Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default Federal Government Jobs and a Felony Conviction

Someplace that we all thought was off limits because of a Felony Conviction, I am here to tell you: NOT! It can be done.

This is a excerpt from USAJobs the entry website for Federal Employment:

"Q: What if I am an ex-offender?

A: Being an ex-offender does not prevent you from obtaining Federal Employment. OPM or the hiring agency considers your criminal conduct in determining your suitability but there are no general prohibitions against hiring you. We consider a number of relevant factors such as the duties of the positions you have applied for, the nature and recency of the misconduct, and any evidence of rehabilitation. Although there are no general prohibitions against employing you in the Federal Government, there are some regulations which will prohibit you from working in certain positions if you have a specific conviction. The most common situation involves being convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence crimes under Federal or State law. These persons are "prohibited form employment in any position requiring the individual: to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition" (Public Law 1-4-208 Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997) Other statutory or regulatory debarments exist, but are rarely applicable. They cover debarment from Federal employment from such offenses as treason, inciting rebellion against the U.S., willful and unlawful destruction of public records, or knowingly and willfully advocating the overthrow of the U.S. Government. It is important for you provide all the required information about your criminal record when you apply for Federal employment. Then, either OPM or the employing agency can determine early if a specific prohibition exists".

Link to USAJobs: http://www.usajobs.gov/

As I said I am here to tell you that this is not off limits to us. I would suggest that if you are interested - try it - what do you have to lose? They can only say no, they can't take your birthday away! Sorry, old military expression.

From one who has been in your shoes all I can say to you is the old adage: "Nothing ventured - nothing gained.".

Good Luck in your job search, and know you are in our prayers!

Patti
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thumbs down Same As Everyone Else

There were two jobs posted for Park Ranger in Central,Pa. for the Army Corps of Engineers a few months back.I applied,but not a word from them.They are like many other employers out there who don't have the common courtesy to even give one a response.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

How long ago did you apply?

I would not give up it takes time, I can attest to that from when I was applying years ago, though supposedly it is quicker these days. But having been in the military for years I don't believe anything has changed that much.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Red face Recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady
How long ago did you apply?

I would not give up it takes time, I can attest to that from when I was applying years ago, though supposedly it is quicker these days. But having been in the military for years I don't believe anything has changed that much.
It has only been a few months, and this was for an unarmed position(not a Ranger who has law enforcement duties).I guess that I should be patient, but it does get discouraging. I know from my National Guard days that "hurry up and wait" is their m.o. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM

I just wanted to chime in on this one. I'm a felony sex offender, and I was able to get a government job working with the department of interior, that required security clearance!

Just being honest got my foot in the door. Knowing that I could do that job and do it well, got me the job.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sempiterna For This Useful Post:
blazekdb1 (06-23-2008), Butch Cassidy (11-16-2008), comeback_kid (10-15-2012), cried4tay (03-31-2011), FriscoLady (10-26-2008), Isweoriswenot (06-23-2008), LLLstevenLL (03-08-2013), LovinMYman09 (02-10-2011), prichslapped (12-26-2012), Redbanjo (09-05-2011), TeamB40 (12-30-2009), terrified2death (03-22-2009), TreyGeek (09-03-2008)
Old 06-23-2008, 03:57 PM

that's great. i guess there is hope for us convicted felons. i have been gradually losing hope with our lousy judicial system here in america.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempiterna View Post
I just wanted to chime in on this one. I'm a felony sex offender, and I was able to get a government job working with the department of interior, that required security clearance!

Just being honest got my foot in the door. Knowing that I could do that job and do it well, got me the job.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Fairytale Love

Sempiterna i am so happy for you way to go this gives hope when hope and a chance is needed
Old 11-15-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy View Post
There were two jobs posted for Park Ranger in Central,Pa. for the Army Corps of Engineers a few months back.I applied,but not a word from them.They are like many other employers out there who don't have the common courtesy to even give one a response.
I have to agree the lack of response is just juvenile, but i have a question did the job require you to carry any type of weapon.. I was told that a job where you have to carry a weapon is off limits. does this law very from state to state?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Arrow Park Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezlgcy13 View Post
I have to agree the lack of response is just juvenile, but i have a question did the job require you to carry any type of weapon.. I was told that a job where you have to carry a weapon is off limits. does this law very from state to state?
This was for an unarmed position.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Student of life

