal rescues out there. There's the Mr. Moe Project in New York that does senior dogs. Animal Aid Unlimited was begun by a couple from Seattle, WA who permanently moved to India. They handle some really drastic cases that would likely be euthanized at many other places.

In Canada there is a rescue called Animal Advocates started by a lady named Judy who has really fought hard to change some of the laws there and hold their regional ASPCA accountable. There's Vet Ranch in Texas that was started by a young vet who got some of his school colleagues to participate. They take donations to help provide medical care to homeless dogs, cats and sometimes horses that then go to rescues to find homes. Of course also Villalobos that has the Pit Bulls and Parolees show on TV. In Ohio there's a man who drives a big truck that transports animals across the country to their new families every week. Also Pilots and Paws, with pilots who fly animals that are in overcrowded areas to rescue groups who are more able to handle taking them in. Lets Adopt! Global I think was started by a vet in Turkey, I believe. K9's for Warriors that trains shelter dogs to be companion animals for returning soldiers with PTSD. There's also a group in South Carolina called the Coalition to Unchain Dogs that I like that doesn't rescue animals, per se, but they are volunteers that go out and build dog houses and fence enclosures specifically for chained outdoor dogs so they don't have to be chained up anymore. They can then at least run around and have a dog house to sleep in out of the cold or wet weather and hot sun.

Just so many great folks out there contributing to help innocent homeless, starving and/or wounded or ill creatures that can't do for themselves......

Last edited by Aphra; 05-28-2016 at 02:34 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aphra For This Useful Post:
Huskers (07-28-2016), miamac (05-28-2016), Rugbymom (05-28-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Owned

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,823 Posts

I am a foster home for dogs. The dogs I foster are either sick or injured; I nurse them back to health when possible and then send them off to the N/E states for adoption.

Right now I have 4 fosters and 2 of them will never be well enough for transport.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

We're in a heat wave right now with temps hovering around 120.
Shelters and local rescues are asking that we put bowls of water around our property for animals that may be without homes.

In my home state I would deliver bags of dog food and blankets cut down for dogs to our homeless camps during cold snaps. We had warming shelters, but people were not allowed to bring their animals inside, so like most of us would...the humans stayed out with their animals.

Do you live in an area with extreme weather? Do you do anything extra during those times?
Rugbymom (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
We're in a heat wave right now with temps hovering around 120.
Shelters and local rescues are asking that we put bowls of water around our property for animals that may be without homes.

In my home state I would deliver bags of dog food and blankets cut down for dogs to our homeless camps during cold snaps. We had warming shelters, but people were not allowed to bring their animals inside, so like most of us would...the humans stayed out with their animals.

Do you live in an area with extreme weather? Do you do anything extra during those times?
We collected hundreds of saddle pads to send to places where they need them desperately for donkeys and horses who are work animals and need this for protection to stay uninjured. Other than that, not during this time right now. I'm in Maryland and it's not hot yet, only in the upper 80s to low 90s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rugbymom For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-21-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 02:53 PM
weary
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,020 Posts

We have a rescue cat and 2 rescue bunnies. Other than that we sponsor 2 dogs who are not fit for re-homing. They live their days out in doggy bliss in the english countryside.
miamac (07-02-2016), sidewalker (07-03-2016)