Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

Question For those who have lifers or many years to go

I was just wondering what your guys are feeling when someone is placed with them who is going home soon? My guy got placed at Macomb knowing he was going home within the next two weeks and was placed in a 2-man cell with a lifer. They both get along great and he and his family sat with us in visiting yesterday but I felt bad for him and my man says he doesn't want to tell him he's going home tomorrow. I just wondered why the facility would do that and if it actually bothers the lifer knowing that their bunkies are going home and they are not. Just would like some feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

Chuck's bunkie was sent home two weeks ago and it just destroyed him...however, his cell mate, whom is a lifer was just happy for him to go home. He always said that he has accepted and adjusted to his life in prison (he's been there over twenty years) and just b/c his fate is with in the walls doesnt mean others need to be.

we have met some people that absolutely do not want others to go home so they are messed with, picked on etc. Im sure it will depend on the person, as it always will, but we have had both positive and negative experiences.

I imagine it is the same with the wives. I am excited, very excited for you guys and at the same time it pulls on my heart strings...wow it isnt us again...wow everyone im serving time with is being reunited...etc. you understand tb...just explaining for others that read.
sssimlay (07-07-2009), tballa (07-07-2009)
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Donation Award 

My husbands had quite a few of them. It doesn't bother him. He does talk to them about not coming back and making something out of their lives, repairing the damage done to their families and children. He said some listen and he can tell that others will be back shortly. Some of them have contacted me after they have gotten out just to let me know they appreciated him and wished us well.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.
~Confucius~
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mabear For This Useful Post:
ilovecharles (07-07-2009), sssimlay (07-07-2009), tballa (07-07-2009)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

This is why I posted this: for others to see how a parole affects everyone around the inmate. I feel awful for his bunkie (they share a two-man cell) knowing that he's been in for 14 years already (he's only 32) and he gets a guy in with him whose going home in a few weeks. I just don't think it's fair to him to be placed with guys who only have a short-time. It's hard enough for us to read on here about others getting their paroles and such, while we still wait...so I can only imagine what it does to an inmate.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Almost done- Thank God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballa View Post
This is why I posted this: for others to see how a parole affects everyone around the inmate. I feel awful for his bunkie (they share a two-man cell) knowing that he's been in for 14 years already (he's only 32) and he gets a guy in with him whose going home in a few weeks. I just don't think it's fair to him to be placed with guys who only have a short-time. It's hard enough for us to read on here about others getting their paroles and such, while we still wait...so I can only imagine what it does to an inmate.

I agree. I always feel bad for the ladies here on this forum who have lifers or long-time incarceration with their loved ones.....

I feel grateful that he only got 24 months, and that we have 8 months left.

Actually, when my honey was in Egeler, he told me that he was there with people that were going to be locked up for 10, 20, and even natural life and he was thankful that all he got was two years....

I feel terrible for those inmates that watch others come and go.....
I am going to say a special prayer for them tonight

Distance is not for the fearful. It is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM

I agree with Charles and mabear. I think alot depends on how long they have already done. The ones who have been their a short time with a long time to go haven't yet adjusted to the fact that that is their life from there on out. The ones who have done a while of their time already are happy to see guys go home and have another chance. Yet I know it has to hurt when you make friends with them and they go home just as it hurts when they transfer them.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
MrsT
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,763 Times in 868 Posts

My man has been in for 26 years and has watched many leave. I don't know if it "saddens" him or if he envies them so much as really pisses him off when they COME BACK!

He says some walk up to him like they're suppose to bump knuckles and do the "welcome back, homie" thing. He's like "WTF are you doing back in here?!! Get the F- away from me!" He gets really disgusted with those that have a "prison is home" mentality.

Those that leave and are law-abiding citizens usually stay in contact with him via letters. So he's cool with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to OneOfMany For This Useful Post:
tballa (07-09-2009)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 PM

My fiance was sentenced to natural life at the age of 19. He is now 45 years old. Like Ma Bear's husband, he tries talking to them about what he calls a "second chance to live life right", some listen and some don't. He is happy that these men get a chance to live and have a life in the free world. Of course he talks about when he gets out, things he wants to do. Never giving up hope for a commutation. I remember when he was in Saginaw, a guy in his unit messed up right before his parole date, he said, I wish he was my bunkie, I would have made sure he stayed in the room and was very careful about what he did. He tries to teach the young guys, young in age or short in time, not to be like him. He doesn't wish lifetime incarceration on anyone. But we never give up hope and never stop praying that we will be together in the "free world" someday.

To love someone, is not WANTING to spend the rest of your life with them, it is KNOWING that you can't live without them for the rest of your life!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimber46214 For This Useful Post:
tballa (07-09-2009)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Donation Award 

I've been SO depressed reading some of the things that go on in prison. It's nice to read something positive for a change. I didn't think older inmates would want to help the younger ones. I thought they would be jaded and bitter. This thread has done my heart some good and brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for brining it up, tballa.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber46214 View Post
My fiance was sentenced to natural life at the age of 19. He is now 45 years old. Like Ma Bear's husband, he tries talking to them about what he calls a "second chance to live life right", some listen and some don't. He is happy that these men get a chance to live and have a life in the free world. Of course he talks about when he gets out, things he wants to do. Never giving up hope for a commutation. I remember when he was in Saginaw, a guy in his unit messed up right before his parole date, he said, I wish he was my bunkie, I would have made sure he stayed in the room and was very careful about what he did. He tries to teach the young guys, young in age or short in time, not to be like him. He doesn't wish lifetime incarceration on anyone. But we never give up hope and never stop praying that we will be together in the "free world" someday.
I completely love my lifer and we are happy to see thoe guys go home that seem to get it. The most frustrating part is to watch a guy go home that they know will most likely come right back because the just don't get it!! My husband also threatens his friends that if they come back he is going to kick their butts!

We are happy to see guys go home and don't have any issues with that. We are just waiting for our chance and we never give up hope. Please don't feel sorry for us because that seems to imply that there is no hope and we should just accept that they will spend their lives in prison. That may not be the case because there are options and things will change.

For those of you who say prayers, pray for the lifer to have the opportunity to be free, not just adjust to what others think is what their life is. JMO!!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 AM

My Guy doesn’t really care about the length of time his bunkie may or may not have. He’s more concerned about living with someone who keeps himself and his area of control neat and clean. One thing he can’t stand, though, is to hear a “short-timer” complain about the time he does have. My Guy has done 6 years with 9 to go until his minimum and his max date is so far out we can’t even think about it. The last thing he wants to hear is some guy complaining about months or even a couple of years.