Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:41 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,767 Times in 1,622 Posts
Talking Your best tips on how to walk in shoes...

Well... I bought a new pair of sneakers and they are made of leather.
Wore them yersterday even with blister-band-aids as a precaution but to no avail. The leather at the heel goes up a bit higher as usual and now I have on both sides blisters, about 1/4 inch above where regular shoes/sneakers end.

I love those sneakers but how can I wear them?
Can I make them "longer" or make the part at the heel smoother? Hit it with a hammer?
You guys must know something, some secrets, some really helpful & easy tips...
Thank you!

P.S. tried to attach a pic but didn't work but here's a link to similar ones - the heel goes up higher than normal...

https://mosaic01.ztat.net/vgs/media/...A0CT-Q11@4.jpg

Last edited by MizzyMuffling; 11-08-2018 at 02:48 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2018, 02:50 AM
RummysHunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
Wore them yersterday even with blister-band-aids as a precaution but to no avail. The leather at the heel goes up a bit higher as usual and now I have on both sides blisters, about 1/4 inch above where regular shoes/sneakers end.

Can I make them "longer" or make the part at the heel smoother? Hit it with a hammer?
Thank you!
Lol. Have you tried thicker socks? Or those little "booties" that people sometimes where with flats that won't show... Or you might just have to break 'em in.

Last edited by Hunnylisa18; 11-08-2018 at 02:52 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunnylisa18 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-08-2018), xolady (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:51 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnylisa18 View Post
Lol. Have you tried thicker socks? Or those little "booties" that people sometimes where with flats that won't show...

Yeah, I had on sneaker socks but not too thinck ones, they don't come up high enough at the heel... I don't want the socks to show much either...
Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 AM
RummysHunny

Quote:
Yeah, I had on sneaker socks but not too thinck ones, they don't come up high enough at the heel... I don't want the socks to show much either...
I understand. And just saw the pic... Nice!😀 I had a similar problem, but didn't really wanna mention what I did. I put band aids on, then the lil socks, and stepped on the back of the shoe like a ballerina. Lol. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2018, 03:06 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnylisa18 View Post
I understand. And just saw the pic... Nice!😀 I had a similar problem, but didn't really wanna mention what I did. I put band aids on, then the lil socks, and stepped on the back of the shoe like a ballerina. Lol. Good luck!

well, a friend of mine said I should pee in them/on them... did you do that???
Old 11-08-2018, 03:13 AM
RummysHunny

Quote:
well, a friend of mine said I should pee in them/on them... did you do that???
Lmao, I can't! No, but I'm curious as to what that does.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hunnylisa18 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:14 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,511 Times in 14,373 Posts

Makes em smelly and wet.

I hate to have to break in new shoes. For whatever reason, I'll get foot cramps (for lack of a better word)
My left foot....the toes hurt like crazy. And its just the *ring toe* and the middle toe.
Even if I get a wide size. Drives me crazy. Tho is mostly with my work shoes.

I dont know if it works but I see these things pop up on fb sometimes. They say to use deodorant on your foot where the shoes rub.
But judging from the style of that shoe, Im guessing that wont work.
Maybe take them to a shoe guy.....
Or maybe put something on them like mink oil/and work the back of the shoe?
I think with even socks (higher) may not make a difference. You're feet are not used to that style shoe

That's my dog's nose art

Old 11-08-2018, 04:32 AM
Donation Award 

There are "stretching sprays" out there but the funny thing is the leather is soft but that heel goes up higher and that's what hurts, really weird...

Peeing is not an option anyway
sidewalker (11-08-2018), xolady (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 05:56 AM

Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,102 Posts

They would find there way to the bottom of my shoe basket!!! Or what about lamb skin, skin protector pads? Just till they ate broken in?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 AM
Donation Award 

OH NO, I got a great deal and I'm going to wear them even if they kill me

Instead of 90€ I got them for 35€. Leather and all... I just have to only sit in them... lol
xolady (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:28 AM

Donation Award 

sitting shoes. Love it!

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:33 AM
Donation Award 

me, too :-)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Полезный дурак

I have no idea for sneakers since I am one of those silly women of a certain region that wear heels 95 % of the time. Not very sure if these ideas will apply to sneakers.

Have you bought a shoe stretcher ?? There is an accompanying spray that you spray inside the shoe. Put in the stretcher and wiggle it some few times ~ 5 until the stretcher fits snuggly / nice into the shoe. Leave it for ~ 12 hrs or only over night and the shoe will be stretched.

