Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Arkansas that do not fit into any other Arkansas subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:44 PM

Post Tablets: Is that how they get mail, emails & pictures? Video visits?

My husband has 8yrs to do, is in crawford county jail now waiting to go.... Its a non-violent crime but he's been in prison a few times before ... He always has received good time and does good inside, I just don't understand the rules. I seen on the ADC WEBSITE. That they can get tablets now... Is that how they get their mail , emails and pictures? I also seen video visitation from home? Also is there any way of knowing where he will go? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 07:46 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,505 Times in 14,370 Posts

I know next to nothing about tablets, nor the uses for one.
(and I was even given one by my hub for Christmas....still learning what to do with it)
Ive heard that some places are allowing them but as I said, not sure what you can do with them.

I hope someone with more knowledge comes along and responds with better answers.
You could also check out the AK forums here
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Here4mylove (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,945 Times in 15,112 Posts

Here4mylove, I've moved your thread to the Arkansas forum for you

I don't know the first thing about tablets, but any mail sent snail mail (USPS) will be copied and the copy given to him:

Quote:
Effective August 21, 2017, In an effort to reduce the introduction of contraband into our facilities, inmates will only receive a copy of incoming envelopes. Inmates will only receive two sheets of 8 ½ x 11 inches of copy paper, which will include a copy of the envelope and three pieces of the correspondence on the four-sides of the two sheets of copy paper. Only black and white copies will be made, and no cards, larger size paper, or anything else will be manipulated to fit on the copy paper. Additionally, any general correspondence that exceeds these limits will be treated as contraband; the inmate will have thirty (30) days to pay for return postage or it will be destroyed. Please write all letters in dark ink only (black or blue ink), do not use pencils or yellow markers because it will reduce image quality. Please click on the examples below of ink versus pencil scan quality.
http://adc.arkansas.gov/mail-money

I see nothing on their website about email being available (jpay, etc)

For the video visits, he will need to use a Kiosk:

Quote:
The department now offers Video Visitation. Visitors must be on the inmate's approved phone or visitor list. Visitors must schedule all appointments at least 48 hours prior to start time. Visits are 30 minutes in length and will begin promptly. KIOSKs are provided for video visitation during set hours of use. All visitation rules apply, including dress code. All visits are monitored. Officers can terminate an active visit at any time. Violation of the rules will result in removal of the visitor from all visitation and phone lists.
http://adc.arkansas.gov/visitation

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Here4mylove (01-16-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 PM

The tablets provided by securustech and can be rented through PayPal for 16.00 a month. They can do things to earn points then use points to rent movies. They make phone calls in private, play games, read books, listen to news pods ECT. No email in Arkansas currently since they replaced the mp4s with the tablets but securus is adding more states rapidly and have over 25 states with e-messaging already. I suspect they will have Arkansas added anyway but no later than the end of the yr.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDeanaB View Post
The tablets provided by securustech and can be rented through PayPal for 16.00 a month. They can do things to earn points then use points to rent movies. They make phone calls in private, play games, read books, listen to news pods ECT. No email in Arkansas currently since they replaced the mp4s with the tablets but securus is adding more states rapidly and have over 25 states with e-messaging already. I suspect they will have Arkansas added anyway but no later than the end of the yr.

Actually, email is provided through Access Corrections. The Securus tablets did NOT replace the MP4/5 players. At this time, there is nothing in the works for securus to replace Access/Keefe.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 PM

Email is not a two-way communication. From the Families and Friends handbook here: https://adc.arkansas.gov/images/uplo...mily_Guide.pdf

E-mail Correspondence
E-mail may be sent to an inmate on a contracted vendor provided application. All expenses are the responsibility of the sender. E-mails received will be reviewed in each unit’s mailroom. Approved e-mails will be printed and delivered to inmates. Inmates may have access to computers because of school or work, but they do not have access to e-mail or to the Internet for unrestricted use.

It would only be a guess as to placement, it will be based on classification, custody and bed space.

Here's what Securus has to say about tablets in AR

https://securustech.net/facilities-we-serve?p_p_id=FacilitiesWeServe_WAR_friendsandfamil yportlet_INSTANCE_RsNVI2xcwRen&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p _state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-2&p_p_col_pos=1&p_p_col_count=2&_FacilitiesWeServe _WAR_friendsandfamilyportlet_INSTANCE_RsNVI2xcwRen _myaction=getSiteInfo2
Old 10-31-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chstigergyrl05 View Post
Actually, email is provided through Access Corrections. The Securus tablets did NOT replace the MP4/5 players. At this time, there is nothing in the works for securus to replace Access/Keefe.
Sorry I should have clarified. The emails are done through access corrections right now and are one way communications except for inmates already owning the mp4/mp5. But securus is gonna be taking over, in fact they already have It in most states. Once they add Arkansas The inmates can receive and send emails from their tablet. The tablets DID REPLACE the mp5s as far as it goes for anyone wanting to purchase one now. No one can purchase MP4/MP5s when i last called adc commisary main office. They stated when they made the decsion on the new provider of them and if they would go back to selling them and the keyboards they would post a memo for all inmates. So the memo was released about 6 weeks ago and stated No new orders will be taken for MP4/MP5 bc of the upcoming switch of providers from access corrections to securus. Securus is also adding videograms and snap and send(similar to Snapchat) but those two added services and the emessaging have limited availability for now.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:52 AM

E-mail Correspondence
E-mail may be sent to an inmate on a contracted vendor provided application. All expenses are the responsibility of the sender. E-mails received will be reviewed in each unit’s mailroom. Approved e-mails will be printed and delivered to inmates. Inmates may have access to computers because of school or work, but they do not have access to e-mail or to the Internet for unrestricted use.

[/quote]

Before my son was transferred from ORCU to NCU we had placed money on his books so he would be able to recieve and reply to our emails to him by sharing our credits on our access corrections acct we used to email him from. Only after I'd spoken with commissary to confirm first that at the time he would be allowed to purchase an MP4 and KEYBOARD did I load the one hundred thirty some dollars to his books that the commissary told me should cover it. So from my understanding, hed receive emails that had been prescreened by connecting the MP4 to the kiosk. Then hed use the keyboard to type his reply to the received email and take his MP4 and connect once again to the kiosk to send it. However ORCU stopped allowing the purchase of MP4s before he was able to get his order placed. So he never was able to receive anything other than a printed copy of our email and there for neither could he reply electronically. But for those with the mp4/mp5 and keyboard already they could. So that means two way communication is possible. While inmates can't purchase the equipment any longer, securus will eventually be managing email applications. Everything is screened using technology before it will become available on the inmates tablet for viewing.