Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:41 PM

Default Can an inmate request to go to a Faith-based character prison?

Can an inmate request to go to a faith-based prison? Are SO's prohibited?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2018, 05:52 PM

I’ve never heard of a faith based prison. Please tell me about this! Thank You!

OWL
Old 10-25-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
I’ve never heard of a faith based prison. Please tell me about this! Thank You!
944.803 Faith- and character-based programs.—

(1) The Legislature finds and declares that faith- and character-based programs offered in state and private correctional institutions and facilities have the potential to facilitate inmate institutional adjustment, help inmates assume personal responsibility, and reduce recidivism.

(2) It is the intent of the Legislature that the department expand the faith- and character-based initiative through the use of faith- and character-based institutions. The department is encouraged to phase out the faith-based and self improvement dormitory programs and move toward the goal of only implementing faith- and character-based institutions. The department is also encouraged to dedicate and maintain faith- and character-based institutions that serve both male and female inmates at their respective institutions.

(3) It is the intent of the Legislature that the department and the private vendors operating private correctional facilities continuously:

(a) Measure recidivism rates for inmates who have participated in faith- and character-based programs.

(b) Increase the number of volunteers who minister to inmates from various faith-based and secular institutions in the community.

(c) Develop community linkages with secular institutions as well as churches, synagogues, mosques, and other faith-based institutions to assist inmates in their release back into the community.

(4)(a) The department shall ensure that an inmate’s faith orientation, or lack thereof, will not be considered in determining admission to a faith- and character-based program and that the program does not attempt to convert an inmate toward a particular faith or religious preference.

(b) The programs shall operate 24 hours a day within the existing correctional facilities and must emphasize the importance of personal responsibility, meaningful work, education, substance abuse treatment, and peer support.

(c) Participation in a program shall be voluntary. Assignment to a program shall be based on evaluation and the length of time the inmate is projected to be assigned to that particular institution. The department may not remove an inmate once assigned to a program except for the purposes of population management, for inmate conduct that may subject the inmate to disciplinary confinement or loss of gain-time, for physical or mental health concerns, or for security or safety concerns.

(5) The department shall ensure that any faith component of any program authorized in this chapter is offered on a voluntary basis and an offender’s faith orientation, or lack thereof, will not be considered in determining admission to such a program and that the program does not attempt to convert an offender toward a particular faith or religious preference.

(6) Within faith- and character-based institutions of the state correctional system, peer-to-peer programming shall be offered, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, literacy instruction, and other activities.

(7) The department shall ensure that state funds are not expended for the purpose of furthering religious indoctrination, but rather, that state funds are expended for purposes of furthering the secular goals of criminal rehabilitation, the successful reintegration of offenders into the community, and the reduction of recidivism.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:16 PM

I hope someone comes along that knows something about this, as the inmates usually get Christian based services on Sundays, but other religions really get cheated in my opinion, the Chaplin’s are paid COs

OWL
Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshardtowait View Post
I hope someone comes along that knows something about this, as the inmates usually get Christian based services on Sundays, but other religions really get cheated in my opinion, the Chaplin’s are paid COs
I know.....wow I didn't know that about the chaplains...figures!! I'm continuing to research, I'll share my results if I find anything. All the info about the faith- based prisons are old articles...
Old 10-26-2018, 11:59 AM

I dont think they do it by facility anymore. There are programs at many facilities now, they have a dorm. It is a 3 month program you ask your classification officer for an application. My son is a facilitator as well as an ITA. So you can ask any questions and i will get them answered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (10-26-2018), xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 12:03 PM

Itshardtowait, there are services for other religions,they are usually self directed and they can have meetings with their outside sponsors. They have to register with the chaplain to be on the callouts.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:18 PM

Some COs at Prisons do not like other faiths, and I have been told that they forget to call out the persons of these faiths when a Spiritual adviser comes to hold services. Is it only a Florida that has these 3 month programs? What demonation is it?

OWL
Old 10-26-2018, 08:56 PM

From what i know callouts are posted and one you are on the list snd going to your services you know what special visits are planned.