If you don’t want to do that, local cobblers will stretch the shoe for a small fee.

I agree with the thick socks / bandage approach. Put on thick socks and wear the new shoes around the house until they break in to your feet. This is why you can see me wearing Giuseppe Zanotti’s doing house work this week !!

You can stuff your shoes with thick [ heavy duty Ziplock or freezer bags ] full of water & put them into the freezer until frozen. Take out and let thaw but wipe off condensation as you see it form on bags. Not sure of sneakers though ... did this w leather / sparkle Loubs ... leather was fine.

You could try also to stuff your shoes with large potatoes for awhile so that the potatoes make them stretch. Put more pressure on the back for your issue.

Lastly, I have heard / experienced the pee approach too. Remember, raised in Bosnia here so people found simple ways to do things. My neighbor bought a new pair of black leather work boots - - - big investment for him - - - so he peed on them inside. Not sure of out. The acidic moisture softened the leather a lot. He dried them outside for awhile until the „ wetness ” and urine smell subsided. Yes, I touched the boots and the difference was very noticeable. But of the components of his urine [ a lot of rakija ] he probably could have softened steel ....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
mazee56 (11-08-2018), MizzyMuffling (11-08-2018), xolady (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,187 Times in 6,891 Posts

I have a pair of leather harness boots that were a ridiculously expensive gift. I love them but my heels slide up and down in them and the solution per the shoe store was to put an insole/insert in them to raise my foot up a little. Well, that would have worked but the toe box was too tight to put any additional material and my foot in there. So...enter the shower. This is what I was told to do by my soldier friend who put miles on leather boots:
Put them in the bathroom when you take a shower or better, just put them in the bathroom with the shower running so it gets all steamed up (not very eco friendly, I suppose). The steam will soften the leather and allow it to be stretched. Put on as many pairs of socks as you can and still stuff your foot down into the shoe. Wear them. They are definitely 'sitting shoes' at this point. But wear them for at least an hour. They will mold to the socked-up foot shape.

I did that and then I was able to put an insert in. I have oddly narrow heels so this happens to me a lot, I know exactly what you're describing about the back coming up high and rubbing. I've not found any good solution except lining with moleskin (which eventually gets sticky and rolls down) and lifting my heel up with an insert. Even then it's not perfect.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-08-2018), xolady (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Donation Award 

They do have inserts that just go inside the heel of the shoe.
I had some of those when I got plantar facite.....ug, that word. Heal pain.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,550 Times in 11,004 Posts

Here's what I did with all my tall riding boots - fill a bucket with hot water up past the ankles of the boots or in your case to the top of your sneakers (you don't have to pee in it), put the shoes on and stand in the hot water. About 15 minutes or until soaked well. NOW walk around in them for as long as you can tolerate.

When you're tired of that, take some Leather Therapy and oil the bejabbers out of them. The stuff is fabulous - works on horse tack, purses, any leather anywhere (except suede). Restores older leather or keeps newer leather in superb condition.
miamac (11-08-2018), MizzyMuffling (11-08-2018), sidewalker (11-08-2018), xolady (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne Plach’ View Post
I have no idea for sneakers since I am one of those silly women of a certain region that wear heels 95 % of the time. Not very sure if these ideas will apply to sneakers.

Have you bought a shoe stretcher ?? There is an accompanying spray that you spray inside the shoe. Put in the stretcher and wiggle it some few times ~ 5 until the stretcher fits snuggly / nice into the shoe. Leave it for ~ 12 hrs or only over night and the shoe will be stretched.

If you don’t want to do that, local cobblers will stretch the shoe for a small fee.

I agree with the thick socks / bandage approach. Put on thick socks and wear the new shoes around the house until they break in to your feet. This is why you can see me wearing Giuseppe Zanotti’s doing house work this week !!

You can stuff your shoes with thick [ heavy duty Ziplock or freezer bags ] full of water & put them into the freezer until frozen. Take out and let thaw but wipe off condensation as you see it form on bags. Not sure of sneakers though ... did this w leather / sparkle Loubs ... leather was fine.

You could try also to stuff your shoes with large potatoes for awhile so that the potatoes make them stretch. Put more pressure on the back for your issue.

