Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:07 PM

Default Education interview??

So my husband parole in september. he’s on his 11th year, discharges 12/21. He got voted for the 6R program. He’s down cognitive and something else years ago. and he has no drug charges. He was supposed to be moved to gist or hamilton in january but hasn’t. they are backed up in the program big time. and the lady said the new class starts july. they have until then to have him moved. but three other guys in the pod with him got a 6r & was supposed to be moved in december but they weren’t so they brought them in again cause they wrote i60 and asked for a different vote. they were granted to come home. so my husband does that, and he gets a lay in last night saying “education interview” what could this be?? another guy that has to do changes they didn’t give him that lay in so that’s the only educational thing they could try to have him do
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2020, 04:29 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,279 Times in 1,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariaseals94 View Post
So my husband parole in september. he’s on his 11th year, discharges 12/21. He got voted for the 6R program. He’s down cognitive and something else years ago. and he has no drug charges. He was supposed to be moved to gist or hamilton in january but hasn’t. they are backed up in the program big time. and the lady said the new class starts july. they have until then to have him moved. but three other guys in the pod with him got a 6r & was supposed to be moved in december but they weren’t so they brought them in again cause they wrote i60 and asked for a different vote. they were granted to come home. so my husband does that, and he gets a lay in last night saying “education interview” what could this be?? another guy that has to do changes they didn’t give him that lay in so that’s the only educational thing they could try to have him do
I would think if it's an education lay in it's to do with something like the Changes class. FI 6R is often a lengthy and time consuming hoop to jump through in order to get out. They may revote and they may not. If he long way discharges by X Mas of next year then, they've got their eye on him in terms of keeping up with what needs to be done. The Changes Class is often the only thing done when someone gets out on an FI-3R or FI-4R. It may be that the board wants him to take Changes because he hasn't taken the class yet, quite possibly. It may be that they want the Changes Class in progress so in the event his FI -6R is changed to something that'll get him home sooner once the class is out of the way. At this point, all that is hypothetical. About the only thing for sure is that he made parole and will get out, but the "when part of it" is uncertain and with an FI-6R it's like that. Very frustrating for a lot of guys who know they're going home and then, have to sit around and play the waiting game. It's hard on them, it really is. It's stressful when you have an FI-6R. It's the not knowing when you'll catch chain or where or for how much longer that drives them crazy. I've never had an FI-6R, thank god.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:55 PM

I know , we are thinking maybe changes. But they have never given that type of lay in to anyone else. i even called my uncle who did 20 years & did the 6R. he said he’s never heard of it being called interview. lol , every person in huntsville and over the program tell me something different. the program division did tell me that they have until july 1st when the new class starts to have him moved if not he will be released like a fi 1. but then the guys that were granted to come home instead of having to do the program said that they gave their families the run around as well. it’s just ridiculous. the parole board did tell me to have him make sure to put he doesn’t have any drug charges or any of that for the fi change, he’s already going to be on a ankle monitor and then they have him in drug classes?
Old 02-16-2020, 05:45 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,279 Times in 1,687 Posts

I took Changes at Ramsey I back in 2018 and the first lay in I had to do with that was called an Education Lay in. It may be for something else, but when you said it is an Education Lay In, that's the first thing that came to mind.
No, you don't have to have had a drug or alcohol conviction to qualify for an FI-6R, all you had to do was to admit to any alcohol/drug usage when you first entered the prison system at Sociology when they go through your histories (family, substance abuse, education, residences, mental health and anything else they can pull out of you. Most of your transfer facilities like Gurney, Middleton or any facility that is set up for diagnostic intake is where they pump that kind of information out of you. The fact that you're new to the system and don't know any better is the opportunity where they hope to get the jump on you. The stuff you admit to is documented and in some cases detrimental. And from the perspective of the prisoner/inmate who is new that just got off the bus, they don't see that early on. They're not thinking in terms of what I say right now can have a bearing upon what happens when I make parole or the type of FI I receive. And I've seen this issue to do with the FI-6R happen just that very way. No, you didn't get caught for anything to do with drugs or alcohol, but you admitted to it in Sociology when you first hit the system. It's document and that's good enough for them.
Just be patient, Maria. The hard part is over with. He's coming home. Let him be the one that gets anxious and understandably so about the technical details of between now and when the day he gets out comes along. You need to be the one that calms him down and sees to it that he keeps his head about him. Keep him on a tight leash. He needs that from you. You're the voice of reason. You're the security blanket that he clings to right now. Make him keep his mind where his hands are if that makes any sense. Your role where he is concerned has changed a little bit because of the FI, you need to be the one that gets inside of his head and stays there until he gets out. Keep him calm and out of harm's way. He can lose that FI due to a temper tantrum or getting into a squabble with somebody over nothing. You catch a fighting without a weapon case when you've got an FI to go and brother, you just caught hell. You wont' get out. THey'll punish you for losing that FI over losing your cool Keep him on a tight leash, Maria.