Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York State General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New York State General Prison Talk General Topics and Discussions dealing with the New York State Department of Corrections, NYS Prisoners, Support, Etc. Post anything here that does not fit into other NYS Forum categories.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

I don't know about enabling .. hmm.. but everyone needs A HAND UP some time in their life.. and yes KARMA IS REAL... but deeds and laws of KARMA COME FROM THE HEART... there are more important laws than man made laws ... no matter where I am or where I live when my son is released he'll be coming to live with me for as long as he needs to do so.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanked 1,075 Times in 453 Posts

well i pay taxes and i give you the okay to use my taxes to house a parolee, now if he messes up he has to get out lol.

better than all the other b.s. they claim to use it on. enabling a parolee to continue a life of crime by allowing him to stay with you? thats a little far off dont you think? one thing doesnt have to do with the other.

OP do whats best for you. section 8 will not find out unless you tell them,the po, or ur landlord. although the po has a right to inform ur landlord ive never actually heard of them doing that. the po will not dig into ur housing business and the odds of them asking are very slim. i just found out my cousin is on parole and he has been residing with his wife for 8 yrs. she is on section 8. they are not aware of this. she never added him to her lease and the landlord has an idea that he lives there but doesnt care as long as she deals wit her business as far as paying rent and avoiding any drama. a person doesnt live with you unless they stay with you for 30 days straight so i guess hes gonna have to skip one day lol

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to ricksbabe For This Useful Post:
panth3r (08-22-2008)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
ALMOST PAROLE TIME

I dont really have any comments on this topic because i believe its too controversial BUT reading all this just made me think of an old quote my granny always told me..
"Never look down on anyone, unless your reaching down -picking them up."

HE WAS RECOMMENDED FOR PAROLE TODAY.. NOW WERE JUST WAITING ON A RELEASE DATE!!! ..........
Most importantly, love each other deeply, because love will cause many sins to be forgiven. 1 Peter 4:8
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mk806 For This Useful Post:
BNN Van Service (09-21-2008), geneva11798 (08-22-2008), Mrs.MMitchell (04-25-2009), panth3r (08-23-2008), ricksbabe (08-23-2008), yaya'sbaby (08-23-2008)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk806 View Post
I dont really have any comments on this topic because i believe its too controversial BUT reading all this just made me think of an old quote my granny always told me..
"Never look down on anyone, unless your reaching down -picking them up."

girl that was very well put.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT167 View Post
Thank you, and I understand what you are saying but what i'm saying is do they have an automatic way of finding out. Does parole know that you have sec 8 if you dont tell them. This looks like any other bldg its not a housing project and if you dont tell does sec 8 have a way of finding out. If you get a cool p.o who doesn't call the landlord can they find out.
If it is illegal the PO is going to report it. If you don't tell them it is the same as not reporting and you can potentially be arrested for committing fraud against the government. Why risk it? It can turn into jail or prison time for you. If you have children it will affect them.

Can he parole some place else until the two of you can afford to either get an apartment that isn't Section 8 or purchase your own home? That would be the safest way to avoid any complications with law enforcement and the government.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crone View Post
If it is illegal the PO is going to report it. If you don't tell them it is the same as not reporting and you can potentially be arrested for committing fraud against the government. Why risk it? It can turn into jail or prison time for you. If you have children it will affect them.

Can he parole some place else until the two of you can afford to either get an apartment that isn't Section 8 or purchase your own home? That would be the safest way to avoid any complications with law enforcement and the government.
well said,, why risk it and have things go really bad just starting out again.
Good luck to you,,you are trying to help but help yourself out too..Im sure his love for you would not have you wanting you to cheat for him
Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,149 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
I have a question is there anyone who is on sec 8 and has a parolee living with them? please advise I dont know how this goes if you do not report it to sec 8 can they still find out.

Shhhhh thats what i plan on doing.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 AM

I'm just seeing these post,and its real funny to see I have had some of the same ?'s that you guys have already answered. But I do think it is unfair for the woman and children that are out here.Struggling to make ends meet, not be allowed to seek some kind of subsidy to help them.When their husband, boyfriends etc..,are not there. And in many cases the same person that is away helped with the bills.It is really unfair to have to give it up for the mistakes that one might have made, in any case I just feel it very unfortunate for anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to shamika2 For This Useful Post:
geneva11798 (09-14-2008)
Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 AM
Missin my baby like CRAZY
Donation Award 

I see what you're saying about wanting him to come stay with you, but the rules are clearly stated in the paperwork you signed with your lease. Parolee or not, HE HAS TO BE APPROVED TO LIVE THERE. I'm not gonna say don't do it, I'm just saying what happens when you guys get caught? You're gonna get evicted and then where does he go? You'd really be doing nothing for him.