The program is charector building more than a specific faith. There are a lot of Christians where my son is but he is not he continues to go for his callouts and just doesnt paticipate when they have prayer meetings. He gets along fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
xolady (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:37 AM

I am a Christian, raised in a Southern Baptist home, my son has always been a Christian. But the only services that are offered are Baptist type Christian services on Sundays, as he is in FMC Springfield located in the Bible Belt, the rest are pretty much out of luck, it’s very hit and miss with the Jewish, Catholic and other religious beliefs, and I don’t think it is fair for those religions. The only religious ceremonies that are guaranteed is Native American Sweat Lodges and yes the Feds supply the tobacco for their ceremonies, which I’m fine with at least they are receiving their choice of religious freedom. There was a Jehovoah Witness Minister there when I went to visit my son, I struck up a conversation and he said he can only come when the Prison lets him, which was not often. I really don’t think the Federal Prisons are big on spiritual freedoms, just my opinion.

OWL
The Following User Says Thank You to Itshardtowait For This Useful Post:
Friend in Jail (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 10:48 AM

I dont know for sure but think the Feds are better than the State. Have you tried to contact someone who can visit him and organize services with the chaplain.

This is the Florida state forum and i know a lot of the religious things like dietary have only been won by lawsuits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie's Mom For This Useful Post:
mareetee60$ (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:37 PM

My son is Baptist, so he gets a lot of Religious services, I have just read on here that in Federal and State facilitates, a lot of other religions are overlooked, I think it’s wrong, and yes FEDs provide religious meals, if they are requested

OWL
Old 10-27-2018, 03:37 PM

Does anyone know if the FL DOC separate SO's (especially younger ones) from the general population?
My 19 year old is terrified. First arrest, first everything for us...I am beside myself with worry.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:57 AM

Not as far as i know....they are in gen pop.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Oh my gosh...that's so frightening! Thanks for lettong me know
Old 10-28-2018, 02:21 PM

My friend is JW and his religious services are cancelled often. The JW leader will come out to the prison and will be told it's canceled and never given a reason. It definitely seems retaliatory.

As for SO...they are not segregated. They are in gen pop. Tell him to keep his mouth shut and head down and he should be ok.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:50 PM

Okay, I'll tell him. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:13 AM

Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareetee60$ View Post
Does anyone know if the FL DOC separate SO's (especially younger ones) from the general population?
My 19 year old is terrified. First arrest, first everything for us...I am beside myself with worry.
Avon Park used to be mostly SO's. It was one of the better places and had a huge amount of programs. I don't know if this is still true.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:46 AM

Oh that's promising..I need to have some hope that he will be somewhat "safe".
Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to mareetee60$ For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mom View Post
I dont think they do it by facility anymore. There are programs at many facilities now, they have a dorm. It is a 3 month program you ask your classification officer for an application. My son is a facilitator as well as an ITA. So you can ask any questions and i will get them answered.
Hi there..thanks for that information. My son just asked me if he is at a faith-based prison or in a program can he stay at that facility permanently? I think I read that inmates are moved at any time and often...do you know if that is true? He unfortuneately has a very long sentence, so I'm sure things will change a lot in the years ahead.
Thanks for any input and information you can give me...first time dealing with prison. Very scary to say the least.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Hi there..thanks for that information. My son just asked me if he is at a faith-based prison or in a program can he stay at that facility permanently? I think I read that inmates are moved at any time and often...do you know if that is true? He unfortuneately has a very long sentence, so I'm sure things will change a lot in the years ahead.
Thanks for any input and information you can give me...first time dealing with prison. Very scary to say the least.
How did your son go about being a facilitator and an ITA? That's such a good thing! Does that help him to be able to stay in the same facility?
Thanks again for your help and advice!
Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
How did your son go about being a facilitator and an ITA? That's such a good thing! Does that help him to be able to stay in the same facility?
Thanks again for your help and advice!
Also, do facilitators in a faith-based help teach religious classes or just secular? My son keeps asking me about it. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:20 AM

Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,102 Posts

Quote:
Also, do facilitators in a faith-based help teach religious classes or just secular? My son keeps asking me about it. Thanks in advance!
I think these things are dependent on what facility it is at. Also thing always vary from facility to facility that is the one thing you can expect when changing facilities!!!LOL
Old 11-08-2018, 06:25 PM

My son will most likely be transferred very soon to SFRC. I'm told they come in about 3am and take them. We think it will be tomorrow morning...such fear and anxiety for both of us. I wish I knew what was going to happen when he gets there. I am literally shaking and sick I'm so scared for him. He is trying to stay positive and has been asking me a lot of questions. Who qualifies for Honor Camp? How does someone become an ITA? How does someone become a facilitator? How do you get into a faith-based program?
I realize these are things that would be way down the road, but, I'm glad he has a goal. He has to hang onto something. Thanks for helping me!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 PM

What a great idea. In fact they out to fund churches to run prison facilities. No one deserves to be locked up like an animal.