Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:35 PM

Default Dont understand Georgia sentencing

We live in North Carolina and convicted in Georgia. My boyfriend was charged with first degree burglary in Georgia. Applied for a court appointed attorney. He refused the first plea that was offered and it went before a jury. On the first day of his trial he was then introduced to his attorney. His case went before the jury and was found guilty of the crime. He was given a split sentence of 20years must serve 10. This is his first offence. He has zero criminal history (a DUI in 2004). He had a co-defendant with an extensive criminal past that took the plea, testified against my boyfriend and received a suspended sentence and served no time. My questions: why wasn't he offered the first offenders? Is his sentence a bit much? What if anything can we do? Any advice is welcomed!
Thanks and please help,
Fame Conley
The Following User Says Thank You to Fame Conley For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (10-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2017, 09:00 PM

Thanked 1,493 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame Conley View Post
We live in North Carolina and convicted in Georgia. My boyfriend was charged with first degree burglary in Georgia. Applied for a court appointed attorney. He refused the first plea that was offered and it went before a jury. On the first day of his trial he was then introduced to his attorney. His case went before the jury and was found guilty of the crime. He was given a split sentence of 20years must serve 10. This is his first offence. He has zero criminal history (a DUI in 2004). He had a co-defendant with an extensive criminal past that took the plea, testified against my boyfriend and received a suspended sentence and served no time. My questions: why wasn't he offered the first offenders? Is his sentence a bit much? What if anything can we do? Any advice is welcomed!
Thanks and please help,
Fame Conley
I would think he could appeal the verdict but having a different attorney is a good idea. How can someone defend you if they only meet you the day of the trial? In order to get 1st offender, the lawyer & DA usually work that deal out & the person pleads guilty. Here is a link that gives an explanation. http://www.gjp.org/programs/criminal...irst-offender/
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 AM

The operative point is the co-defendant rolled over on your boyfriend first. It's a sickening hallmark of the Georgia legal system. Yes try for a new hearing, based on lack of effective representation. If this doesn't work, he can apply for a sentence modification. Unfortunately this doesn't work very often. Good luck, my heart goes out to you both in this terrible situation.