Just please make sure you think of everything before you invite him back into your home. We women wait long enough to get these men back...why have it taken away by something we could have found a better way to do? Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to bmw82301 For This Useful Post:
Ronnie (08-31-2008)
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw82301 View Post
I see what you're saying about wanting him to come stay with you, but the rules are clearly stated in the paperwork you signed with your lease. Parolee or not, HE HAS TO BE APPROVED TO LIVE THERE. I'm not gonna say don't do it, I'm just saying what happens when you guys get caught? You're gonna get evicted and then where does he go? You'd really be doing nothing for him.

Just please make sure you think of everything before you invite him back into your home. We women wait long enough to get these men back...why have it taken away by something we could have found a better way to do? Good luck!
Ladies, here is my thing....We been talking about this section 8 and Parole a little long now...Whatever decisions you all decide to make....Keep it to yourself. Why I say this because believe or not...We have watchful eyes...The constant talk about this is only going to lead to a redflag so do us all a favor and just fall back off the subject pm eachother about it if you like but lets just wrap this up...I know we all have issues and some of our issues are due to our housing.....lets just be easy on this subject now. It's messed up that our men is not able to come home to some us due to the type of housing some of us have, but we all can talk about the problem with it and not do sh!t about it....or we can see what can be done...How can we find a way to do something about it.

Last edited by geneva11798; 08-31-2008 at 09:23 PM..
Old 09-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Donation Award 

I think that the discussion here is a good one. It is good to hear others points of view. I would suggest only that one keep their final decision on this to themselves. Remember this is the internet and an open board so you don't want to divulge anything that might come against you later on.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 AM
*KING DAQUAN ALLAH'S 17*

I am with u on that Ms. Geneva.
geneva11798 (09-01-2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM

I know in buffalo new york they have a small problem with that because when my baby wrote me he told me not to tell his parole that the housing was with section 8 and i am a taxpayer and a student so just because the housing is a section 8 there are still alot of people who live in my complex with there family and there parole say it is okay it just depends on the crime that i know of. PEOPLE REMEMBER WE ARE HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT AND NOT TAKE JUDGMENT IT BAD ENOUGH OUR MEN OR WOMAN BE JUDGE ENOUGH THEN WE GET ON HERE AND WANT ADVICE AND THEN GET JUDGE OR JUDGE OTHERS SO JUST THINK ABOUT THAT NEXT TIME YOUR LOOKING AT POSTS AND REPLYING TO THEM.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
One Day At A Time...
Donation Award 

Here in Rochester a parolee can live with someone receiving Section 8 depending on the nature of his charges. I think if there are drug charges they cannot live with the individual. I know of a gentleman who was paroled to his moms with a weapons charge and Section 8 approved his living there. It's better to report the truth, then they will most likely do a background check and do a determination from there. It's not worth lying and getting caught then losing everything all together.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
can sec 8 find out if you have a parolee living with you. What I mean is do they have any links with parole if no one tells them can they find out automatically. Need to know asap.
I know your questions has been sort of answered in many ways. Yes, parole will have access to this information; although not automatic. Depending on their review of your residence, they will know who has ownership of the property. What they do with it is up to them. From the conversation the presumption is that you do not plan to confirm his living with you to your landlord or revise your lease.

My opinion on the matter is not so much your situation; but the real obstacles facing release for ex-offenders. The most stablizing and supportive resource for ex-offenders is family and their support system. Systemically, none of these items seem to be in complete agreement with housing, living needs and maintaining family ties. I think getting out mimicks being in. Perhaps reaching out to a re-entry program can help you legally navigate some of these decisions so you can make an absolutely informed decision and plan for his re-entry and both of your future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rywill For This Useful Post:
geneva11798 (09-06-2008), panth3r (09-07-2008)
Old 09-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rywill View Post
I know your questions has been sort of answered in many ways. Yes, parole will have access to this information; although not automatic. Depending on their review of your residence, they will know who has ownership of the property. What they do with it is up to them. From the conversation the presumption is that you do not plan to confirm his living with you to your landlord or revise your lease.

My opinion on the matter is not so much your situation; but the real obstacles facing release for ex-offenders. The most stablizing and supportive resource for ex-offenders is family and their support system. Systemically, none of these items seem to be in complete agreement with housing, living needs and maintaining family ties. I think getting out mimicks being in. Perhaps reaching out to a re-entry program can help you legally navigate some of these decisions so you can make an absolutely informed decision and plan for his re-entry and both of your future.

