Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Carswell Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Carswell Federal Prisons Topics & Discussions relating to Carswell Federal Prison Camp and Carswell Federal Medical Center located on the Carswell Air Force Base at Fort Worth, Texas.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Default Carswell, TX need info

I am awaiting SS for a mail fraud conviction (27 mos). I had assumed that I'd be going to a women's camp. Concerned that I had not yet received my letter of designation, I contacted my local office of the US Marshals. I was told that my designation was "on hold" for "medical reasons". I assume this means I am going to be assigned to a medical facility. I have the early stages of cervical cancer, chronic migraines, Irritable Bowl Syndrome, and depression. From what I can find on bop.gov the only medical facility for women is at Carswell, TX. Can anyone give me more information on this facility? Dorms or cells? security? What are the chances that I'd be reassigned to a camp after treatment is completed? Thanks for any info you can give.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,325 Times in 13,659 Posts

I have moved your threa here to the Federal sub-forum for that facility. Have a safe & speedy journey....and please let us know when you are Home
Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2jes View Post
I am awaiting SS for a mail fraud conviction (27 mos). I had assumed that I'd be going to a women's camp. Concerned that I had not yet received my letter of designation, I contacted my local office of the US Marshals. I was told that my designation was "on hold" for "medical reasons". I assume this means I am going to be assigned to a medical facility. I have the early stages of cervical cancer, chronic migraines, Irritable Bowl Syndrome, and depression. From what I can find on bop.gov the only medical facility for women is at Carswell, TX. Can anyone give me more information on this facility? Dorms or cells? security? What are the chances that I'd be reassigned to a camp after treatment is completed? Thanks for any info you can give.
I was at Carswell for 3 yrs, I worked as a Inmate Nurses Assistant while there. This hospital is run by mostly navy personel. It has alot of problem just like most gov. ran institutions but also have very good Drs and nurses.
The hospital inmate housing is alot like any other hospital with anywhere from 2-8 people per room. This is seperate from the regular population. The hospital only houses medical and mental inmates, it is alot less populated. Seems to be alot less stressful.
As for going to camp next door after treatment, seems like it was always big hassle. hopefully you will have a good counselor to help with paper work.
I met alot of good people there, if this is your first time locked up it's not that bad. Stay focused, use it as "me" time, and it will go by fast.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammy l For This Useful Post:
cgaines (04-19-2015), Dragonfly Hazel (07-09-2013), fbopnomore (05-02-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM

I too am waiting for designation to Carswell. Have you gotten your SS date yet? Can I ask how long it took for you to get your designation after you were convicted? I am trying to find out how much time I have before I will have to report. Any information you can share would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:20 AM

UPDATE: I was sentenced March 22 and as of today (July 6) I am still waiting for my designation. I'm in weekly contact with Pretrial Services and have called the Marshals several times. Everyone tells me its on hold for a medical facility. This is torture!
The Following User Says Thank You to connect2jes For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-06-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2jes View Post
you must learn to use your parents to call the central office-they are not a good medical operations,lots of cancelled appointmentss
Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy l View Post
I was at Carswell for 3 yrs, I worked as a Inmate Nurses Assistant while there. This hospital is run by mostly navy personel. It has alot of problem just like most gov. ran institutions but also have very good Drs and nurses.
The hospital inmate housing is alot like any other hospital with anywhere from 2-8 people per room. This is seperate from the regular population. The hospital only houses medical and mental inmates, it is alot less populated. Seems to be alot less stressful.
As for going to camp next door after treatment, seems like it was always big hassle. hopefully you will have a good counselor to help with paper work.
I met alot of good people there, if this is your first time locked up it's not that bad. Stay focused, use it as "me" time, and it will go by fast.
You should have told her the truth about the deaths that have happened there-I worked there as an staff member-some of the doctors did not care.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossjailer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2014)
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM

well I guess I spoke too soon. I just today got my letter. Am going to Carswell on July 18th. Wish me luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to connect2jes For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2014)
Old 07-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Im headed to Carswell thursday july 19th what should i expect. and i have no medical problems so didnt understand why i had to go there
Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM

The camp of Carswell is not too bad however I've only been on the visiting side. This is according to my sister. There are about 5 girls to a motel-type room. You will have a view of the lake as well.
Still it is a hassle to go as a visitor. Takes at least an hour to get through. First there is a line to get to the guard, then drive to main building and wait and wait and then go to the camp side.
It will be over before you know it!

Help me, Lord, to remember that religion is not to be confined to the church... nor exercised only in prayer and meditation, but that everywhere I am in Thy Presence.
-- Susanna Wesley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sis of sis For This Useful Post:
dcrc50 (11-14-2014), fbopnomore (11-24-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:17 PM

Thanks Tammy for the info,,,Hope everyone comes back and gives updates too of there stay at the bop
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 AM

Is Carswell just for medical and if not how long before a transfer can be requested?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,194 Times in 10,379 Posts

You can request a voluntary transfer from any bop prison after 18 months of clear conduct. Requesting does not always result in a move to another prison though.

I was at FMC Butner, and the camp (and the other FCI prisons there) had very little to do with the medical center. Every federal prison has a cadre of workers. In FCI's they are generally regular inmates, but in specialized prisons, FMC, FDC, whatever, a group of inmates are designated there just to do housekeeping, lawn maintenance, visiting room orderly, etc. jobs.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Thank you for the info. I am scheduled to SS on January 20th 2015 with a 54 month sentence. I am having a really hard time with it because my mom is 92 and not sure she can survive this. All the info on here has been really helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to leeceenm For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM

You might be going to camp leeceenm which ive been told is across the street from the big medical prison...However you may have to report into the big prison then be taking over to the camp prison...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcrc50 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-24-2014), leeceenm (11-25-2014)
Old 04-19-2015, 06:08 PM

Does anyone know, the medical center is set up, (rooms, duties for inmates, etc.)?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 PM

cgaines ,,,I researched and talk to alot of people that has been there since i thought i might go there but am not,,,Anyway usually 4 to a room...Control movement,,,Locked in buidling at night but not rooms,,Able to go out side walk track,,tHEY SAY FOODS NOT BAD,,,Air conditioning,,,Might check out www.bop.gov tells you alot of info about camp there and the fmc both,,,
Old 04-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Default Carswell

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if there are jobs for the inmates such as in a salon if they have one and is it set up like a hospital?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:36 PM

cgaines The FMC medical /big prison yes has cosmetology ..Not everyone that is at the bigger prison is there for medical reasons,,,might read dragonflyhazel blog she write just about everyday the daily life at Carswell...
Old 04-20-2015, 05:37 PM

Ive been told that the FMC Does look something like a hospital ,,but the camp is a old motel 6 ,,,