Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New York that do not fit into any other New York sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:05 AM

Default Shock program help

Hi Im new to this forum and not sure if Im putting this question in the right category. My boyfriend is now in Downstate NY since nov 15 , still waiting to see where hes supposed to be sent for the rest of his time in . Hes sentenced to 1 1/2 - 3 for a class E non violent felony. He had heard about the shock program and had asked his court appointed useless attorney about it but never got anywhere with the guy . So hes in jail now and still wants to see if he can do that program. He committed his crime at the age of 49 and just turned 50. From what I see online he was in th age range of admittance to the program. Is there a way to apply? Once you are in there? Or did that have to be something the lawyer and court had to have worked out in his original sentencing? A guy in his dorm is getting shipped out today and he is 54 and is being sent to do shock alternative due to some health issues, but he told my boyfriend it was in his court sentence. So now hes worried since hes already in the prison he cant try for shock. Has anyone had any experience with this program?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2020, 07:59 AM
Crazy Cajun Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,738 Times in 7,635 Posts

Hello and Welcome to PTO! I moved your post here to the New York forum where you can probably get a better answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Shlivingston73 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 09:10 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,222 Times in 13,891 Posts

Here's a link to an 11 page NY "shock program" newsletter from the National Institute of Justice that discusses "Eligibility and Selection".
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/shockny.pdf
Old 12-28-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlivingston73 View Post
Hi Im new to this forum and not sure if Im putting this question in the right category. My boyfriend is now in Downstate NY since nov 15 , still waiting to see where hes supposed to be sent for the rest of his time in . Hes sentenced to 1 1/2 - 3 for a class E non violent felony. He had heard about the shock program and had asked his court appointed useless attorney about it but never got anywhere with the guy . So hes in jail now and still wants to see if he can do that program. He committed his crime at the age of 49 and just turned 50. From what I see online he was in th age range of admittance to the program. Is there a way to apply? Once you are in there? Or did that have to be something the lawyer and court had to have worked out in his original sentencing? A guy in his dorm is getting shipped out today and he is 54 and is being sent to do shock alternative due to some health issues, but he told my boyfriend it was in his court sentence. So now hes worried since hes already in the prison he cant try for shock. Has anyone had any experience with this program?
Dont no much about shock but maybe he can ask his counselor about the program they are the ones that contact albany to where he will be going just a thought good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to ambermarshall11 For This Useful Post:
Shlivingston73 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 11:56 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,862 Times in 2,293 Posts

All inmates are screened for Shock at reception. When he meets with his counselor, he will find out if he is eligible. Some crimes or past violent crimes can exclude them from participating.

Mine went but was medically excused from the program (around the same age as well). It is boot camp and it is hard. If he has any medical issues, I wouldn't get too hopeful about it.

Judges and lawyers do not make the shock determination.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (12-28-2020), Shlivingston73 (12-29-2020)