Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
waiting patiently

Default Sending mail that another inmate wrote but not adressed to another inmate

OK so lets just say that an ex-friend, who is in jail and looking at prison time, of an inmate is sending his girlfriend mail, and the girlfriend appropriately told her man this. Now he is asking for her to mail these letters that are addressed to her to him just so he can see what the ex friend in jail is saying. Is that breaking any sort of rule? I mean the letters aren't address to him, so it isnt correspondence between the two of them and he wont write anything back.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinG View Post
OK so lets just say that an ex-friend, who is in jail and looking at prison time, of an inmate is sending his girlfriend mail, and the girlfriend appropriately told her man this. Now he is asking for her to mail these letters that are addressed to her to him just so he can see what the ex friend in jail is saying. Is that breaking any sort of rule? I mean the letters aren't address to him, so it isnt correspondence between the two of them and he wont write anything back.

Okay, so one inmate is writing to his ex girlfriend, right? The current boyfriend is also an inmate and wants the girlfriend to send the letters that the ex is writing? I think that is what you are saying.

I think (not 100% sure) that as long as the letters are NOT written to the current boyfriend, then that should be okay. So basically the ex is writing and the new boyfriend wants to know what he is saying.

Now if the letters look as though they were written from one inmate to another, then yeah, that is a big NO NO.

Good Luck to you and your friend

Last edited by patswife4-ever; 10-29-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 PM
waiting patiently

ok sorry, not exactly, my BF is in prison, his friend (well not friends anymore) is writing me letters from the county jail and awaiting trial. My BF wants me to send the letters that the friend has written to me to him so he can just see what he has to say. does that make sense?

Last edited by KristinG; 10-29-2008 at 09:59 PM..
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

In the state of California it is ILLEGAL for an inmate to write another inmate, whether or not they are in a prison or a jail UNLESS they are a family member and it is approved by the prison. Also, it is a felony for you to be sending any inmate from another inmate. There isa name for it and I cannot remember what it is but to answer your question. Yes, they cannot communicate.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 PM
waiting patiently

That is what I thought, and I definitely dont want to get in any trouble or have my BF get in any trouble either. But they clearly arent addressed to him and are addressed to me, was hoping that maybe there was a little snake hole there was that it was ok. I guess better safe then sorry.....damnit
Old 10-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

You can rewrite them in your own words but they are also not stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinG View Post
That is what I thought, and I definitely dont want to get in any trouble or have my BF get in any trouble either. But they clearly arent addressed to him and are addressed to me, was hoping that maybe there was a little snake hole there was that it was ok. I guess better safe then sorry.....damnit
Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 PM
reachin' for the stars

i would think that if it doesnt have any inmate info like inmate # and address, then you should be ok... you can always fold that letter but in it put a small note like.... this is what i was talkin about, or something to that effect. if the person who wrote it put info on there that pertained to them being in jail, then i would not do it cuz that just shows inmate info....get me????
Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Hopefull

Sounds a little risky. I would rewrite in your own handwritting, and exclude any information that revealed he was in jail
Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 PM
waiting patiently

haha yeah I could do that, but all his letters to me say stuff about his court, his laywer, he wants pictures, and a penpal, so if i took that stuff out there would be nothing left. I think that I am just not going to do it all and he can read them in a few years. thank you all for your input!!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 AM

Wise decision. I would probably just give him a brief summary about what the other guy was saying in the letters. Anything else does seem too risky.