Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Washington that do not fit into any other Washington sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanked 1,456 Times in 798 Posts
Default Things citizens can do to improve prisons

@WA_CCO gave me the idea for this thread by mentioning
Quote:
Meanwhile, the state struggles to fund officer safety programs.
I want to add that to my to-do list. I hate thuggery and injustice, everywhere they come from, for everyone they hurt. When someone gets strangled with a microphone cord in an institution I pay for _after_ repeated requests for more cameras, I am angry.

Since this is an inmate and inmate family support forum I'll bring up that a C/O who doesn't feel abandoned to the wolves can do a better job for the inmates. Maybe Ricardo Meija would be alive if the officers supervising him had not had to spend every second thinking about whether he'd attack them like he did all those citizens on the outside. (In fact I kind of expect that he did).

Understaffing, for another example, can kill anyone who's inside the walls.

So first question, what are a couple of high priority things to write to my legislators about that would improve officer safety?

Second question, open to everybody, what can we do to make things better? The medical system needs work. Does anyone know of legislation pending to fix it? What else?

Especially I'm talking to anyone from Woodinville, Sammammish, Duvall, and North Redmond. You're in Manka Dhingra's Senate district. She's the new vice chair of the corrections committee and is a hard worker with vision. Send her your ideas. You get her attention, she gets things done.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Default The Great Courses

I would recommend citizens sponsor some convicts with beneficial knowledge. My cellie was a lifer and used to take our cell 2 hours daily in the mornings to learn various courses. It was always a big even for him to pick his newest course once he finished one. He was filled with vision, insight and depth that he would always share as we walked the yard. Her is a link to the courses he took www thegreatcourses com

I hope that helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jersey Joe For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-04-2018), Scott (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,720 Times in 2,703 Posts

I was just thinking about this the other day. The state pays foster parents for each child they take in. Why not have "foster outmates" who get paid a small stipend, get vetted like foster parents (or visitors). The Foster Outmate's role is to regularly write the inmate supportive or chatty letters, and occasionally send them something like books or magazines or subscriptions to things the inmate might be interested in. Or at least show a little interest in the inmate.

"Happy" inmates are far less likely to be problem inmates. Inmates who have no support network, no one who seems to care about them, no one to hold them accountable for their behavior, no one who worries about them should they not hear from them... this is a recipe for a "no one cares about me, so why should I care about me" attitude which is not going to turn out well.

The state stipend wouldn't have to be much, maybe enough money to cover the cost of paper, toner, and mailing expenses. The goal would be to give every inmate a "foster outmate" and fosters could foster more than one inmate at a time. So say the stipend is $25/month, if one sponsored 4 inmates, they'd get $100/month. And the inmate would get someone on the outside to talk to. I know of far too many inmates who have no one on the outside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Jersey Joe (02-05-2018), Minor activist (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Thanked 1,456 Times in 798 Posts

> a "no one cares about me, so why should I care about me" attitude

It's maybe off topic but that reminds me of a story.

I heard this from a returned citizen speaking at a meeting. He was in a room with an outside education volunteer. Other inmates asked nosy questions about how far she was driving and how much she paid in ferry fares and so on. She chose to answer, and this guy listened, and the question grew in his mind until he had to answer it:

If this total stranger cares enough to invest this much then shouldn't I care enough about myself to fix my life?
GingerM (02-05-2018), Jersey Joe (02-05-2018)