Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Carswell Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Carswell Federal Prisons Topics & Discussions relating to Carswell Federal Prison Camp and Carswell Federal Medical Center located on the Carswell Air Force Base at Fort Worth, Texas.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Account Closed

Default My letters are being returned as Unauthorised mail ?

Hey everyone, I joined up just to ask this question because I have a problem that has been so frustrating...

2 times now I've had letters returned to me marked as "unauthorized mail" from Carswell FMC. They did not even open the letters to inspect them or anything, just crossed out the address and wrote "CW" in pen above it. There are two stamped marks as well. One that says "inmate to inmate communication is not allowed" and another that gives a list of reason for the rejection, and "unauthorized mail" was checked off.

I don't understand why my letters keep getting rejected as "unauthorized". I'm not writing from a prison, so its clearly not inmate to inmate mail. The letters both were in ordinary business envelopes, 2 hand written pages with 3 photos, so not over any weight limit (1 ounce?) nothing out of the ordinary, no contraband, no provocative content or images.

I am writing from another country though, could that be why they are getting rejected?

I read the whole document on the federal system's website relating to mail guidelines, and it doesn't give any indication of what I'm doing wrong.

Are the mail room people at Carswell just mean spirited or something? Anyone else have problems with mail too?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2016, 01:32 PM

If you are currently on probation or parole, have been recently released and the records haven't been updated, or if you currently have charges pending...any of those things could be the issue. Some facilities run the name before the mail is even opened and looked at for contraband.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dez View Post
If you are currently on probation or parole, have been recently released and the records haven't been updated, or if you currently have charges pending...any of those things could be the issue. Some facilities run the name before the mail is even opened and looked at for contraband.

No, never been in prison. Never even arrested. And besides, I live in another country. That can't be it.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:38 PM

Well, I'm stumped then. Maybe you could call the facility and see why it's getting returned. For some facilities, you have to be on an approved list before you can write to them or have them call you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin Dave View Post
No, never been in prison. Never even arrested. And besides, I live in another country. That can't be it.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,807 Times in 1,439 Posts

May I ask how you are addressing them? Please don't use your personal info, but that may have something to do with it as well.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmazingMrsB View Post
May I ask how you are addressing them? Please don't use your personal info, but that may have something to do with it as well.

My full name and address in the top left corner.

In the middle of the envelope:

Inmate Name #00000-000
Carswell FMC Camp
PO Box 27137
Ft. Worth, TX 76127 USA
Old 04-08-2016, 02:20 PM

As long as you have put your info and his on the envelope there should be no reason for them to not allow it. I would call them and ask to be put through to the mail room and they should be able to help you..good luck hope you get it sorted.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Mischief Makin' Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,807 Times in 1,439 Posts

I was looking on the BOP website and could not find anything that would give an idea as to why.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

Maybe it has to do with the inmate him/herself? Or the crime for which he/she is convicted? That prohibits contact overseas?

ETA: but I agree, best to call the mailroom
Old 04-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,194 Times in 10,379 Posts

She needs to ask her inmate counselor, or go to the mailroom during their "open house" hours to find out why. If you aren't able to contact her, that is a problem. There is an email address listed for the Carswell executive assistant listed on the bop web page, so you could ask there.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/crw/