I also understand that the Army does offer waivers for civilian offenses, including felony offenses. Their enlistment age is up to 42 now, and the pay is pretty good especially when you consider that they provide food and housing for you. However, it is critical to understand that every where you are stationed, the chain of command will have your record and you must be the absolute best soldier that you possibly can. The UCMJ is not nearly as lenient as the civilian system. If you believe that you got a raw deal with the civilian court system, then don't even think about the military. When I was in 20 years ago, the Army had a 98% conviction rate! My case would have been thrown out of court immediately for illegal search, however in my General CM it was not even an issue to the judge.

For those just getting out - find a job of any type that will pay your bills and keep it! DO volunteer work if you want any chance of a Presidential Pardon, and be honest with all potential employers if they ask! After 5 years, you can petition the POTUS for a pardon, but only if you do everything right.

I am not allowed to post links yet, so google both subjects.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 11Charlie87 For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (03-22-2009), FriscoLady (03-19-2009), harlemtova (11-12-2009), Scorpion76 (11-17-2009)
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 AM

These are very encouraging words... I teach a job readiness class for a small college and each new class has two or more students who have some sort of charges hanging over their heads. Besides teaching, my toughest job is trying to encourage them to go back to school and make a difference. I have one that just completed the course and I truely believe that she will be one that shines in the future. If I could just make her believe that... BC, if you're reading this, "You will succeed in making a better life for yourself and your children"!
The Following User Says Thank You to Instructor09 For This Useful Post:
LLLstevenLL (03-08-2013)
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Marce from Tampa, FL

I am really glad to hear a bit of good news. It has shed some light for me on what Im going thru.

Last edited by anewstart33; 03-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: changed what i wrote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I want to say something here.

When I originally posted this on January 21, 2008 I thought to myself: ok if this is posted here let me try it.

I did and though it took me some time, I succeeded.

As Butch and others have posted here, you can obtain Federal Employment after a conviction.

My message over and over to anyone that has come home from prison has always been never Give Up!

Yes it is hard, and you will face challenges that those without a criminal conviction will not. But if you keep trying, if you never give up, you will succeed!

Patti
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Glad to be out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
I want to say something here.

When I originally posted this on January 21, 2008 I thought to myself: ok if this is posted here let me try it.

I did and though it took me some time, I succeeded.

As Butch and others have posted here, you can obtain Federal Employment after a conviction.

My message over and over to anyone that has come home from prison has always been never Give Up!

Yes it is hard, and you will face challenges that those without a criminal conviction will not. But if you keep trying, if you never give up, you will succeed!

Patti

Congratulations! May I ask what agency, or is it classified? Wouldn't that be great to get a clearance job!! Are you planning to accept the job offer, or did you just do it to see if you could?
The Following User Says Thank You to RobTheGreat For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (03-19-2009)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTheGreat View Post
Congratulations! May I ask what agency, or is it classified? Wouldn't that be great to get a clearance job!! Are you planning to accept the job offer, or did you just do it to see if you could?
Thank you!

No it is not a clearance job, had several of those of varying levels when I was active duty military, don't want another clearance! Too many chances of going back to prison for the least little thing! LOL!

I have accepted the position. San Francisco is my hometown and where my heart truly is. Yes, going Home was the primary goal, yet this position is truly icing on the cake.

I will post more on the job and the agency when I am more comfortable. Many individuals there know and stood with my family and I during our whole ordeal, however many don't.

Patti
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Yes I agree, you can get a job government job with a felony. I just interviewed today and I have to see how things go. Seems like the government is the only one hiring these days.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to lack10 For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (03-23-2009)
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 AM

Which agencys and what kinds of jobs? How long did the process take?

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by LetMeLiveAgain; 03-24-2009 at 05:48 AM..
Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 AM

This just means there isn't legislature prohibiting an ex-felon from submitting
an application that we all know very well will be summarily ignored.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver55 View Post
This just means there isn't legislature prohibiting an ex-felon from submitting
an application that we all know very well will be summarily ignored.
Have you tried ?