Lastly, I have heard / experienced the pee approach too. Remember, raised in Bosnia here so people found simple ways to do things. My neighbor bought a new pair of black leather work boots - - - big investment for him - - - so he peed on them inside. Not sure of out. The acidic moisture softened the leather a lot. He dried them outside for awhile until the „ wetness ” and urine smell subsided. Yes, I touched the boots and the difference was very noticeable. But of the components of his urine [ a lot of rakija ] he probably could have softened steel ....
You are too cute!! Thank you!
No peeing inside of shoes for me no matter how great it might work.
On my way home from work I stopped by the equivalent of your CVS here at home and bought a ton of blister band-aids plus some other stuff some colleagues recommended to me during the day (my complaining was loud & visible)
But I hardly wear heels, I'd break my neck....
Ne Plach’ (11-08-2018), sidewalker (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I have a pair of leather harness boots that were a ridiculously expensive gift. I love them but my heels slide up and down in them and the solution per the shoe store was to put an insole/insert in them to raise my foot up a little. Well, that would have worked but the toe box was too tight to put any additional material and my foot in there. So...enter the shower. This is what I was told to do by my soldier friend who put miles on leather boots:
Put them in the bathroom when you take a shower or better, just put them in the bathroom with the shower running so it gets all steamed up (not very eco friendly, I suppose). The steam will soften the leather and allow it to be stretched. Put on as many pairs of socks as you can and still stuff your foot down into the shoe. Wear them. They are definitely 'sitting shoes' at this point. But wear them for at least an hour. They will mold to the socked-up foot shape.

I did that and then I was able to put an insert in. I have oddly narrow heels so this happens to me a lot, I know exactly what you're describing about the back coming up high and rubbing. I've not found any good solution except lining with moleskin (which eventually gets sticky and rolls down) and lifting my heel up with an insert. Even then it's not perfect.

Good luck!
That tipp was given to me as well. Or even put them in the freezer overnight and put them on with extra socks the next day (but you can blow-dry them before a bit before you get frost bites )
Thank you!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Here's what I did with all my tall riding boots - fill a bucket with hot water up past the ankles of the boots or in your case to the top of your sneakers (you don't have to pee in it), put the shoes on and stand in the hot water. About 15 minutes or until soaked well. NOW walk around in them for as long as you can tolerate.

When you're tired of that, take some Leather Therapy and oil the bejabbers out of them. The stuff is fabulous - works on horse tack, purses, any leather anywhere (except suede). Restores older leather or keeps newer leather in superb condition.
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh... thank you!!!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Полезный дурак

Quote:
On my way home from work I stopped by the equivalent of your CVS here at home and bought a ton of blister band-aids plus some other stuff some colleagues recommended to me during the day (my complaining was loud & visible)
Did you go to dm - drogerie markt ? I used to waste so much time in those stores !!

I am unsure how pee always becomes a solution [ no pun meant ] to so many things. Such as camel pee for great hair ....
The Following User Says Thank You to Ne Plach’ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:00 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Did you go to dm - drogerie markt ? I used to waste so much time in those stores !!

I am unsure how pee always becomes a solution [ no pun meant ] to so many things. Such as camel pee for great hair ....

Yeah I did!
Ne Plach’ (11-08-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Thank you!

P.S. tried to attach a pic but didn't work but here's a link to similar ones - the heel goes up higher than normal...

https://mosaic01.ztat.net/vgs/media/...A0CT-Q11@4.jpg
Leather stretches get some shoe stretchers and spray the shoes with water put the stretcher in the shoe overnight
The Following User Says Thank You to upsetspouse For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,102 Posts

Quote:

I must admit I have never heard of camel pee for hair!!!LMAO I wouldn't even know where one could purchase camel pee??? I've heard human pee for taking the sting out of bug bites and jelly fish stings. (cute story) Years ago my nephew over hear me and sis talking about getting stung by man of war helly fish and how pee takes the sting out. Well next thing we know my nephew who was about 3yrs old is whipping it out running from beached jelly fish to jelly fish peeing on them. We couldn't stop him we were laughing so hard he stopped when he couldn't pee any more!! Just the funniest thing ever all we have to do is say jelly fish and we crack up!!!LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-09-2018), Ne Plach’ (11-10-2018), sidewalker (11-11-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,252 Posts

Nothing to add, but this thread is epic!

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 PM
Billy's Sweetheart

Every time my Daddy bought us new boots he had us put them on with 2-3 pair of socks and walk in the creek until they were soaked , then wear them all day. The leather would mold to your foot and the boot retained that shape and they were always really comfortable after that, but i'm not sure if it would work for sneakers??