Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

View Poll Results: Should rehabs be co-ed or not ?
CO-ED 5 7.46%
NON CO-ED 58 86.57%
Doesnt matter 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Co-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoosgirl
What about a couple though? They both want to go to rehab but don't want to be separated. Is there such a thing as couples rehab? Maybe a stupid question but I wanted to ask....
I can't say for all re-habs, But the one i work in is a co-ed rehab, and there is not aloud to be any married couples, boyfriend/girlfriends family members, or someone who you use to use with in at the same time. This is how our facility works, and YES the co-ed is causing problems for clients treatment. They are more focused on getting some than working on their problem. Though if caught even talking to the oppisite sex at my re-hab, both are thrown out of the program. So there are strict rules, but they are not always followed
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Everyone Fave GoofBall

I am in complete agreeance with last posts, co eds arent good!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:38 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I have been "in treatment" twice. The first place was co-ed, the second was not. There were only a few women at the first facility--I don't recall anyone pairing off while I was there. I do recall that the men got a fair number of lectures on the subject and that one guy did get kicked out for hooking up with a woman staying at another treatment center just down the street. For my part I acquired several female friends, as I had no interest in hitting on any of them and once that became clear, I was "safe" and became everyone's confidant. It seemed an honor and I respected it as such.

One of the women returned to an abusive relationship after she finished treatment--I hope she's ok but things sure didn't look good back then. Several of the guys were simply "serving their time" and more than one didn't even succeed in making it through the 28 days.

The second place was all men, though strangely, better than half of the staff were women. They were using what they claimed to be an "experimental treatment program" which I now believe to be a bunch of snake oil used to get various state and federal programs to pay the bills. I was so annoyed with the program, or lack thereof (how many days of lectures consisting of "it doesn't matter....let go...." can one take?) that I hardly noticed any of the other residents. After 25 days of killing time I grew tired of being treated like a prisoner (which was how the place was run) and signed out. Bought a bottle on the way home, in fact.

A few months later I was shipped off to yet another facility, this time being threatened with 90 days' incarceration there after a two-week "evaluation". The place was co-ed; I hardly noticed. When it became obvious that the program was something resembling Synanon and I began asking pointed questions, especially of one counselor, said counselor took me into his office and assaulted me. I packed my bag and walked out. No one stopped me. And no action was ever taken against the counselor.

I moved to a different part of the state shortly afterwards and, after a relapse of less than two weeks, straightened out more or less on my own and remain sober to this day.

I can certainly sympathize with women in particular who may run into a bunch of unwanted crap in a co-ed facility. That sort of thing doesn't help anyone and is to be avoided. But I can only say that in my own experience, during which I took care to regard other clients as I do other AA members, as my brothers and sisters, I saw no problem. Now, I could write a whole book about guys who try to meet women in AA, but.....those of you who've been there probably know it all too well.

It may not be popular with many, but I am all in favor of co-ed treatment centers. If one cannot handle being around the opposite sex in the sheltered environment of a treatment center, what happens when you finish treatment? I do recognize there are some gender issues here which need to be addressed separately, but frankly, rehab should be a reintroduction to the world, not a refuge from it. And in the world, people come in two basic models.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
NativeluvsBG (09-17-2011)
Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Donation Award 

I was in a co-ed rehab (but now they changed it), and I was in constant trouble because of communicating with the opposite sex & dress code (distraction for the men). Even conversing was forbidden.

And from my experience, people were too distracted with crushes then the main reason & focus for being there - recovery. You are not in the right state to even worry about relationships, and need to work on yourself.

There are way more CONS then PROS.

We're only human, and it's too tempting to have the opposite sex in front of us.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 PM
TruLuvStoryNeverEnds

As someone who works in the field of recovery, definately not. I work at an all male, residential facility, treatment is hard enough. If it were co ed, many would lose sight of their purpose. We even admit alternative lifestyle clients and that drama alone throws everyone off their focus in their recovery. Thankfully, the organization i work for has several other places (both in patient and outpatient) that facilitate women.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Stand Tall Fade All

Personally I think rehabs should NOT be co ed. Recovering addicts and alcoholics tend to do anything but focus on the task at hand which is getting clean and sober. What better way to put your recovery on hold than a brand new relationship. Somebody to save them or for them to save. What usually happens is they end up taking eachother right back out. In the beginning of recovery they say you shouldnt even think of a relationship till at least 6 months to a year. Why have the temptation its not worth it. just my opinion. When i got sober I wouldve loved a distraction such as another person but now looking back the reality is you get someone just as sick if not more than you and if things dont work out being dumped is a great excuse to have a big fat relapse. I have seen some of these relationship s work but i have seen many more fail and the people go back out using and honestly none of us really knows if we got one more run in us. I have seen many people die from thinking they had one more run in them.My belief is work on you learn to love yourself and then and only then can you truely love another and have a healthy relationship.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Where's my baybuh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
1st Year of Recovery- Buy a plant.
If it lives,
2nd Year of Recovery- Get a dog.
If it lives,
3rd Year of Recovery- You might be ready for a relationship.
This is one of my favorite quotes!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Where's my baybuh?

I don't think they should be co-ed. there are too many things that they need to focus on. not a good time for any distractions.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 PM
msladylisa62

Default msladylisa62

I have to agree with you ladies. NO CO_ED rehabs. I don't want the oppist sex all over my man, I'd may have to get ugly, if that was to happen.

I have a little saying my friend gave me it goes like this:

Don't roughful the feathers, I might great real ugly!!!!

Lisa
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Still KraZee in Love !

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,175 Posts
Default Registered user

Got to keep the focus on you! I've seen disaster too many times out of co-Ed facilities.! I've been in recovery nearly twenty years and I have seen it all! If you have too many distractions when you are trying to get clean, it just doesn't work. Looking and being around members of the opposite sex is just TOO distracting.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM

I have never been a co-ed program in rehab. I have been in a men's program in my first trip to rehab.

I believe that having same sex rehab makes it easier for addicts/alcoholics to discuss gender-specific issues related to their addiction and also prevents relationships. Addicts and alcoholics in very early recovery also do not have the social skills to form new intimate relationships with opposite sex and co-ed rehab makes it easy to form these relationship with people being together for a 30 day periods.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 PM

Default Couples Rehab

Yoosgirl I've wondered the same thing. I've never heard of a wife/husband co-ed before. I wish there was. One where no you're not together all the time. But you get to spend weekends, or evens, maybe just meals together.

Even in prison you can go and see your husband for the full weekend. Spend the night with each other, cook together. Trying to keep the family together.

Now don't think that I think having another drug addicted person putting pressure on you or vs verse is the best way. I do agree that in Rehab people learn more about them selves then they have been able to face for a long time. So there is a certain degree of separation that must happen.

Just I know when my Husband and I get out. We're wanting to look into a long term rehab center that is co-ed. That way we can at least see each other. Even if we're not allowed to be intimate. Hold hands or go for walks with each other.

For me a perfect rehab would be out in the middle of no where. With two different buildings on sight. One fore men and the other for women. Both going to meals, free time, and getting to spend the weekends with your partner. But classes, groups and homework apart. It's important for a couple to be able to grow in a healthy way together. To discuss what the classes has inspired in their thoughts and feelings.

Maybe one day.... I'll get my fantasy rehab LOL.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Misery loves company. I think its a horrible idea.