Several of us have and are working for the feds. So, do not assume.

Let me add though that if your charges were Federal, you may be correct.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 03-31-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeLiveAgain View Post
Which agencys and what kinds of jobs? How long did the process take?

I would try them all, except the obvious like the FBI, DEA, etc.

It took me two years of trying however the one that was pay dirt took less than a month.

Patti
Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I would try them all, except the obvious like the FBI, DEA, etc.

It took me two years of trying however the one that was pay dirt took less than a month.

Patti
Thanks. I understand the 2 years of trying, that way with private jobs lol but that it took only a month to get it once you're accepted is good news as I thought it would be longer process. Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll start giving it a try.

“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 AM

I sure hope that it is going to be ok once my guy gets out he was in the profession of saving lives its all he knows and he loves doing it so hopefully it can work out for us too
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeLiveAgain View Post
Thanks. I understand the 2 years of trying, that way with private jobs lol but that it took only a month to get it once you're accepted is good news as I thought it would be longer process. Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll start giving it a try.
It surprised me too. I have had ones that I applied for that I never heard anything one. Not even a notation as to what was the disposition of the job on USAJobs. Of the ones that I know I got further into the process for - the went silent on and I heard nothing. A couple I interviewed for and it took 5 months to go from start to turn down and one that there was not even the courtesy of a turn down.

So believe me I know it can get frustrating.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 04-01-2009 at 01:41 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic10 View Post
I sure hope that it is going to be ok once my guy gets out he was in the profession of saving lives its all he knows and he loves doing it so hopefully it can work out for us too

majestic, I don't know if this will help you now, but it is going to be ok, somewhere, somehow, and in some of the craziest ways God leads us to be where he wants us.

I never thought that the path I have followed since 1995 was the route my life would take. Read my background posts sometime I have traveled a similar route as your husband. All I wanted to do was give back to the people of this country that helped my family recover from WWII and welcomed us here with open arms in 1964.

My 20 years in the military seemingly down the drain by one rash decision of mine. Everything good and honorable in my life seemingly erased in one moment. Not true, not true, just a different chapter of that life. Took me awhile to realize that.

The last 14 years has not exactly been how I envisioned my life after retirement from the military.

I am definitely not in the spot where I saw myself in life at this age, actually it turned better for me.

Your husband and you will get to where your are wanted, it may not be where you want, doing what you want, that is the toughest thing to except.

But it will be ok and hopefully in the end, in the long run a better life for you. After what you are now facing is done and in the past.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 04-01-2009 at 02:10 AM..
Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Someplace that we all thought was off limits because of a Felony Conviction, I am here to tell you: NOT! It can be done.

This is a excerpt from USAJobs the entry website for Federal Employment:

"Q: What if I am an ex-offender?

A: Being an ex-offender does not prevent you from obtaining Federal Employment. OPM or the hiring agency considers your criminal conduct in determining your suitability but there are no general prohibitions against hiring you. We consider a number of relevant factors such as the duties of the positions you have applied for, the nature and recency of the misconduct, and any evidence of rehabilitation. Although there are no general prohibitions against employing you in the Federal Government, there are some regulations which will prohibit you from working in certain positions if you have a specific conviction. The most common situation involves being convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence crimes under Federal or State law. These persons are "prohibited form employment in any position requiring the individual: to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition" (Public Law 1-4-208 Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997) Other statutory or regulatory debarments exist, but are rarely applicable. They cover debarment from Federal employment from such offenses as treason, inciting rebellion against the U.S., willful and unlawful destruction of public records, or knowingly and willfully advocating the overthrow of the U.S. Government. It is important for you provide all the required information about your criminal record when you apply for Federal employment. Then, either OPM or the employing agency can determine early if a specific prohibition exists".

Link to USAJobs: http://www.usajobs.gov/

As I said I am here to tell you that this is not off limits to us. I would suggest that if you are interested - try it - what do you have to lose? They can only say no, they can't take your birthday away! Sorry, old military expression.

From one who has been in your shoes all I can say to you is the old adage: "Nothing ventured - nothing gained.".

Good Luck in your job search, and know you are in our prayers!

Patti

In Federal prison they had job fairs for government positions.