Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 PM
5/5/05/ -7/3/08 NO MORE

Default I Need Help starting an Essay!

Hello Everyone My Problem Is I Don't Know How To Start An Essay Like I Have An Assgniment Due Sun. The Assgniment Consist Of Write A 500-700 Essay In Apa Format Summarizing And Paraphrasing The Contents Of 3 Sourses That I Find Be Careful Not To Plagarize.include At Least One Direct Quote And Cite It.

Ps. My Classes Are Getting Harder I Don't Know If I Can Keep Up I'm Always Late And Not Doing To Good Do Anyone Have Any Suggestions I'm At A Great Lost....

To relieze the value of a spouse
ask someone who doesn't have one

off 2 c the P.B.
Time waits 4 no one value every hour,min.,sec.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2005, 07:12 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,202 Times in 7,960 Posts

First, define your topic. . . did you have a choice or were you given a specific theme? Look up information from three different sources and take notes, then put together, in your own words, the information you've gathered. After that, find one quote that defines some part of your essay especially well and use it. Be sure to use quotation marks, or an indented paragraph to show that it is someone else's word, and cite your source, either as a footnote, or by saying something like "As described by XXX in his book YYYY,". (That's how you avoid plagiarism.)

I found it easiest to use notecards - one idea or one source per card. Then I could shuffle them around until the theme flowed most easily.

If you have too much classwork, perhaps you need to drop one class. And you can check in with wherever you're taking classes about finding a mentor or tutor.

Good luck

Last edited by nimuay; 10-20-2005 at 07:14 PM..
Old 10-20-2005, 07:25 PM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

One thing I would add to the above is, after you pick your subject, narrow it down. Then narrow it down again. For instance; say your theme is polluted ground water: narrow that down to ground water polluted by petroleum products, narrow that down to, how ground water effects health. The simpler your theme the less information you have to gather. Good Luck

CATHERINE
Old 10-20-2005, 09:45 PM
5/5/05/ -7/3/08 NO MORE

Thank-you I'm Talking About Re-entry Program I Thought It Would Be Much Easier But Its Not. I Don't Think I Can Drop A Class I Only Have Two But Sometime Its Two Too Many...

off 2 c the P.B.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
LBI, NJ lovin user

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2this05
Hello Everyone My Problem Is I Don't Know How To Start An Essay Like I Have An Assgniment Due Sun. The Assgniment Consist Of Write A 500-700 Essay In Apa Format Summarizing And Paraphrasing The Contents Of 3 Sourses That I Find Be Careful Not To Plagarize.include At Least One Direct Quote And Cite It.

Ps. My Classes Are Getting Harder I Don't Know If I Can Keep Up I'm Always Late And Not Doing To Good Do Anyone Have Any Suggestions I'm At A Great Lost....
Yes, notecards are helpful to move the info around - instead of having to rewrite and rewrite, I use them. If you don't have notecards use pieces of paper and you can shuffle them around, improvise. Don't be afraid of paraphrasing, just put the info into your own words. Best of luck.

P.S. don't be late for class ... its disruptive and probably makes the teacher feel disrespected. Bust your butt to get there on time, treat school like its another job. The teacher will see your effort, it makes a difference when you're in between 2 grades! Best wishes for a great paper!!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Satisfied

Good tips!!!

Hang in there Nu... It is hard sometimes. It just piles up and feels like too much. I've found that if I will put myself on a schedule of when I MUST do schoolwork (Even if it's just extra studying or getting ahead) that I do better. For example, I do reading on my lunch-hour a couple of days a week. It's a good use of that hour and I am glad to get back to work after that reading, but I'm awake and alert enough to pay attention and retain it.

Hang in there!!!

Jenn
Old 10-26-2005, 07:28 AM

Does your school have a writing center? Or something similar? At my school we have a writing center and its staffed by tutors who focus on compositions and essays. I had one of the tutors help me and he picked out my mistakes in my essay and made suggestions to make the paper better. Don't give up...schools have many resources to help you succeed. It's just a matter of finding them! Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:56 AM
5/5/05/ -7/3/08 NO MORE

Thank You I Will Look Into That Sadly I Didn't Complete My Paper I Just Didn't Understand It I Hope This Week Will Be Better.

off 2 c the P.B.