Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:12 PM

Unhappy Tarrant County Jail - Fort Worth

Does anyone know if there is a source to complain about conditions or treatment at a county jail? My son is in Tarrant County and he is disabled from a traumatic brain injury and has a lot of emotional problems. He is taking antipsychotic drugs so they placed him in the mental health unit. They keeped them locked up like animals in that unit and they get out for an hour about every 3 or 4 hours. He is already mentally stressed and he said he is losing his mind further. They won't even let him get a haircut and he has been in there for 4 months. I called the mental health office there and they said they can't give him a haircut because they don't know if he will attack them. He has a brain injury but is not violent or dangerous. It is so inhumane - they are killing him every day and they sweettalked him into accepting 5 years in prison, which he is awaiting transfer. It has nearly devastated his dad and I. Any suggestions, and thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2006, 07:01 AM

brenokie, my hubby was in Tarrant County and he was so glad when he was moved to TDCJ. I would work the chain of command up through the Sheriff, county commissioners and if you have to, possibly contact Bob Ray Sanders at the Ft. Worth Star Telegram.

Hopefully, your son will be moved soon. My hubby was moved right at the 30 day mark to TDCJ.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 PM
going crazy without him

brenokie, I don't have any suggestions but I do agree with you about how they treat people at Tarrant County. My boyfriend was there from 9/15-9/21 before they transferred him to Hutchins. When I went to visit them, they were even rude to me downstairs! I hope your son gets transferred soon!

Whoever said "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" was totally right.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM

Wow, I never had any trouble at Tarrant County Jail. The guards were always pleasant and helpful downtown and out at Green Bay. My hubby had no problems there ever. Sorry to hear that some have such bad experiences.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM

My uncle is there right now and he had serious surgery and they were refusing to give him his medication. He needed it immediately and last I heard they were working on 3 days without it. Ughhhhhhhh. I mean if someone needs medication, they NEED it.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Tarrant County Jail

Tarrant County Jail is horrible, my son is there, and he's been sitting there for 5 months waiting to go to court, and he also is on a hall that is for people that have commited assaults, and is in a red suit, and comes out 1 time a day, or night, for 30 minutes, to 1 hr., and it could be at any time, including 3:00 am. They treat him as if he were an animal, and they sometimes video tape us when we have a visit, which I thought was illegal. I've heard prison is better that here, and also the more you complain, the more your loved one gets into trouble with the guards. The guards hit the inmates, and abuse them, and there's nothing you can do. I've tried getting help everywhere, but no one will help me, so all i do is pray, and ask God to be with my Son. God bless all of you that have loved one's locked up, we all must stick together.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Mom of an EX-Inmate

Hey bettyboopksr, my daughter was at TC in 2005 and yes it is horrible and yes she says it was worse than prison as she was in TDCJ for 15 months, including SAFP which was pretty bad during some phases. While in Tarrant County, upon arrival she had a severe panic attack and could not breath and she was crying so hard trying to tell them she felt like she was going to die, well they took that as a statement that she wanted to die ( a threat) and put her in solitaire confinement for five days! The horrible part of that was that the cell was very cold, steel bed, no pad, no blanket, no pillow of course, no NOTHING and she was stark naked for the first 3 days! When we went to visit they gave her a paper jump suit type thing to wear for visit and then they let her keep that on for the next two days. Also during shower time she was supervised by MALE guards. Plenty of female guards there, but the male guards watched them and laughed at them, out loud while they were showering. The cell next to my daughter housed a severely retarded wild woman who through her feces all over the area and it would fly into my daughters cell - they finally put up some type of plexiglass walls so it would not get on my daughter as they could not stop the wild woman from doing this. Once she got out of solitaire confinement it wasn't quite as bad but she was distraught the entire month she stayed there from her experience the first five days. She was ready when she pulled chain to TDCJ.

I will keep your son and you in my prayers!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:38 AM

Pami-how was other inmate throwing feces to your childs cell?
Solitary is solitary.... (solitaire is a card game)

I was in tarrant county for 6 months before going to TDC for 6 mos.

Male guards DO NOT watch women shower!!!!

I know its hard to think about but your children who r in jail r not there because they r good samaritans....maybe u arent getting the exact truth....

Last edited by bntherednthat; 06-16-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Old 06-30-2007, 04:59 PM
I am so happy.....FINALLY

my husband is currently in greenbay waiting to get transferred to tdjc...he has not had problems either. i am so sorry for those of you that have had issues...i hope that you got it sorted because this post was a while ago

"God blessed the broken road that lead me straight to your love"

Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 PM

Dallas county does the same if u are entered as a phyc inmate, u are locked down 23 to 24 hours a day and normally drugged. When I was violated the last time i made the mistake of telling them i was on antidepressants. The solitary will make u go crazy even if u arnt. I will never make that mistake again, NEVER tell them u have any problems unless u have too, or u want to be locked down.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 PM

My boyfriend is at the Green Bay unit, and hasn't had any problems at all. He said they wake him up at 4:30 AM for breakfast, lunch is at 11:30 AM, and dinner is at 4:30 PM. Aside from those three times of the day, he's left alone to entertain himself. But from the previous posts, it seems the other units are the problem. I'm really sorry to hear about those of you whose loved ones are having to deal with any issues.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM

The male CO's DO NOT watch the females...Co females are allowed to work the male pods but the male CO's are not allowed to work with the women. Not sure who told u that a male guard watched ur daughter shower but i find that VERY highly unlikely
Old 09-09-2009, 02:33 AM

The Tarrant County Jail system has to be doing something right for they are the only large scale jail in the state to pass jail inspection this year... and for the past 16. If you are placed in the MHMR observation pod that has rotation it is due to the fact that you pose a threat to yourself or others or could be assaultive towards medical staff or law enforcement staff. They have trained psychiatrists that take care of the inmates. The entire jail stays between 65 and 78 degrees due to jail standards.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 PM

Okay first off, I was in Tarrant County Jail (both the new, old, and reeeallly old jail) and yes, the male guards do in fact work on the female floors.

There is a plastic curtain across the opening to the shower though, so I don't know how they could watch unless you don't close the curtain. Or I guess, if you're on suicide watch, maybe they wouldn't have a curtain there?

There is no real "solitary confinement" so to speak, in Tarrant County. You go into a cell in the old jail, and you are simply not let out of your cell unless it is your turn to shower or make a phone call. When you go into each cell pod in the newest part of the old jail, there is a long, narrow room, called a "day room" and a row of cells down both sides of the room. When I was there, this is where suicide watches, MHHR, and assaultive folks were kept. The cells on each side mirror each other, so the doors are exactly across the room from each other. Therefore, if a person housed directly across the day room should take a mind to throw feces out the bars of their door, well, it will definitely fly straight into your cell unless the guards put the plastic barrier over the offending inmate's cell door.

Last edited by sweetfreedom; 11-22-2009 at 10:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetfreedom For This Useful Post:
catwoman1314 (12-15-2009)
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 PM

When exactly were you housed in Tarrant County? I worked the Lamar facility and never once did i see a male officer working the womens pods. Many women working the mens pods as i also worked other pods. The rotation pods at lamar are also not as you speak of. There are no "bars" on the cells it is doors so if someone is to decide to throw feces it is comin back on them.

This may be how it was at other tarrant county facilities but at lamar this was not how it was.

Last edited by ExCountyWrkr; 12-14-2009 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Missed a letter