Thanks so much that was so well said.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:22 AM
angel12569
Donation Award 

I know someone who had section 8 and lost it because of having someone live there who wasn't suppose too. There are ways of finding out, but personally I wouldn't take the chance. Its dishonest and we all know its a crime and we all should know through experience that crime doesn't pay. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to angel12569 For This Useful Post:
Ronnie (09-16-2008)
Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 PM
MzHeavenwaiting4Shyleek

wow this is interesting do u kno how much wasteful thing our tax dollar go to babysitting for congress mens dogs there dry cleaning etc.. so many offenders sent back into society all alone r set up for failure the halfways houses and shelters are breeding grounds for failure and criminal activity. With all the scams going on im sure their is something these politicans can be doing besides worrying about who is allowing who to reside where as long as u work and pay ur tax dollars and ur portion of the rent there are bigger fish to fry how about they put that much time in effort into keepin the landlords keeping the property livable such as repairs and such and if setion 8 does find out and it does become and issue there is a process to ur termination from the program which includes hearings and appeals so thru christ all things are possible and as long as u use ur heart as ur guide things will work out fine karma comin back is believe by me to mean if ur doing something tryin to harm some one else
geneva11798 (09-14-2008)
Old 09-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Donation Award 

If the PPO sees the inmate living in Section 8 housing and if it is perceived that that is illegal then the inmate could be charged with trying to defraud th government. Again, why take that chance and put your loved one's freedom at risk? Is it really worth it? Crime doesn't pay. Isn't that how most of us ended up on PTO to begin with?
The Following User Says Thank You to Crone For This Useful Post:
Ronnie (09-16-2008)
Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzheaven View Post
wow this is interesting do u kno how much wasteful thing our tax dollar go to babysitting for congress mens dogs there dry cleaning etc.. so many offenders sent back into society all alone r set up for failure the halfways houses and shelters are breeding grounds for failure and criminal activity. With all the scams going on im sure their is something these politicans can be doing besides worrying about who is allowing who to reside where as long as u work and pay ur tax dollars and ur portion of the rent there are bigger fish to fry how about they put that much time in effort into keepin the landlords keeping the property livable such as repairs and such and if setion 8 does find out and it does become and issue there is a process to ur termination from the program which includes hearings and appeals so thru christ all things are possible and as long as u use ur heart as ur guide things will work out fine karma comin back is believe by me to mean if ur doing something tryin to harm some one else
Thumbs up to you Mzheaven you couldnt have said it better. I feel the same exact way in my opinion, there is so much more going on in the world and so many things to be worrying about then for anyone to be worried about a man/woman coming home living with his family because there is no other option but Shelters which tend to house more then one parolee at a time...Most men come home and have no choice but to go into a shelter because either they family have moved away or may not have a family at all. Those is the ones that need the shelters more than anyone else because usually after doing sometime in prison. A person dont have money anymore, they are basically coming back in to society with nothing. The ones that have family and wives and so forth they should be able to come home to they love ones without being worried about is something going to be taken away from them due to them living there. They are basically set up to fail. I live 2 streets away from a shelter that house parolees and guess what? out of the 12 that is living there 10 of them is sex offenders. .
It is just all to crazy. I mean If there is a way for a person to come home to they love ones, they should not be forbid to do so...They have already done the time for the crime they have done. Coming home with so many odds against them...They feel as if they are being punished for the crime they have already served time for. I really dont know if the rules would ever change but the politicians, Governor Patterson, and whomever that can do something to change these rules should do so.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Donation Award 

I am not sure if this will ever change. Losing their right to vote is also one of those things that may never change. Maybe I am thinking about this too simplistically but their loses are really just part of the consequence for the action.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I have a question is there anyone who is on sec 8 and has a parolee living with them? please advise I dont know how this goes if you do not report it to sec 8 can they still find out.

I think the housing rule is for drug convictions. I don't know for sure about section 8. I would think that it depends on your area. I know people in housing in a city area that can do almost anything they want to without anyone saying anything. Then there are some areas where everyone knows your business before you know it and they can't wait to cause trouble for you. I also know of someone in a large city that has her "husband" living with her but not on her lease. He gets his mail at a friends and section 8 has no idea that he is there. They have been living like that for over 10 years and are not in public housing. I guess it depends on a lot of different things.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

Exclamation Dont Do It!! My Sister Was An Attorney For Hud!!

My Sister Was An Attorney For Hud And Is Now An Attorney For Homeland Security.. I'll Put It To You Like This She Mae Her Career On The Backs Of Women Like You (no Offense) Who Think They Can Beat The System!!! I Tell My Friens All The Time.. You Can Committ All Sorts Of Crimes And Get Away With Them.. But The Federal Government Is Not To Be Played With.. Depending On The Severity Of The Infraction Fines And Lost Of Housing Can Be Imposed.. This Includes Not Being Eligible For Any Sort Of Federal Subsidy Again... And In Worst Case Senerios Imprisonment!!! I Live In Ny Too.. She Busted A Whole Lot Of People In Redhook Projects Once And They Went To Federal Prison After Being Convicted... You'll Never Know Who Could Find Out And Rat You Out!!! A Neighbor... Housing My Find Out.. A Jealous Friend... Anyone.. So My Advice Is.... No They Don't Have A System.. But Yes They Can Find Out... And When They Do.. Well Hmmmmm I Can Only Imagine It Won't Be Pretty!!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:17 AM
Donation Award 

I agree. I think for me when issues like this arise I always think about what's the worst that could happen; which always makes me walk away from situations like these and find another alternative.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM

im goin thru the same thing
did u ever get a straight answer ma?