Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Account Closed

I'm back! Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy weekend.

Sidewalker: Don't worry. If she ever shows up here, I most definitely will not answer the door. If anything, I'll make an escape out the back door.

Yourself: I've kept the letter and intend to show it to my P.O. at our next meeting, which is a little under two weeks away. The detention center should probably know that someone's found a way to sneak inappropriate mail past the guards.

I actually have been to Centenary. It's a really nice campus and easy to find your way around. Doesn't seem to be a party school, which is fine by me. It's also more selective than LSU. Of all my in-state choices, I think it's actually my favorite. They have other degree programs besides pre-law that I'm interested in too. I do intend to talk to a guidance counselor though, as you suggested.

Nimuay: Yeah, I definitely want to take at least one "off-the-wall" course. Southeast Asian folklore sounds pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind taking a course on Greek mythology though if it's available.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2016, 11:49 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,413 Times in 7,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetentionBound View Post
I'm back! Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy weekend.

Sidewalker: Don't worry. If she ever shows up here, I most definitely will not answer the door. If anything, I'll make an escape out the back door.

Yourself: I've kept the letter and intend to show it to my P.O. at our next meeting, which is a little under two weeks away. The detention center should probably know that someone's found a way to sneak inappropriate mail past the guards.

I actually have been to Centenary. It's a really nice campus and easy to find your way around. Doesn't seem to be a party school, which is fine by me. It's also more selective than LSU. Of all my in-state choices, I think it's actually my favorite. They have other degree programs besides pre-law that I'm interested in too. I do intend to talk to a guidance counselor though, as you suggested.

Nimuay: Yeah, I definitely want to take at least one "off-the-wall" course. Southeast Asian folklore sounds pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind taking a course on Greek mythology though if it's available.
Take one "off-the-wall" course every semester if possible - keeps things interesting. And, since most people change their majors several times during their college careers, it might help you find your next major!

Glad you've been to Centenary. Please visit a few more colleges - they will either highlight Centenary's deficiencies, or highlight Centenary's "fit".

And talk with your guidance counselor - best bet for really assessing where you should look, and whether you're selling yourself short for Chicago as a long-shot "dream" school, or aiming too high. Further, s/he may have other colleges to look at, some who may offer you scholarship based solely on GPA and SAT algorithm - most schools offer these sorts of things to entice the best GPA/SAT combos possible. You might find yourself in the position where you're struggling between taking a scholarship or going someplace more challenging.

Btw, some schools may offer scholarships for promising young people who've got great GPAs and have tangled with the criminal justice system. Your guidance counselor can look into these things for you, or help you with other possible scholar ships or grants.

Don't dismiss your experience with the criminal justice system when it comes to finances. Further, it can be great fodder for your personal essay. When you're on the GPA/SAT bubble, it's the essay that gets you in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
DetentionBound (01-25-2016), sidewalker (01-27-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:18 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post

Btw, some schools may offer scholarships for promising young people who've got great GPAs and have tangled with the criminal justice system. Your guidance counselor can look into these things for you, or help you with other possible scholar ships or grants.
I'd never considered the possibility that such scholarships might exist before now. I'll definitely have to look into that. Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Account Closed

Hey Everyone!

IĎm so sorry for my absence. I canít believe itís been 8 months since I last posted!

Obviously, a lot has happened over the past several months. Iím attending my first semester at college (Centenary) and so far Iím really enjoying it. Even though itís here in town, I opted to live in the dorms. My roommate is really awesome. She and I get along very well.

The b/f and I are still together. Heís attending a different school but, as itís LSUS, weíre still seeing plenty of each other. We even spent a night together at his place last weekend since his roommate was away. Wow, I hope my parents never find and read this thread!

I havenít settled on a major yet. Of all my classes, I'm enjoying psych the most. Itís funny but despite having dreamed of law school for years, I now actually find myself contemplating becoming some kind of counselor instead. Maybe even one who counsels teens in the juvenile system, like the therapist I saw at juvenile hall. I told my sister this recently and she said she couldnít decide whether she found that admirable or just plain crazy; lol!

In non-education related news, I recently remembered that my driverís license suspension will be up by the end of December. The thought both excites and nauseates me. It excites me because Iíll finally be able to legally get on with my plan to learn to ride a motorcycle. But it nauseates me because I know my family will want me to start driving a car again and even after all this time, Iím not sure Iím ready. I think cars will forever seem like huge weapons to me after what I did.

Well, I better get back to the books. Thanks for listening yíall!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,540 Times in 10,999 Posts

Oh, it's so good to hear that you're still on track! Don't worry about the driving thing - you can deal with it in a few months, or a year or whenever it becomes OK for YOU.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:50 AM

Thanked 1,454 Times in 797 Posts

DB,

Ask your Jewish friends to explain to you what a "mensch" is.

You are a mensch.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
DetentionBound (10-18-2016), DVNESSA68 (10-14-2016), sidewalker (10-13-2016)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:24 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,916 Times in 15,102 Posts

To everyone who posted in this thread with good intentions, who posted in this thread because its what we do here at PTO = Member helping member with information, support & understanding: Thank You

I'm so very sorry to tell PTO members that this account is a hoax, one of three accounts created by the same person to glean information for a book s/he's writing.

All s/he had to do was be honest. S/he had three opportunities to read PTO's policies, once with each account that was registered. Instead, s/he opted to ignore those policies and continue fraudulently posting, creating three different scenarios, one with each account. I am beyond livid that anyone would come into this community with full intentions of using PTO's members to advance their writing in the hopes of a financial gain, not once, but three times

In chronological order, oldest account first:

DetentionBound; Thread: I will be sent away soon and need advice/Updated

AmberWaves94; Thread: Going away for a year and don't know what to expect

RandomTexasGirl; Thread: I can't believe I got myself into this mess...

As members of PTO, keep doing what you do best: provide information, advice, support & understanding. You are all appreciated

...and never forget that Karma is a b-b-b-beast

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-22-2018), Sarianna (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,540 Times in 10,999 Posts

Well, shit! Another Okie!
Closed Thread